Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Red

Charlie Smyth signed by New Orleans Saints - Very well done 👏🏻

thebar

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 29, 2024, 04:24:30 PMCharlie Smyth signed by New Orleans Saints - Very well done 👏🏻
Well done Charlie Smyth that is some achievement good luck to ya.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Mourne Red on March 29, 2024, 04:24:30 PMCharlie Smyth signed by New Orleans Saints - Very well done 👏🏻
fair play to him, brilliant achievement.
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

Fantastic for the lad. Best of luck to him. It will be some experience.

marty34

Well done Charlie. Great achievement.

Best of luck.

Is America the new Australia?

snoopdog

Big game tonight. Looking forward to it. Wide open croke pk should suit Down. Need to get over the line in a final. I count I think 10 final losses since 1994. Ulster championships, all Ireland final, Tailteann, various leagues. Be a big boost to get the mentality right.  Also the added bonus of a step closer to Sam maguire competition.

KeyboardWman

Would be great to see a list of the full panel. New men in the warm up every week

Nanderson

Poor performance overall and not many players really played to their potential but great to see Barry O'Hagan back after a horrible injury last year where he questioned if he would ever play again in what was a diffuclt week personally for the community of Clonduff with the passing of Lorcan. Big focus now on the championship

snoopdog

Very poor performance. Dissapointing leaving croke pk. That all too familiar feel of defeat. Westmeath showed that they've been playing at a higher level. They're very well set up defensively, Down didn't get a clear goal scoring chance at all. Westmeath had a few. Was Ryan Johnson injured? Massive loss tonight. Rory Mason should've been on much sooner, if not starting. He never let's the team Down. McGovern given a start was very poor.

downtothecore

Dissapointing outcome tonight. Is that 12 or 13 finals we have lost at senior level

We could do with more physicality in that squad if we are to compete at higher level. It was a big issue last year in tailteann final, against Armagh in ulster semi final and to some extent tonight. I know its easier said than done to address but that it will stall progress of this team.

Johnnysboys

The only good thing from tonight is that we will be in the B competition again - something we might have a chance of winning. Otherwise another nothing year.
Those who are pouring the money in to pay the management should think about their investment. £250k paid in two years would have a pitch ready in Ballykinlar.

SHEEDY

Disappointing night, very poor performance especially in the second half. We looked miles away from being a top tier team, slow build up play mixed with poor defending.  Westmeath weren't great either and didn't even have to play great to win.

McGovern starting was a strange one after his performance last week but he wasn't the only one to have a poor night.
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

Quote from: Johnnysboys on March 30, 2024, 11:32:15 PMThe only good thing from tonight is that we will be in the B competition again - something we might have a chance of winning. Otherwise another nothing year.
Those who are pouring the money in to pay the management should think about their investment. £250k paid in two years would have a pitch ready in Ballykinlar.
Tailteann is our level but we won't be winning it. Getting out of div 3 was the 1st goal. Very poor last night, I think really only  Kerr and Doherty played their normal solid performance. The rest were well below their norm, I count 11 final losses since 94. I'm not counting McKenna cup. Miles off the Armaghs of this world. I keep hearing them being compared to Derry. Nothing close to a Derry. We have no Glass, McGuigan etc.

urbangael

Worst performance of the Yr on the biggest stage. However promotion was the objective and that's ticked off. Total focus to championship now. Our defence still a major concern. Keeper very questionable for both goals last night. Not sure our capt offers enough either. We are short 3 or 4 players including a reliable free taker and a marquee forward. Reality is Down aren't good enough to compete for Sam. They are 16th in Ireland.

Nanderson

Quote from: urbangael on March 31, 2024, 09:21:32 AMWorst performance of the Yr on the biggest stage. However promotion was the objective and that's ticked off. Total focus to championship now. Our defence still a major concern. Keeper very questionable for both goals last night. Not sure our capt offers enough either. We are short 3 or 4 players including a reliable free taker and a marquee forward. Reality is Down aren't good enough to compete for Sam. They are 16th in Ireland.
O'Hagan was that marquee forward until his injury. Kerr certainly has the potential to be sensational for Down but maybe needs to limit trying to do everything on his own