Three Hours of Sunlight Per Day Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2013

Started by drici, February 17, 2013, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 14, 2013, 03:18:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2013, 03:04:19 PM
Surprised by regal's picks.

Clonoe, Kilcoo, Roslea, Ballinderry, Cross, Burren all in the wrong category for me. Possibly St.Galls too.

If we play well, we could beat the Donegal champions in Donegal. That sets up a game against either Cavan's newest champions and Roslea. Bookies will have us favs to reach final, but we aren't firing on all cylinders, I even caught Sean Kelly having a bottle of beer!!!

The other side of the draw will be a war of attrition, whoever comes through to the final will have had to work hard to get there, some cracking games to watch, and I can't see any wide winning margins in them

You boys will coast it to the final.  Donegal clubs are traditionally weak.  Roslea have lost 2 key players and probably won't get past Ballinagh.  Ballinagh are in Ulster for the first time after winning their first championship and we now that teams rarely come from nowhere to win the Ulster championship so they can be discounted.  It is set up nicely for you boys to build up nicely and play a team that has come through 2( or maybe even 3 if it is Clonoe or Ballinderry) to tough, attritional games with the likelihood of having lost a few players to injury suspension.

I'd say all the teams in the other side of the draw would like that pathway but the teams in our side of the draw will be glad they don't have to meet Ballinderry, Burren, Cross Clonoe so will be seeking to get to the Ulster final also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

straightred

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 14, 2013, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2013, 02:35:41 PM
Quote from: straightred on October 13, 2013, 08:37:29 PM
Thought scotstown were impressive today and they could well be one to watch in ulster this year. Good spread of forwards (which was clontibrets downfall - they only had McManus)

McManus is a class act though. He moves so smoothly and kicks very well off both feet. I hope he gets his All Star this year. Scotstown were far better as a team though, and they had some nice forwards as you say. Who was that #15? He looked fairly tidy and efficient, with a stylish left foot as well.

Conor McCarthy was the no 15.  He was the corner forward on the Monaghan minor team who showed up strongly against Mayo in the AI.  He is a very talented lad and is a real star in the making.

While McManus probably should get an all-star I doubt he will. They would have needed to get to the AI semi at least (with him performing well on the day)

McCarthy was the standout Monaghan performer on a minor team that didn't do themselves justice on the day against mayo - scored a cracking goal and a few lovely points. I think he has only just started playing senior as well. A bright future ahead of him.

rodney trotter

Quote from: straightred on October 14, 2013, 05:10:00 PM
Thought scotstown were impressive today and they could well be one to watch in ulster this year. Good spread of forwards (which was clontibrets downfall - they only had McManus)

McManus is a class act though. He moves so smoothly and kicks very well off both feet. I hope he gets his All Star this year. Scotstown were far better as a team though, and they had some nice forwards as you say. Who was that #15? He looked fairly tidy and efficient, with a stylish left foot as well.

Conor McCarthy was the no 15.  He was the corner forward on the Monaghan minor team who showed up strongly against Mayo in the AI.  He is a very talented lad and is a real star in the making.

While McManus probably should get an all-star I doubt he will. They would have needed to get to the AI semi at least (with him performing well on the day)

McCarthy was the standout Monaghan performer on a minor team that didn't do themselves justice on the day against mayo - scored a cracking goal and a few lovely points. I think he has only just started playing senior as well. A bright future ahead of him.

Didn't see the game yesterday but was impressed with McCarthy playing with Monaghan Minors. Do you reckon he will be drafted into the Senior Panel next year or has he another year Minor?

straightred

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2013, 05:17:06 PM

Didn't see the game yesterday but was impressed with McCarthy playing with Monaghan Minors. Do you reckon he will be drafted into the Senior Panel next year or has he another year Minor?
Don't think he's a minor next year and I suppose the old "if you're good enough you're old enough" rule applies. A full forward line of himself, hughes and McManus next year would be as good as anything else in Ulster

Schkite

Quote from: straightred on October 14, 2013, 05:24:14 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 14, 2013, 05:17:06 PM

Don't think he's a minor next year and I suppose the old "if you're good enough you're old enough" rule applies. A full forward line of himself, hughes and McManus next year would be as good as anything else in Ulster

It's a bit premature to be thinking about McCarthy starting for Monaghan just yet, but he's one for the future no doubt. That was only his second championship game for Scotstown yesterday I believe, and he performed on the big day. And as was said he was the only Monaghan minor forward to turn up against Mayo in Croke Park. I'd definitely be in favour of him getting a call up to the panel, and sure if he impresses in the McKenna Cup and subsequently the League and works his way into the team, then he'll have earned it.

