Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Don't Pay campaign getting a bit of publicity.

BBC News - Energy bills: What do I do if I can't pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2022, 12:51:24 PM
Have turned off 5live recently as its non stop doom and gloom, its as if they can find the most extreme view on the predictions they can find and run with it..

Few things, we can all do without a few things but not prepared to do without because its norm

Phones, data, takeaway's, treats, going to the pub, getting over priced coffee, brand labeled food, starters, non essential journeys or driving to local shop, holidays, turning the thermostat down, netflix and the rest, replica football tops (never had one)

I'm sure there is a hell of a lot more crap we could cut out and be a lot more healthier for it, but are you will to do without?

Some of the above might even bring down costs from the energy providers if we didn't use so much

This 100% there is no sacrifices being made in a lot of situations, not all but some. Me and the mrs would prob be considered middle of the road both work 5/6 days a week have a mortgage both have a car (one paid off one on finance) we've seen our bills sky rocket we've sat down and done a list of what we can and can't do without, take away coffees and making a lunch every day was something you wouldn't think too much about but I'd say between us it's over £100 a week cut, we also used to go for something to eat every Sunday either breakfast or lunch cut that back to once a month sometimes twice another £60/70saved. That's just on things we did food wise.
Simple things like shopping in Lidl for most of our stuff. 

didn't upgrade her phone just got a PAYG sim cut another £50 a month. Gonna keep my car and not change it when it's paid off in 6 months be another 300 a month

It's about making cuts where you can, nobody's saying don't go on holiday etc, the small things are the 1s that add up i was shocked how much I was spending every day just grabbing coffee and lunch etc, make a lunch now and honestly makes no difference to me and it's saving me a fortune.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on August 10, 2022, 01:53:07 PM
Have turned off 5live recently as its non stop doom and gloom, its as if they can find the most extreme view on the predictions they can find and run with it..

Few things, we can all do without a few things but not prepared to do without because its norm

Phones, data, takeaway's, treats, going to the pub, getting over priced coffee, brand labeled food, starters, non essential journeys or driving to local shop, holidays, turning the thermostat down, netflix and the rest, replica football tops (never had one)

I'm sure there is a hell of a lot more crap we could cut out and be a lot more healthier for it, but are you will to do without?

Some of the above might even bring down costs from the energy providers if we didn't use so much

This 100% there is no sacrifices being made in a lot of situations, not all but some. Me and the mrs would prob be considered middle of the road both work 5/6 days a week have a mortgage both have a car (one paid off one on finance) we've seen our bills sky rocket we've sat down and done a list of what we can and can't do without, take away coffees and making a lunch every day was something you wouldn't think too much about but I'd say between us it's over £100 a week cut, we also used to go for something to eat every Sunday either breakfast or lunch cut that back to once a month sometimes twice another £60/70saved. That's just on things we did food wise.

didn't upgrade her phone just got a PAYG sim cut another £50 a month. Gonna keep my car and not change it when it's paid off in 6 months be another 300 a month

It's about making cuts where you can, nobody's saying don't go on holiday etc, the small things are the 1s that add up i was shocked how much I was spending every day just grabbing coffee and lunch etc, make a lunch now and honestly makes no difference to me and it's saving me a fortune.

Make a bigger dinner, eat less and bring the afters into work!!

I'm snookered for next 3 years with kids at college so will have to just do without the nice things for a period, be grand after that.. Kitchen loan should be paid off also, I think, I really didn't ask for how long we got it for but assume over 4/5 years
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on August 10, 2022, 01:26:09 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2022, 12:56:55 PM
The solution is a pay rise. Get one or get a new job.
Somebody get this  fella elected quickly, COL sorted.

If you have another solution I am all ears.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2022, 02:11:47 PM

Could get an extra job or work an extra day...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Definitely cutting down on toilet roll. The price of it is scandalous.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

seafoid

Inflation could be over in 12-18 months.
At some level of interest it will stop.
It's not a permanent change.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2022, 02:47:37 PM
Definitely cutting down on toilet roll. The price of it is scandalous.

Can always manage an extra fold that you don't plan on.

Square Ball

By the time we get this £400 it could be worth a lot less after the next increase. I have meters for gas and electric so am sticking on what ever I can afford now to stock up.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

marty34

Quote from: Sportacus on August 10, 2022, 12:38:12 PM
The response of our MLAs, MPs and all the chronies who support them is truly pathetic.  Late to the party on school uniforms, going round in circles on transferring energy support to the most needy, and still taking their wages.  It is absolutely disgusting.  They are a bunch of bluffers, stealing a living.

Uniform thing annoys me - btw as bad as the prices thing is, it's not that.

It's the fact that this conversation goes on mid-August year after year, after year.....and nothing is done about it.

Children's Comissioner puts out statements every year but nothing is every done.

It's like a topic for a week or so, then it's forgot about until the same time next year.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 10, 2022, 02:12:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on August 10, 2022, 02:11:47 PM

Could get an extra job or work an extra day...

A while back people were talking about working a 4 day week, a day less.

AustinPowers

Quote from: themac_23 on August 10, 2022, 01:53:07 PM

I find people waste a lot of food. And waste a lot  of money buying food that is  then wasted .  Some of the in laws when they call would bring Out  some food they won't be getting through.  Daft stuff, like  diced packets of carrots or  apple/pineapples etc.  Maybe. A pound for a few chunks of pineapple in a tub. You'd get 7 or 8 times the amount for the same price,  if you just bought a whole pineapple.  I mean I know people are busy but how hard is it  to cut a pineapple or  slice a few carrots?  Flip me but people have got more money than sense. And lazy as shite 

I'm not a massive  coffee drinker but I wouldn't give a penny for the pish that's considered  coffee in those Starbucks Nando's or whoever the hell they are, places... £4 for a cup of pish.  Madness.... £4 would  cover me  for a months coffee drinking at home.

Another thing... is breakfast cereals.  A few years ago I  started to but the cheaper weetabix. Happened to eat the real stuff other day  and frig me it was Like eating cardboard.  I'll stick with lidl's Thank you very much .  That show 'eat well for less'  with yer master chef fella is good for seeing where you can save and it shows the  madness people have with big brands

Milltown Row2

If your job can be done in 4 days rather 5 then grand, if you need extra then generate another wage, sister in law buys and sells on eBay brings in 3 or 4 hundred a month, time consuming and a bitta effort required but once you're up and running it's fine.

Wife used to tutor for transfer tests years ago, was a steady earner, also marking exams brought in few quid. Does feck all now  ;D

If I looked for a few extra areas in my profession I could earn good money, can't be arsed which I'll need to review going forward

What I'm trying to say there are loads of ways to get you through whatever happens these next few years of a recession, if you're willing or have the work ethic to do it

north_antrim_hound

What's the view on heating oil, it's gone down to 88 a litre do I fill the sucker right up now or chance it for another month. It's still going down
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2022, 02:56:07 PM
Inflation could be over in 12-18 months.
At some level of interest it will stop.
It's not a permanent change.

Does deflation ever happen?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'