Devastated GAA star gets 48-week ban for UK match

Started by Eamonnca1, November 11, 2014, 01:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

QuoteDevastated GAA star gets 48-week ban for UK match

Joe McGillycuddy in action for Glenbeigh/Glencar in Kerry.

A YOUNG GAA player has been left "devastated" following the handing down of a 48-week ban for playing in a 'sevens' tournament in England on the weekend of the All-Ireland.

Joe McGillycuddy, who plays with Kerry club Glenbeigh/ Glencar, was hit with the ban when he told the GAA he had played with the Leicester-based Naomh Padraig club in a seven-a-side tournament against St Jude's, despite being registered with the Kerry club.

Mr McGillycuddy, who lives and works in Leicester but commutes home to play with Glenbeigh/Glencar, said he wasn't aware that it was an officially sanctioned GAA competition.

He now faces losing out on participating in his club's upcoming clash against Brosna in the Kerry Junior Championship semi-final.

Should his team progress, he will also miss out on being involved in any county, provincial or All-Ireland club championship matches.

Two four-time All-Ireland winners, former Kerry star Sean O'Sullivan and McGillycuddy's clubmate in Glenbeigh/Glencar Darran O'Sullivan, have condemned the decision, taken following a hearing of the case at Croke Park last Thursday.

A subsequent appeal to the GAA's Central Appeals Committee was unsuccessful, leaving McGillycuddy with the only hope that his case will be reconsidered under the Reinstate Rule.

This allows a player who has served a period of suspension to be reinstated because of the hardship caused by the ban.

Chairman of Glenbeigh/Glencar GAA club Aidan Roche said the decision was particularly disappointing as it was McGillycuddy who had "put his hands up".

He said: "We decided to be totally honest and upfront about the situation once we found out because we didn't want it to cost the club further down the line should we progress in competitions and Joe having played for us in them.

"We're very disappointed for Joe personally but we will just have to let the matter lie for the moment until we see how the coming weeks pan out for the club," he added.

Former Kerry star Sean O'Sullivan tweeted: "It's decisions like this will turn guys off playing the game ... joke".

Kerry footballer Darran O'Sullivan tweeted: "Absolute joke that my club mate has received a 48-week ban for playing in a 'Mickey Mouse' Sevens competition for an English club at the weekend."

He said his clubmate had been rewarded for wages lost and the cost of flights home by getting a ban for playing in a "nothing, kiss-my-a***" competition.

McGillycuddy has made himself available to his home club throughout this season, regularly flying home from Leicester to Co Kerry for matches.

The Glenbeigh/Glencar club has also invested heavily in the player, who is seen as a key member of the squad that has gone from Division Four to Division One, so his loss is a major blow.

How the hell is this in violation of any rule? If it was a sevens tournament then it wasn't an actual county championship or league, therefore there was no need for him to get anyone's permission to play in it. I hope he appeals and gets the suspension lifted.

lenny

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 11, 2014, 01:14:47 AM
QuoteDevastated GAA star gets 48-week ban for UK match

Joe McGillycuddy in action for Glenbeigh/Glencar in Kerry.

A YOUNG GAA player has been left "devastated" following the handing down of a 48-week ban for playing in a 'sevens' tournament in England on the weekend of the All-Ireland.

Joe McGillycuddy, who plays with Kerry club Glenbeigh/ Glencar, was hit with the ban when he told the GAA he had played with the Leicester-based Naomh Padraig club in a seven-a-side tournament against St Jude's, despite being registered with the Kerry club.

Mr McGillycuddy, who lives and works in Leicester but commutes home to play with Glenbeigh/Glencar, said he wasn't aware that it was an officially sanctioned GAA competition.

He now faces losing out on participating in his club's upcoming clash against Brosna in the Kerry Junior Championship semi-final.

Should his team progress, he will also miss out on being involved in any county, provincial or All-Ireland club championship matches.