But you still have the likes of Christopher McGuinness there vying for that corner-forward spot, and he's a few years of senior championship football under his belt. I also expect to see alot more of Jack McCarron(son of all-star Ray) next year, he was a late sub against Tyrone and he's coming along nicely. It's definitely encouraging to see a promising young forward like McCarthy coming through though, at times we'd little coming through in that area. There were a few good forwards on the county minor team this year, Fergal McMahon is another and he did well for Monaghan Harps in the semi-final against Clontibret when we only edged them out after a replay. McCarthy looks to be the best equipped for the step up to senior level though, as his performance yesterday suggests.

imtommygunn

McBrearty, Murphy, McFadden hard to beat in Ireland never mind ulster...

I thought the 11 for scotstown very useful too. McCarthy very good but tended to turn back onto his left a bit too much which county players would soon be wise too. (Corey got wise to it but possibly just wasn't quick enough). Definitely looks to have a lot of potential though. Scotstown could be hard to beat as they didn't seem too reliant on county players too.

I was surprised how much better scotstown were but I think it was a combination of everything going right for them and everything wrong for clontibret.

Did McGleenan say they're good children when describing his team afterwards??

spuds

Quote from: Schkite on October 14, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

It's a bit premature to be thinking about McCarthy starting for Monaghan just yet, but he's one for the future no doubt. That was only his second championship game for Scotstown yesterday I believe, and he performed on the big day. And as was said he was the only Monaghan minor forward to turn up against Mayo in Croke Park. I'd definitely be in favour of him getting a call up to the panel, and sure if he impresses in the McKenna Cup and subsequently the League and works his way into the team, then he'll have earned it.

But you still have the likes of Christopher McGuinness there vying for that corner-forward spot, and he's a few years of senior championship football under his belt. I also expect to see alot more of Jack McCarron(son of all-star Ray) next year, he was a late sub against Tyrone and he's coming along nicely. It's definitely encouraging to see a promising young forward like McCarthy coming through though, at times we'd little coming through in that area. There were a few good forwards on the county minor team this year, Fergal McMahon is another and he did well for Monaghan Harps in the semi-final against Clontibret when we only edged them out after a replay. McCarthy looks to be the best equipped for the step up to senior level though, as his performance yesterday suggests.

Know he is not in first flush of youth but is Tommy Freeman not considered a starting option anymore ?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Schkite

Quote from: spuds on October 14, 2013, 05:56:05 PM
Quote from: Schkite on October 14, 2013, 05:46:20 PM

Know he is not in first flush of youth but is Tommy Freeman not considered a starting option anymore ?

In a word, no. He was only used in cameo appearance this year and I don't think that'll change. Time waits for no man. He doesn't have quite the same pace as he had but is a great experienced option to take off the bench if needed. It remains to be seen if he stays on though, especially given that he's not a first choice starter anymore. I heard him say after the Ulster final that he was glad he gave it "one more year", so who knows.

general_lee

For me, a lot depends on the availability of Crossmaglen's injured/missing players.

Even with the current players missing they'd be my favourites against every team still left in the competition.

If they get a full squad or at least near full strength I'd fancy them to retain their title, with the main contenders being Burren, St Gall's and Scotstown as darkhorses.

Milltown Row2

Going to head down to Ballybofey on the sat night (2nd), maybe stay in Jacksons, will  the game be defo on and no f**king about due to the International rules?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sam03/05

Ballinderry were by far better team against Clonoe. 4 points flattered Clonoe, Ballinderry just had a bit too much all over the pitch for them!

general_lee

Crossmaglen overcame a tame enough challenge from Cullyhanna this evening.

Close enough in the early exchanges but as the game wore on so did the gap between the sides.

It's amazing how Cross can cope having many key men out. Their younger lads really stepped up to the plate, where other teams would be lost at sea losing players of the calibre of J. Clarke.

Cullyhanna have some outstanding individuals but I wouldn't even have them in the top 3 in the county so tonight was pretty much a foregone conclusion, albeit many people expected it to be much closer. The effortlessness with which Cross can open up big leads in the space of a few minutes is truly amazing. With Kilcoo squeezing past Burren in Down, there's a cracker in store in Newry in two weeks time!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 20, 2013, 07:33:53 PM
Crossmaglen overcame a tame enough challenge from Cullyhanna this evening.

Close enough in the early exchanges but as the game wore on so did the gap between the sides.

It's amazing how Cross can cope having many key men out. Their younger lads really stepped up to the plate, where other teams would be lost at sea losing players of the calibre of J. Clarke.

Cullyhanna have some outstanding individuals but I wouldn't even have them in the top 3 in the county so tonight was pretty much a foregone conclusion, albeit many people expected it to be much closer. The effortlessness with which Cross can open up big leads in the space of a few minutes is truly amazing. With Kilcoo squeezing past Burren in Down, there's a cracker in store in Newry in two weeks time!

Like a home fixture for Cross ;)

There was only one shock and that was Burren getting beat by Kilcoo. Fair play to them and they will have learnt form last year, but Cross again should have too much for them again

general_lee

Would have had the Down final as a 50/50 game so not that big a shock, though I had fancied Burren myself, so fair play to Kilcoo.

Agree that it should be another formality for Cross but Kilcoo will probably pose a lot more problems than last time round; can't see Cross getting another 11 point lead.