East wall #Irelandisfull

Started by Truth hurts, January 04, 2023, 11:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

It's of course fair that the pros and cons should be discussed.

But what is supposed to be done with refugees?

Whether it's Syrians or Ukrainians or victims if wherever the next conflict is, do we just turn our back and "say not our problem, we have enough to deal with ourselves"?

I'm sure most countries are in the same boat.

How do you prepare for a sudden onslaught of displaced refugees?

Have a bunch of facilities waiting around and bring maintained for that purpose?

Because then you'll hear all about the waste and how they could be better used for our own people.

Look-Up!

Quote from: J70 on February 03, 2023, 03:34:01 PM

Whether it's Syrians or Ukrainians or victims if wherever the next conflict is, do we just turn our back and "say not our problem, we have enough to deal with ourselves"?

Have a bunch of facilities waiting around and bring maintained for that purpose?

Because then you'll hear all about the waste and how they could be better used for our own people.
I have no idea J70. But I'd have extreme reservations about dumping them into a particular area that have not the resources or support to cater for them. That has been tried over and over throughout history with the end product being ghettos.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 03, 2023, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 01:37:23 PM
People losing the run of themselves.. There was a old thread either here or on the older forum about Irish people not being racist's, from memory it was a decent thread.. Now its polorised ta feck!!

Putting colours to crime is wrong, crime is carried out by PEOPLE that are more disadvantaged than others, poor, no education, troubled families and so on, colour has nothing to do with it
Clash of cultures can be a big problem though. Some countries have a very backward view on a lot of things we take for granted. Men rule, women are second class citizens, should dress appropriately, should not be unchaperoned etc Views that are incompatible with western values. Throwing in civil war, genocide, extreme poverty, lack of education, non existence of medical (both physical and mental histories), there are clearly people, regardless if they are to blame or not, should not be let loose en masse into a new society without vetting and various supports. But as it is our resources are already over stretched with a chronic void in mental health care, social housing not to mention others. So I think people are entitled to be worried and to take any government reassurances, given their track record in competence, with a pinch of salt. 

Unfortunately it's a very contentious issue that needs frank an adult discussion and taking all available data and facts onboard. Something we are clearly a very long ways off doing.

This was the Irish down to a tee when heading over to America back in the day
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 04:11:54 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 03, 2023, 03:24:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 01:37:23 PM
People losing the run of themselves.. There was a old thread either here or on the older forum about Irish people not being racist's, from memory it was a decent thread.. Now its polorised ta feck!!

Putting colours to crime is wrong, crime is carried out by PEOPLE that are more disadvantaged than others, poor, no education, troubled families and so on, colour has nothing to do with it
Clash of cultures can be a big problem though. Some countries have a very backward view on a lot of things we take for granted. Men rule, women are second class citizens, should dress appropriately, should not be unchaperoned etc Views that are incompatible with western values. Throwing in civil war, genocide, extreme poverty, lack of education, non existence of medical (both physical and mental histories), there are clearly people, regardless if they are to blame or not, should not be let loose en masse into a new society without vetting and various supports. But as it is our resources are already over stretched with a chronic void in mental health care, social housing not to mention others. So I think people are entitled to be worried and to take any government reassurances, given their track record in competence, with a pinch of salt. 

Unfortunately it's a very contentious issue that needs frank an adult discussion and taking all available data and facts onboard. Something we are clearly a very long ways off doing.

This was the Irish down to a tee when heading over to America back in the day
Oh yeah, would that be the Jim Crow America. A very enlightened place.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 02:18:03 PM
I'm just back from Ireland and an elderly relative has a home health care aid that's a lovely black fella

If he's there and working he's obviously identifiable and vetted.

