Devastated GAA star gets 48-week ban for UK match

Started by Eamonnca1, November 11, 2014, 01:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: heffo on November 11, 2014, 12:09:59 PM
Harsh punishment but I find it hard to believe that any normal person would think they could legally play for another club in any tournament.

When a lad arrives in England and joins a club there how long before he is registered and allowed to play? Does this mean he must give up his membership of his own club at home?

If a player wants to play for his home club but join an English club to keep his hand in is that not allowed?

Hound

Quote from: PAULD123 on November 11, 2014, 12:24:38 PM
If a player wants to play for his home club but join an English club to keep his hand in is that not allowed?
That's the thing that's odd at first glance (at least to those like me who aren't 100% clear on the rules). He's allowed play soccer or rugby in England but not a game of 7-a-side gaelic.

I would have thought it would be hard to get caught, but obviously he has been in this case. 

Premier Emperor

Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2014, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
It's a draconian punishment, but is there any suggestion the rule is being misapplied?
the rules are never applied consistently.
I was reading Michael Duignan's autobiog. He played in the States and was never sanctioned.
Other individuals were.
It's all a big mess.
Justice for Tony Keady!  ;D

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on November 11, 2014, 12:55:46 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 11, 2014, 10:50:52 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
It's a draconian punishment, but is there any suggestion the rule is being misapplied?
the rules are never applied consistently.
I was reading Michael Duignan's autobiog. He played in the States and was never sanctioned.
Other individuals were.
It's all a big mess.
Justice for Tony Keady!  ;D
Tipp deserved to win an All Ireland with that team but not in 89  ;)
They didn't have the hurling experience. Same this year really.

Were you at the match ? Offaly losing to Antrim in the opener.

screenexile

Harsh punishment but I find it hard to believe that any normal person would think they could legally play for another club in any tournament.

When a lad arrives in England and joins a club there how long before he is registered and allowed to play? Does this mean he must give up his membership of his own club at home?

If you join a different club you have to sign a transfer... and then transfer back to your own club. Had he played Championship in England he would not have been allowed to play Championship back home.

The reason he was caught is because he told his club and they volunteered the information. . . Honesty not always the best policy I can't see he would have been caught if they'd said nuttin!!

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on November 11, 2014, 02:02:25 PM

If you join a different club you have to sign a transfer... and then transfer back to your own club. Had he played Championship in England he would not have been allowed to play Championship back home.

The reason he was caught is because he told his club and they volunteered the information. . . Honesty not always the best policy I can't see he would have been caught if they'd said nuttin!!

Exactly - unless someone from another club made an official objection then nothing would have happened to him. Very badly managed by his club but I still can't understand why he bothered to play, he obviously knew the implications given the fact that he raised it with his club in the first place.
That was never a square ball!!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hound on November 11, 2014, 12:40:19 PM
That's the thing that's odd at first glance (at least to those like me who aren't 100% clear on the rules). He's allowed play soccer or rugby in England but not a game of 7-a-side gaelic.

I would have thought it would be hard to get caught, but obviously he has been in this case.

The 7s competition was in Ireland and as has been said he wouldn't have been caught if he hadn't volunteered the information.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 11, 2014, 03:08:43 PM
). He's allowed play soccer or rugby in England but not a game of 7-a-side gaelic.

The 7s competition was in Ireland and as has been said he wouldn't have been caught if he hadn't volunteered the information.
What has the GAA got to do with a fella playing soccer or rubby in England????
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Rossfan on November 11, 2014, 03:10:36 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 11, 2014, 03:08:43 PM
). He's allowed play soccer or rugby in England but not a game of 7-a-side gaelic.

What has the GAA got to do with a fella playing soccer or rubby in England????

I know a fair few that wouldn't object to playing a bit of Rubby :-*

johnneycool

Andrew Shore caught up in the same stuff, wonder how Croke Park will deal with a higher profile player at it.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=227465