2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Terrace

Decent performance, second half a lot better direct running instead ofor backwards & sideways stuff. I thought all players put a solid shift. Workrate of all players was good. Stand outs for me crowley, o'reilly, Kingston & Walsh. Only negative was sending off but you'll get that.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

I enjoyed the win and i think we will get better ..

Dicey was superb and walsh looked in great shape

Next week will be a far tougher task

But very positive signs of the
LAOIS ABÚ

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Unlaoised on January 30, 2018, 01:11:01 AM

No it won't Limerick would be classified as second or third best team in Div 4,  it was just a sign of how dire Div 4 is. 

redsetanta

I'd agree with that. Antrim gave Leitrim a bit of a trimming. As bad as we might think we are if we play any way close to our potential we should  be looking at top 2 minimum. Div 4 is poor and Carlow and Antrim will probably give us the toughest tests and we have Antrim in Portlaoise.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

les Antiques

Agree . Leitrim are all over the place at the moment with numerous first choice players deciding not to play under the management they have . Along with Waterford I'd expect us to dispose of those two comfortably . Carlow will be by far the toughest especially physically and they seem to have all there club players pulling in the one direction with the county now . Antrim likewise will a serious test .
Both them and Carlow are at our level . I really don't know what to expect in London . They have all home ties so they should get some momentum going in Ruislip .
I'd expect changes this weekend , through injuries and perhaps a positional ones .

OTF

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 30, 2018, 08:20:02 AM

Don't know what Leitrim  are like but Limerick supporters think their worst for years.

No it won't Limerick would be classified as second or third best team in Div 4,  it was just a sign of how dire Div 4 is.

Unlaoised

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 30, 2018, 08:20:02 AM

Limerick were poor and their shocking misses in front of goal only rubber stamped that but we left them in the game as we have done with so many teams in recent years Wicklow antrim etc etc....

At least we got the win and I think Leitrim will be a tougher task at the weekend despite missing a few players....

Carrick on shannon on a windy and wet day will not be easy.

We went up there in 2012 under Justin mcnulty with a star studded team that was going places and only won by 2 points I think??
LAOIS ABÚ

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

we were in one way flattered by the 9 points win last Saturday, and if the Limerick  forward had goaled instead of hitting the post in the 60th minute then the game would most certainly have gone down to the wire.

the positives is that we do look fitter, we at least seemed to have some fuel left in the last 5 minutes, as compared to last year when we were often on fumes in the last 15 minutes.

I sense fans at least see an element of reality with sugrue. he knows the laois scene and realises that we do have to rebuild and what we may find is that division 4, albeit, bottom of the barrel stuff, is less punishing for rebuilding projects. I read on the main forum of this board, that Sligo, a bit like ourselves are on a rebuild, and look how they suffered in div 3 last sunday at the hands of Armagh.

I read elsewhere on this thread that a good season would consist of gaining promotion to div 3 and getting to a leinster semi final against Kildare. The former is achievable, the latter target is, as of now, a big ask. I think Westmeath are a long way ahead of us, possible at the peak of their current squad and spearheaded by a marquee forward. They along with Wexford are div 3 sides, and it would be quite some achievement to beat both to get to a leinster semi final, not impossible, a tough ask.

as for this sunday, I was in Carrick the last two times Laois played there, that qualifier victory over Leitrim and the qualifier defeat to Donegal the next year. From memory, it is a tight pitch with a pronounced scoring goal(road end).  Leitrim have a limited squad, however they do bring a local pride and passion to proceedings especially when playing in Carrick. I see they beat Sligo a fortnight ago in that Connaught league. So they deserve respect. In fact, if a transitional squad, such as ours, takes any of these div 4 sides for granted, then we may pay a price.

Again, I would be happy to win 12 points to 10 and travel back east with the 2 points in the bag.

les Antiques

I can't see anything but a convincing win Sunday even with us in this major transitional period . Leitrim are a long way from the team that we played against in the qualifiers under McNulty .

From the Terrace

I presume same starting 15, maybe donoher will get in ahead of dowling.. I'd like to see same 15 start.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 30, 2018, 12:57:47 PM
we were in one way flattered by the 9 points win last Saturday, and if the Limerick  forward had goaled instead of hitting the post in the 60th minute then the game would most certainly have gone down to the wire.

the positives is that we do look fitter, we at least seemed to have some fuel left in the last 5 minutes, as compared to last year when we were often on fumes in the last 15 minutes.

I sense fans at least see an element of reality with sugrue. he knows the laois scene and realises that we do have to rebuild and what we may find is that division 4, albeit, bottom of the barrel stuff, is less punishing for rebuilding projects. I read on the main forum of this board, that Sligo, a bit like ourselves are on a rebuild, and look how they suffered in div 3 last sunday at the hands of Armagh.

I read elsewhere on this thread that a good season would consist of gaining promotion to div 3 and getting to a leinster semi final against Kildare. The former is achievable, the latter target is, as of now, a big ask. I think Westmeath are a long way ahead of us, possible at the peak of their current squad and spearheaded by a marquee forward. They along with Wexford are div 3 sides, and it would be quite some achievement to beat both to get to a leinster semi final, not impossible, a tough ask.

as for this sunday, I was in Carrick the last two times Laois played there, that qualifier victory over Leitrim and the qualifier defeat to Donegal the next year. From memory, it is a tight pitch with a pronounced scoring goal(road end).  Leitrim have a limited squad, however they do bring a local pride and passion to proceedings especially when playing in Carrick. I see they beat Sligo a fortnight ago in that Connaught league. So they deserve respect. In fact, if a transitional squad, such as ours, takes any of these div 4 sides for granted, then we may pay a price.

Again, I would be happy to win 12 points to 10 and travel back east with the 2 points in the bag.
No we beat them by ten points, as did Antrim last week. Carrick isn't the easiest place for visiting teams over the years and is a tight pitch alright but they have slipped a lot from the team ye'd have beaten there in 2012, so I don't imagine ye will have too much trouble on Sunday.

From the Terrace

Any news on attride injury? Begley probably start for him.

Unlaoised

Quote from: From the Terrace on February 01, 2018, 12:59:14 PM
Any news on attride injury? Begley probably start for him.

Bad enough hammer strain I'm hearing a few weeks at least
LAOIS ABÚ

From the Terrace

we should have enough cover to get through a few of games without him. I have a feeling we will see more support for this years team more clubs represented and looks like a good young manager. Have to say Sugrue speaks very well. A successful year is promotion and a championship win for me anyway.