Anyone who has a problem with identifiable and vetted migrants is a racist

Anyone who has a problem with unidentifiable and unvetted migrants is not a racist

Confused with the first line, he's just a lovely fella, I don't need to know his colour at all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitey

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 04:14:13 PM
I'm just back from Ireland and an elderly relative has a home health care aid that's a lovely black fella

Anyone who has a problem with unidentifiable and unvetted migrants is not a racist

Confused with the first line, he's just a lovely fella, I don't need to know his colour at all

Unconfuse yourself then. (that's how the almost 90 year old Irish person described their carer to me, so it's entirely relevant to the discussion  at hand and allegations of racism that are being bandied about)

J70

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 03, 2023, 03:59:13 PM

I have no idea J70. But I'd have extreme reservations about dumping them into a particular area that have not the resources or support to cater for them. That has been tried over and over throughout history with the end product being ghettos.

But that's my point.

Is ANYWHERE ever prepared for a sudden influx of refugees?

Should governments now be planning for this, building facilities which can be mobilized in the event?

Will people accept their governments spending money for this type of eventuality?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 03, 2023, 04:35:58 PM

But that's my point.

Should governments now be planning for this, building facilities which can be mobilized in the event?

Will people accept their governments spending money for this type of eventuality?

J70

The concentration of these centers in rural Ireland and working class areas is a big bone of contention

If diversity (in this form) is such a plus to society, how come the good folks of Foxrock and Dalkey aren't clamoring to house some of these folks in their neighborhoods

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 04:38:27 PM

But that's my point.

J70

The concentration of these centers in rural Ireland and working class areas is a big bone of contention

If diversity (in this form) is such a plus to society, how come the good folks of Foxrock and Dalkey aren't clamoring to house some of these folks in their neighborhoods

That's fair enough.

And certainly fair game for discussion.

My point was more about the general issue of trying to cope with large quantities of displaced people.

Most countries are "full" as such when it comes to accommodating refugees. But they have to go somewhere to be looked after.

Look-Up!

But that's my point.

If there were better facilities and resources, if you could increase the number of teachers, doctors, GPs, Gardai etc at drop of a hat to accommodate any influx, of course peoples' backs wouldn't get up so quick. But that's so big an if it's a pipe dream. A similar if, if politicians of war mongering countries were held to account, if weapons manufacturers and exporters were left with the clean up costs of the carnage their practices create, the world would be a different place. But it is what it is and people are not stupid.

Whitey makes a valid point, if government just dumped these people into the neighbourhoods of our betters instead of into these ill-bred racist communities, would it not be better? Or would the well to do be less sneery.   

Rossfan

There aren't as many empty or derelict buildings in well to do City/Suburban areas.
Mind you the main Churchrs must have a good few buildings not used any more. Could they not do as asked by their "founder" and make them available?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

I think the UN or the like could have a stockpile of prefab houses or similar which could be moved where ever in the world the need was greatest.
Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 04:38:27 PM

The government policy is to put people where they can, that would include Foxrock or Dalkey if there were vacant buildings there that they could get a hold of. I live in South Co. Dublin and had a refugee centre 500m from my house for many years, but that site was then redeveloped and is not available now. And of course it is the people of Foxrock and Dalkey who are paying for it.

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 03, 2023, 04:58:00 PM
If there were better facilities and resources, if you could increase the number of teachers, doctors, GPs, Gardai etc at drop of a hat to accommodate any influx, of course peoples' backs wouldn't get up so quick.

There are people with skills, especially among the Ukrainians, as the population of entire towns have been made refugees. Recognition of qualification stuff means that these cannot practice their profession and perhaps something can be done about that or you can hote a Ukrainian as a teaching assistant etc.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Either spread refugees around more fairly or invest serious money in receiving areas. Working class communities have been shafted for a few decades as house prices soared beyond their reach.
Average income is 44k or so. Average working class incomes are lower. Now there's inflation. The trigger could have been anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFg8r_ZOd1Q
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thebigfella

Quote from: whitey on February 03, 2023, 04:21:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 03, 2023, 04:14:13 PM

Unconfuse yourself then. (that's how the almost 90 year old Irish person described their carer to me, so it's entirely relevant to the discussion  at hand and allegations of racism that are being bandied about)

I'm with MR2 on this, his colour is irrelevant or how someone  described that person to you.

He's an immigrant who legally entered the county and is entitled to work, and by all means a throughly nice guy.

We do have Irish black people as well you know  ;D