Question for Kildare folks

Started by whitey, November 30, 2013, 02:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

hoping someone can offer some suggestions.

A friend of mine  (in Boston) has a 20 year old son who will be working in Naas next Summer.  This young fella is looking for a gym to join while he is there.  He is a an American Football player at a prestigous Ivy League College so he would be "accustomed to/require" a pretty good set up-ie not just cardio machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

rrhf

There's a spare apartment in Straffan we use for these guys

Donnellys Hollow

Naas Health and Fitness out in Monread is probably the best gym in the Naas area.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Those Harvard guys aren't welcome here!

Dont Matter

First warn him of the drastic decrease in living standards and quality of neighbour. Then maybe suggest he lives in a more desirable place. Finally tell him they'll be able to get him in good shape with the gym work but he'll probably pick up the habit of kicking the ball wide when the pressure comes on.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

orangeman

He'll have to play a bit of hurling first before he's eligible to join anybody in Kildare. That's just the way of it.

Hardy

If he was a horse he'd be spoiled for choice.

T Fearon

Twice daily jog round the big racecourse should do the trick.

Syferus

To be fair there's nothing pretigious about Ivy League college football teams.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 30, 2013, 02:17:14 PM

Harsh.

BallyhaiseMan

According to the NCAA's own statistics, 5.7% or 1 in 17 high school football players will play College football at Division 1A, 1AA, 2 or 3. That is pretty "prestigious" by anyone's definition.
I thought the self proclaimed "knowledgeable college football fan" of the board would know that or was that claim bullsh*t like  all the rest of your posts?

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: whitey on November 30, 2013, 02:49:27 AM
hoping someone can offer some suggestions.

A friend of mine  (in Boston) has a 20 year old son who will be working in Naas next Summer.  This young fella is looking for a gym to join while he is there.  He is a an American Football player at a prestigous Ivy League College so he would be "accustomed to/require" a pretty good set up-ie not just cardio machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Naas Health & Fitness in Monread probably the best but v good setup in the Osprey and Kilashee also

Syferus

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 30, 2013, 02:25:34 PM

According to the NCAA's own statistics, 5.7% or 1 in 17 high school football players will play College football at Division 1A, 1AA, 2 or 3. That is pretty "prestigious" by anyone's definition.
I thought the self proclaimed "knowledgeable college football fan" of the board would know that or was that claim bullsh*t like  all the rest of your posts?

Pretty much all Ivy League universities don't offer athletic scholarships so the best players never appear in their ranks. It's all walk-on - you make it academically and you can try out for the ball team. It has frig all to do with what percentage does or doesn't play college ball overall. College football and entry requirements for given colleges are so fragmented the figures you quote mean very little without context.

This guy is clearly a smart cookie if he's attending an Ivy League school but I was just glibly correcting the perception that Ivy League college football teams themselves are prestigious in the overall sense, they're some of the lowliest teams in football in terms of major universities and plenty of smaller colleges would beat them up for fun.

Doesn't mean the lad shouldn't want to stay fit, and indeed this post is more about putting you back in your venomous little box than about him. Don't spout facts without knowledge.

I wish the lad well and, who knows, he could be the next Jeremy Lin.

Jinxy

How many pull-ups can he do?
If he wants to make the Kildare panel he'll have to get serious about his training.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

Thanks for the info-I will pass it along

The reason I mentioned where he went to College, is that Ivy Leagues have deep pockets, hence unvelievable facilities-check this out:

http://news.brown.edu/pressreleases/2012/05/fitness

I dont know if he would be D1 standard, but he could definitely have played higher level football (than Ivy Leagus) at a less prestigous school.  So few players make the pros, he made the trade off to play at Brown, get an Ivy League education and rolodex that comes along with it

For what its worth, his dad went to the same school, and to my knowledge is the only Irish born footballer to play in the NFL.