Cavanagh's shimmy and the like

Started by ONeill, January 17, 2017, 10:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Sean's shimmy will soon be lost to us. Are there other players out there who had/have a signiture 'trick'....not a Mulligan dummy but a move they would execute almost every game which threw opponents?

Gooch had a bounce which bamboozled defences....can't think of many others. Bellew used to kill people.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

FermGael

Always liked the Quigley shove. Very effective in croke park
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Syferus

Cavanagh's tackling will be soon lost to us.

Thank God.

screenexile

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2017, 10:05:53 PM
Sean's shimmy will soon be lost to us. Are there other players out there who had/have a signiture 'trick'....not a Mulligan dummy but a move they would execute almost every game which threw opponents?

Gooch had a bounce which bamboozled defences....can't think of many others. Bellew used to kill people.

I'm actually offended you haven't mentioned the "Doogie Boogie"!

BennyCake

I could never understand why so many defenders bought Cavanagh's shimmy. He was obviously only right footed.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2017, 10:05:53 PM

Ja Fallon dropping the shoulder
Hasta la victoria siempre

Syferus

Never beat the deeler

Padraic Joyce and Bernard Brogan had this way of bouncing the ball where they would take about 5 or 6 steps, then move the ball in a slow arc as they ran past the shoulder of the defender, taking a further 4 steps before the ball left the hand.

It meant they got a full run of 10 steps running at a defender to get past

Hasta la victoria siempre

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Aaron Boone

Sean's best shimmy will be avoiding the crowds on his way up the Hogan Stand steps in September.

redhandefender

Quote from: Syferus on January 17, 2017, 11:08:08 PM
Cavanagh's tackling will be soon lost to us.

Thank God.

Still time to embarrass yous in Omagh on the 4 Feb

Shamrock Shore

Longford's John "Speedy" McCormack (great player of the 80s) had a signature dummy which I swear I haven't seen before or since.

He'd go to kick the ball, commit the defender to the block, solo it instead while quickly turning, and be free - leaving the defender in a heap on the ground.

Always got a cheer. I cannot find any clips of it on the interwebs but it was amazing how many defenders fell for it time and time again.

ballinaman

orangeman

Mc Guigan's solo dummy left some men on their backside.

cuconnacht

McStay had that double shoulder drop boxer style feint while showing the ball,hypnotize,sidestep and gone!Absolute fker to mark.Cooper emulated some of that movement later on as does Cillian O Conner to a lesser degree at present.Beautiful to watch though.