Prettiest/Most spectacular venue for playing a game?

Started by Denn Forever, August 12, 2009, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2009, 12:23:29 PM
Quote from: brougherboy on August 14, 2009, 10:27:26 AM
kilcars is fantastic looks hard to beat! played in kilcoo once up in mournes gud view also!

would pomeroy`s (tyrone)  pitch be at the highest altitude in Ireland??

Would greencastle and Clan na Gaels grounds not be at a higher altitude in Tyrone alone, never mind the rest of Ireland?

Gold

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13380.0

thats a link to same discussion on hurling thread--has a pic of Cushendun and one of Innis Oírr with the Castle beind it--awesome setting
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

irunthev

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 14, 2009, 12:23:29 PM
kilcars is fantastic looks hard to beat! played in kilcoo once up in mournes gud view also!

Would greencastle and Clan na Gaels grounds not be at ahogher altitude in Tyrone alone, never mind rest of Ireland?

I believe An Tochra (Roundwood) in Wicklow is the highest pitch in Ireland or so they told me when I played there.

whitey

Glenisland, outside Castlebar-3rd field from the bottom is a pitch-probably a community pitch rather than an Islandeady pitch. (I was taking a picture of the muntain not the pitch in case you were wondering)

whitey

Quote from: ludermor on August 13, 2009, 09:46:24 AM

The Achill pitch is on some setting

Wasnt here a second pitch in Achill called the Sandybanks? Great place for a kelly cup game in March-NOT

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: whitey on August 15, 2009, 01:06:28 AM
Glenisland, outside Castlebar-3rd field from the bottom is a pitch-probably a community pitch rather than an Islandeady pitch. (I was taking a picture of the muntain not the pitch in case you were wondering)

Are those the hills behind Castlebar or are you looking towards Newport or up towards the Northwest. Castlebar 2 minutes from spectacular scenery but those bloody hills block it all (I suppose they are part of it) At least we can see both Neiphin & Croagh Patrick at the same time, not sure Westport or Ballina can match that.

What about the pitch out on Clare Island. I like the one in Louisburg (my grannys place origin). The pitch in Mllltown-Mallbay in West Clare is in a really nice spot too.

stephenite

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 16, 2009, 09:20:54 AM
At least we can see both Neiphin & Croagh Patrick at the same time, not sure Westport or Ballina can match that.

Ballina can see Croagh Patrick on a very clear day - not that you get too many of them anywhere in the county.

Still, about all Castlebar has going for it ;)

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2009, 09:52:38 AM
At least we can see both Neiphin & Croagh Patrick at the same time, not sure Westport or Ballina can match that.

Ballina can see Croagh Patrick on a very clear day - not that you get too many of them anywhere in the county.

Still number 1  8)

stephenite

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 16, 2009, 10:06:47 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2009, 09:52:38 AM

Still number 1  8)

In what?

Son_of_Sam

County town, by far the biggest town in the County. Best roads, shops, hospitals and the second biggest theatre in Ireland. Home of McHale Park & the next Taoiseach.

And I don't mean this guy http://gripofhysteria.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/mugabe.jpg

stephenite

Arrah yeah - bigger just means more knackers and racists. You're welcome to that dubious honour

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2009, 10:18:26 AM
Arrah yeah - bigger just means more knackers and racists. You're welcome to that dubious honour

Coming from Ballina, now you are having a laugh. Bigger just means more people want to live here, we even have a "Little Westport"

stephenite

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 16, 2009, 10:20:49 AM

Coming from Ballina, now you are having a laugh. Bigger just means more people want to live here, we even have a "Little Westport"

What's little Westport? Surely they didn't create a minature Westport when the real thing is only down the road?

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: stephenite on August 16, 2009, 10:28:14 AM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 16, 2009, 10:20:49 AM

What's little Westport? Surely they didn't create a minature Westport when the real thing is only down the road?

All those estates out the Westport road in Castlebar road full of Westport people, they all young Covies who could not afford the ridiculous house prices in Coveyland, Castlebar was marginaly more affordable. Have you noticed that Westport Quays name was changed during the boom to Westport Harbour and appears on a lot of maps as a seperated town to Westport, even Westport wasn't posh enough for them  :D

stephenite

Ah, I see.

For a while there I thought there was a minature Westport created for all the junkies ye have lying on the streets who were too wasted to make the trip themselves