The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Taylor on July 12, 2017, 08:22:27 AM
RTE are cat as is the analysis.
Embarrassing from a national broadcaster.

Imagine if Sky had the full package - the games would be hyped no end AND it would certainly generate more interest
Look at what sky did to rugby league.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2017, 08:41:33 AM

Imagine if Sky had the full package - the games would be hyped no end AND it would certainly generate more interest
Look at what sky did to rugby league.

?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jinxy on July 11, 2017, 08:45:20 PM
Quote from: LilySavage on July 11, 2017, 01:49:07 AM
The comparison was made between a weekly programme on domestic soccer and one on GAA. Soccer Republic is better despite a much lower viewership and match attendances. And don't mention the National League whatever you do. Sure we'll catch that on the wireless, theres a Womens 6Nations game on RTE2 instead.
At the weekend they coupled up Tommy Carr and German Canning again for f**k sake. Ger clearly lost any interest in Gaelic Football when Larry Tompkins last laced up his boots. Tommy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. And that's being kind to him.

You can understand why he chose to just go with 'Ger' from an early age.
Late to the party but this made me lol.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: criostlinn on July 10, 2017, 09:54:39 AM
Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2017, 11:29:51 PM
Thought Tomas Quinn was excellent tonight.

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

i agree 100% the TSG bowing to the Dubs again, we had the same scenario with Ciaran Whelan last year on Keegan. The Dublin media must fear us and trying to derail another All Ireland for us. Think it time mayo media organised a campaign to defend ourselves.

dublin7

Quote from: mayoaremagic on July 12, 2017, 10:49:42 AM

RTE must be under severe pressure from sponsors to get back in Dublins good books.

Like ffs, the Commercial and Marketing Manager for Dublin GAA brought on as a pundit on the show.Can nobody see the irony of this after the ass Jim Gavin made of himself a couple of weeks ago. I could only laugh when I seen him talking about zoomed in grainy footage of Cillian O'Connor that shows nothing

i agree 100% the TSG bowing to the Dubs again, we had the same scenario with Ciaran Whelan last year on Keegan. The Dublin media must fear us and trying to derail another All Ireland for us. Think it time mayo media organised a campaign to defend ourselves.

Mossy writes for the Irish Examiner too, but he probably only got that gig to give the paper access to Jim Gavin  ::)

joemamas

Quote from: dublin7 on July 12, 2017, 11:58:56 AM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on July 12, 2017, 10:49:42 AM

Mossy writes for the Irish Examiner too, but he probably only got that gig to give the paper access to Jim Gavin  ::)

You know what, irony of your statement is that you may not be a million miles off there.

Dublin Inc. is what it is, on the field they play a good brand of football, (with the exception of Kilkennys antics of running back towards his own goal with the ball in final 5 or 10 minutes).

The other 31 counties will never ever match their population, or their sponsorship or the amount of back room people they employ. But please spare me the pathetic PR machine, whether it is Ciaran Whealan (a decent fella btw) or Mossy Quinn, who I don't know from Adam. They don't need to go there full stop. They have enough of resources as it is.

I remember that tool Marty Morrisey interviewing two Dublin players on the radio after a game a year or two ago, and he started the interview by thanks the Dublin's players PR person for bringing them up to be interviewed. To me it was a wtf moment if ever there was one.

Rossfan

And don't forget the new Toyota every 6 months... 
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Telly is basically on the way out. People under 30 watch far less. Everything is online for the young wans.
The problem is how to get people to pay for content. Telly does it by way of ads . Maybe the level they pitch TSG at gets the most viewers and the highest ad revenue.

If RTE showed matches plus good analysis online would people pay for it?

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2017, 02:23:25 AM

Telly is basically on the way out. People under 30 watch far less. Everything is online for the young wans.
The problem is how to get people to pay for content. Telly does it by way of ads . Maybe the level they pitch TSG at gets the most viewers and the highest ad revenue.

Well I and thousands of others watch the NFL on the gamepass app rather than sky and there is even a thing called redzone on it which has no adds!! It seems to work alright for American Football!!

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 13, 2017, 09:21:55 AM

Well I and thousands of others watch the NFL on the gamepass app rather than sky and there is even a thing called redzone on it which has no adds!! It seems to work alright for American Football!!
It is hard to get people to pay for stuff in certain countries

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2017, 12:00:33 PM

Bit of a myth Seaf , there is always a certain section of society at the top and bottom that don't want to pay for things in every country. Plenty of Irish people pay for Sky Sports for rugby/soccer, pay for American football on gamepass and what about our TV licence?? My brother who lives abroad happily pays for the GAA go app so if the GAA provided a proper GAA subscription service for the majority of club & county games I think you would be surprised how many of us would happily pay.
If it was just the current outdated Sunday Game RTE produces I doubt many would pay but I think the onus is on the GAA to take the reins here and TG4 along with Sky show what can be done with some real thought and innoviation is put in to producing a GAA live & highlights program!!

seafoid

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 13, 2017, 12:16:57 PM

Bit of a myth Seaf , there is always a certain section of society at the top and bottom that don't want to pay for things in every country. Plenty of Irish people pay for Sky Sports for rugby/soccer, pay for American football on gamepass and what about our TV licence?? My brother who lives abroad happily pays for the GAA go app so if the GAA provided a proper GAA subscription service for the majority of club & county games I think you would be surprised how many of us would happily pay.
If it was just the current outdated Sunday Game RTE produces I doubt many would pay but I think the onus is on the GAA to take the reins here and TG4 along with Sky show what can be done with some real thought and innoviation is put in to producing a GAA live & highlights program!!
RTE are working with different models for kids who don't watch TV. Maybe they could do something for GAA fans. If they already havé the material it wouldn't necessarily be expensive. But it would need imagination.

Denn Forever

I can't believe any one watch the analysis during the football games.  I think we can guess what they say.  If you do watch it it is because it is like a scab you  can't leave alone.
Now the analysts for the hurling are good.  It almost seems like an arguement between 3 lads who take no notice of Michael Lyster.  And  the seem to know what they are talking about (well to someone who's never played hurling).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Crete Boom

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2017, 12:57:32 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 13, 2017, 12:16:57 PM

RTE are working with different models for kids who don't watch TV. Maybe they could do something for GAA fans. If they already havé the material it wouldn't necessarily be expensive. But it would need imagination.

Exactly Seaf and I do think in the next 5 years or so we will see a change for the good!

magpie seanie

What I find hilarious is that they show the "highlights" and then focus on an incident they may not have shown in those "highlights". It's amateur hour. If it was an U20 or ladies rugby match though......