The situation at Calais

Started by theticklemister, August 06, 2015, 10:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

I am surprised no one has started a thread on this.

The silence has been deafening in the media about the present situation involving the people here. I feel very sorry for the people who have been forced to flee their homes for a better place. The international law have failed these people and so they have disowned them. These people are living people with kids and families; they are not pieces of meet that the governments and media tell you.

I was in Denmark and Germany there for two weeks and I came back through the Euro tunnel in the passenger section. The train started on time but after about 1 minute it stopped. The train steward came to each van/car and these were the words he used................... " Sorry about this, but we have to reverse back as one of them jumped on the train in front; what they need is 25,000 volts." I felt totally took aback about this.

macdanger2

100% agree TM, there's lots of talk about "dealing with the migrant crisis" which means stopping "them" getting in rather than helping these people in some shape or form.

And those at Calais are probably still better off than the thousands that have come or are in the proces of coming from Syria / Eritrea to Lybia to pay criminals to shunt them onto boats like cattle and push them out into the open water.

The problem is too big for one country to resolve but surely the UN should be doing more / something about this humanitarian crisis??

deiseach

This is why it's folly to start a thread on the subject:

Incoming!

theticklemister

Cameron continues to go on about "Criminal gangs" organising the transport of people and puts the blame on them; however he is shifting the blame away from the international solidarity and help which should be given.

theticklemister

Quote from: deiseach on August 06, 2015, 10:47:06 AM

Incoming!

but what do people think on this board that can be done to help?

maddog

Quote from: theticklemister on August 06, 2015, 10:48:13 AM
Cameron continues to go on about "Criminal gangs" organising the transport of people and puts the blame on them; however he is shifting the blame away from the international solidarity and help which should be given.

The criminal gangs that operate in the vacuum he helped create.
I can see lots of sides to this however isn't one of the principles of seekling asylum that you seek it in the first safe country that you come to ? So when the media shows Eritreans Sudanese Afghans Iranians etc at Calais the question on many peoples lips is why didn't you seek asylum earlier ? I think some people on the ground in Britain confuse their disapproval at what came decades before (economic migration of Indians Pakistanis and the ghettoising of swathes of areas in larger cities etc) with the present crisis. If you like they are diverting their ire on what is happening in Calais via the daily mail type headlines, these people will eat your children give you aids and lower your house prices while receiving benefits. One thing for sure the Arab spring has fairly backfired in terms of controlling the borders.

Walter Cronc

I think you have to get to the source TM. Somehow if at all possible try and improve the lives of people so they wont want to leave. That part of the world is a mess though so god knows where you begin.

Great to see the Irish navy helping out. No doubt the British war fleet has loads of ships lying dormant when they are most needed.

One thing I don't understand is why the migrant boats are being intercepted when they are so far out into the Med. Could the Irish Navy etc not position themselves closer to the Libyan coast or would there be disputes there??

Hardy

Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 06, 2015, 11:11:35 AM
I think you have to get to the source TM. Somehow if at all possible try and improve the lives of people so they wont want to leave. That part of the world is a mess though so god knows where you begin.

Great to see the Irish navy helping out. No doubt the British war fleet has loads of ships lying dormant when they are most needed.

One thing I don't understand is why the migrant boats are being intercepted when they are so far out into the Med. Could the Irish Navy etc not position themselves closer to the Libyan coast or would there be disputes there??

Be fair. The fifth largest military power on earth is doing its bit.

Where Eagles Dare.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on August 06, 2015, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on August 06, 2015, 11:11:35 AM

Be fair. The fifth largest military power on earth is doing its bit.

Where Eagles Dare.
Would you stop the car to give a lift to some chap you knew was going to give you Aids/was going to rob your house/steal your job/behead you/blow up your local town/steal your daughter away... :P

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on August 06, 2015, 10:34:32 AM
I am surprised no one has started a thread on this.

The silence has been deafening in the media about the present situation involving the people here. I feel very sorry for the people who have been forced to flee their homes for a better place. The international law have failed these people and so they have disowned them. These people are living people with kids and families; they are not pieces of meet that the governments and media tell you.

I was in Denmark and Germany there for two weeks and I came back through the Euro tunnel in the passenger section. The train started on time but after about 1 minute it stopped. The train steward came to each van/car and these were the words he used................... " Sorry about this, but we have to reverse back as one of them jumped on the train in front; what they need is 25,000 volts." I felt totally took aback about this.

What is your solution to this? Only reason the refugees never came to N.Ireland was because of the troubles, now that that is gone we have a large (considering the size of the place) amount of foreign nationals ... who for most parts are working harder than the local feckers on the dole.... I'd be up for sending the dole merchants and scroungers to those places and bring over the ones that want a job, we'd have a stronger economy that's for sure  :o

As for Calais the only way to sort it is housing handouts and everything else and it will cost you and the rest of the tax payers more money to look after
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: deiseach on August 06, 2015, 10:47:06 AM

Incoming!

Scumbags.

Those leaving the comments, that is.