Two four-time All-Ireland winners, former Kerry star Sean O'Sullivan and McGillycuddy's clubmate in Glenbeigh/Glencar Darran O'Sullivan, have condemned the decision, taken following a hearing of the case at Croke Park last Thursday.

A subsequent appeal to the GAA's Central Appeals Committee was unsuccessful, leaving McGillycuddy with the only hope that his case will be reconsidered under the Reinstate Rule.

This allows a player who has served a period of suspension to be reinstated because of the hardship caused by the ban.

Chairman of Glenbeigh/Glencar GAA club Aidan Roche said the decision was particularly disappointing as it was McGillycuddy who had "put his hands up".

He said: "We decided to be totally honest and upfront about the situation once we found out because we didn't want it to cost the club further down the line should we progress in competitions and Joe having played for us in them.

"We're very disappointed for Joe personally but we will just have to let the matter lie for the moment until we see how the coming weeks pan out for the club," he added.

Former Kerry star Sean O'Sullivan tweeted: "It's decisions like this will turn guys off playing the game ... joke".

Kerry footballer Darran O'Sullivan tweeted: "Absolute joke that my club mate has received a 48-week ban for playing in a 'Mickey Mouse' Sevens competition for an English club at the weekend."

He said his clubmate had been rewarded for wages lost and the cost of flights home by getting a ban for playing in a "nothing, kiss-my-a***" competition.

McGillycuddy has made himself available to his home club throughout this season, regularly flying home from Leicester to Co Kerry for matches.

The Glenbeigh/Glencar club has also invested heavily in the player, who is seen as a key member of the squad that has gone from Division Four to Division One, so his loss is a major blow.

How the hell is this in violation of any rule? If it was a sevens tournament then it wasn't an actual county championship or league, therefore there was no need for him to get anyone's permission to play in it. I hope he appeals and gets the suspension lifted.

That decision reeks.

Milltown Row2

It's a Croke Park recognised competition, same as Kilmacud, has been for years, any club entering knows the rules
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyHarp

Why did he play? It very frustrating when lads appear out of the blue and play in these competitions. No sympathy for him.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Surely he had to know representing any registered GAA club on the field rather than the one he was a member of was an incredibly risky proposition? Not as much sympathy for the ban as some here, but the length of it is quite severe.

theticklemister

Roger Casements hurling in England also had a lock of boys banned there, including a Wexford senior hurler, Shore. They didn't wait the full quota of days after registration and some of them got 12 weeks while I think their secretary and chairman got 48 weeks

AZOffaly

Is this an old story? That semi final referred to is over and done with. Brosna beat Glenbeigh and now play Dromid Pearses in the Junior Final next Saturday.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 11, 2014, 09:07:25 AM
Is this an old story? That semi final referred to is over and done with. Brosna beat Glenbeigh and now play Dromid Pearses in the Junior Final next Saturday.

When was the semi final played? Darren O'Sullivan's idiotic childish tweets were sent last week.

Surely the wisest thing was to say nothing once they realised, sure how would the fact he played for another team in a 7s competition see the light of day?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

There was a replay. The replay was held this weekend I think. Brosna won by a point or two.

Rossfan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2014, 08:10:44 AM
It's a Croke Park recognised competition, same as Kilmacud, has been for years, any club entering knows the rules

+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

deiseach

It's a draconian punishment, but is there any suggestion the rule is being misapplied?

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
It's a draconian punishment, but is there any suggestion the rule is being misapplied?
the rules are never applied consistently.
I was reading Michael Duignan's autobiog. He played in the States and was never sanctioned.
Other individuals were.
It's all a big mess.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2014, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
the rules are never applied consistently.
I was reading Michael Duignan's autobiog. He played in the States and was never sanctioned.
Other individuals were.
It's all a big mess.

I'm sure it is, but that's not the same as the rule being misapplied.

heffo

Harsh punishment but I find it hard to believe that any normal person would think they could legally play for another club in any tournament.