Record numbers of free staters flock to join British Army

Started by Trout, March 29, 2011, 07:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 05:49:50 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2011, 05:33:35 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on April 12, 2011, 05:25:34 PM

but that is my point whether we use a capital letter or not, the statelet is named incorrectly, it doesn't include all of northern ireland

Lads don't tell him about New York or he'll crack up altogether.
Never mind New York, just don't mention the state(let) which calls itself "Ireland"... :D

P.S. Is it just me, or have Republicans recently stopped referring to NI as the "failed statelet"?  And if so, how long before we're all referring to the Republic as the "Failed State"? (Or, seeing as we're on the topic of terminological exactitude, "Der Versagte Staat"? ;) )

That should be 'Das Bailed State'.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

but that is my point whether we use a capital letter or not, the statelet is named incorrectly, it doesn't include all of northern ireland

Never mind New York, just don't mention the state(let) which calls itself "Ireland"... :D

P.S. Is it just me, or have Republicans recently stopped referring to NI as the "failed statelet"?  And if so, how long before we're all referring to the Republic as the "Failed State"? (Or, seeing as we're on the topic of terminological exactitude, "Der Versagte Staat"? ;) )

Don't give up th'oul day job  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Does the title of this thread refer to Irish people in the 6 counties? Answer is no. That's why no one was talking about them.

Puckoon

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2011, 07:08:28 PM
You did say - any Irishman.

I can happily confirm I was talking about any Irishman in the 26 counties as per the thread title.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The Republic will do just fine EG, sure the U.K. went to the IMF begging bowl in the 1970's  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on April 12, 2011, 08:55:55 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 01:40:25 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 29, 2011, 10:39:46 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2011, 10:35:34 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2011, 10:21:40 PM
4000 is a "record" number. I wonder when the record keeping began.  ???

My nephew was one of the officer cadets who made it to the three day assessment. He was saying most of the boys in the barracks were intending to join up with the Brits if they weren't successful. IMO they should be stripped of their citizenship.

I don't really understand why someone would want to join the british army, but that's just ridiculous.
This isn't a dictatorship, free will exists.

In a dictatorship they'd be shot. I agree 100% with Ulick on this one. Why the hell should any Irishman be permitted to join an army that has shot and murdered Irish citizens for 100's of years right up to the present. They have the free will to do so if they so wish, Ireland should have the free will to tell them to leave their passports at the ferry when they leave.
"Any Irishman"?

You seem to forget that there are one million Irishmen and women on the island for whom joining the British Armed Forces is entirely natural, like these two, for example:
http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=124709
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/rir-soldier-becomes-afghan-hero-after-saving-eightyearold-girl-15065346.html

P.S. On the subject of correct nomenclature which has hijacked this thread, I always find it amusing that those posters who are most insistent on the use of the correct [sic] term "Ireland" etc, are invariably the same ones who are completely incapable of typing "Northern Ireland"! Indeed they will resorting to "the Six Counties" or "the North" etc, even ]when a simple "NI" is quicker, more accurate and pretty much unmistakeable...  :D

I think you'll find 'Northern Ireland' is not more accurate, Donegal is the most northern part of the main landmass of the island and yet it is in the 'south' / '26 counties', therefore 'Northern' is entirely incorrect
Further to MnG's reply above, Donegal is not in Northern Ireland (NI), it is in northern Ireland.

Though these days, it probably wishes it was in both... :D
At least the South has only had one bailout your "wee country" would have long since sank if it wasn't for the British (as opposed to Uk) tax payer.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 12, 2011, 08:46:31 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on April 12, 2011, 07:08:28 PM
You did say - any Irishman.

I can happily confirm I was talking about any Irishman in the 26 counties as per the thread title.
Blueshirt!! :)

Banana Man

more shite talk from you, talk about trying to have childish digs because you can't string a coherent and balanced sentence together

muppet

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 10:21:16 AM

more shite talk from you, talk about trying to have childish digs because you can't string a coherent and balanced sentence together

It was a joke Banana Man. You take yourself too seriously. The whinging about being insulted all the time while writing something like 'you can't string a coherent and balanced sentence together' is looking very hypocritical at this stage.

MWWSI 2017

Banana Man

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2011, 10:37:58 AM

It was a joke Banana Man. You take yourself too seriously. The whinging about being insulted all the time while writing something like 'you can't string a coherent and balanced sentence together' is looking very hypocritical at this stage.

not too seriously, I just like to debate points like an adult with a reason for a reason against and see can we find common ground

not hypocritical, i'll think you will find the above based on your behaviour over the last 24 hours would be very balanced and it was coherent in articulating my point.

I'm still waiting on you answering my point on the garda budget....

muppet

Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 11:34:32 AM

not too seriously, I just like to debate points like an adult with a reason for a reason against and see can we find common ground

not hypocritical, i'll think you will find the above based on your behaviour over the last 24 hours would be very balanced and it was coherent in articulating my point.

these sentences start without capital letters, this one has no full stop at the end

not that I'd start a sentence with the word not

But then I can't string a coherent sentence together in articulating my point, can I?

MWWSI 2017

Banana Man

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2011, 12:17:53 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on April 13, 2011, 11:34:32 AM

these sentences start without capital letters, this one has no full stop at the end

not that I'd start a sentence with the word not

But then I can't string a coherent sentence together in articulating my point, can I?

you can't differentiate between grammar and coherent - you still haven't adressed my point

i'm waiting...

muppet

If you think we should tell Obama not to come because of a Garda overtime bill that Hardy tore asunder, then you can wait.
MWWSI 2017

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 13, 2011, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: Banana Man on April 12, 2011, 08:55:55 AM
Quote from: Evil Genius on April 12, 2011, 01:40:25 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 29, 2011, 10:39:46 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 29, 2011, 10:35:34 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 29, 2011, 10:21:40 PM
4000 is a "record" number. I wonder when the record keeping began.  ???

My nephew was one of the officer cadets who made it to the three day assessment. He was saying most of the boys in the barracks were intending to join up with the Brits if they weren't successful. IMO they should be stripped of their citizenship.

I don't really understand why someone would want to join the british army, but that's just ridiculous.
This isn't a dictatorship, free will exists.

In a dictatorship they'd be shot. I agree 100% with Ulick on this one. Why the hell should any Irishman be permitted to join an army that has shot and murdered Irish citizens for 100's of years right up to the present. They have the free will to do so if they so wish, Ireland should have the free will to tell them to leave their passports at the ferry when they leave.
"Any Irishman"?

You seem to forget that there are one million Irishmen and women on the island for whom joining the British Armed Forces is entirely natural, like these two, for example:
http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=124709
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/rir-soldier-becomes-afghan-hero-after-saving-eightyearold-girl-15065346.html

P.S. On the subject of correct nomenclature which has hijacked this thread, I always find it amusing that those posters who are most insistent on the use of the correct [sic] term "Ireland" etc, are invariably the same ones who are completely incapable of typing "Northern Ireland"! Indeed they will resorting to "the Six Counties" or "the North" etc, even ]when a simple "NI" is quicker, more accurate and pretty much unmistakeable...  :D
I think you'll find 'Northern Ireland' is not more accurate, Donegal is the most northern part of the main landmass of the island and yet it is in the 'south' / '26 counties', therefore 'Northern' is entirely incorrect
Further to MnG's reply above, Donegal is not in Northern Ireland (NI), it is in northern Ireland.

Though these days, it probably wishes it was in both... :D
At least the South has only had one bailout your "wee country" would have long since sank if it wasn't for the British (as opposed to Uk) tax payer.
Actually, I thinkl you'll find that from 1920 to 1980 (approx), NI was inherently much more wealthy/self-sustaining than the Republic was, by just about any marker you care to choose.

This changed essentially due to four factors:
1. The de-industrialisation which hit the UK (and other Western economies) from the 80's on (shipbuilding, engineering, aircraft etc);
2. The onset of 30 years of civil strife in NI;
3. The EEC pouring (net) billions into the ROI, whilst simultaneously taking it from the UK;
4. More progressive economic policies eventually being introduced in the Republic.

Meanwhile, if NI is one of several UK regions which is currently heavily dependant upon central Whitehall subsidy in order to pay the bills etc, that's how things work in a Union, you take the Rough with the Smooth.

Indeed, this point was never more pertinent than this week, what with it being the anniversary of the Belfast Blitz*, when NI had to bear its share of the Nazi assault, whilst simultaneously the Free state was essentially being spared starvation and complete economic collapse, due to the efforts of the British Navies**, both Royal and Merchant.

* - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast_Blitz
** - Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cruel_Sea_(novel)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"