Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2022, 09:21:57 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 02, 2022, 09:16:47 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 02, 2022, 08:10:39 AM
There are some but it's not in the same league as up North, if that's your point.
The North has more people struggling because it's in the UK and doesn't have a functioning economic model.

I think you underestimate the level of poverty in ROI as well. Unintentionally I hope. Demand for food banks in ROI increased 70% over covid. The North is not in a good position, so using it as a level of success for ROI isn't a smart idea.

Its his agenda though so he'll hardly move from it even if he has to use one himself

At the same time MR you have to admit that based on every economic metric going Northern Ireland is much poorer than the South and every region in GB as well.

You may be able to get a bottle of wine for £6 in Newtownabbey and the equivalent may be €9 in the south but you are remunerated accordingly.

Working class loyalists are getting shafted too, but they believe that working class nationalists are worse off so they take some form of comfort in that.

The oldest trick in the book.

trueblue1234

Quote from: johnnycool on August 02, 2022, 09:37:24 AM
There are some but it's not in the same league as up North, if that's your point.
The North has more people struggling because it's in the UK and doesn't have a functioning economic model.

I think you underestimate the level of poverty in ROI as well. Unintentionally I hope. Demand for food banks in ROI increased 70% over covid. The North is not in a good position, so using it as a level of success for ROI isn't a smart idea.

Its his agenda though so he'll hardly move from it even if he has to use one himself

At the same time MR you have to admit that based on every economic metric going Northern Ireland is much poorer than the South and every region in GB as well.

You may be able to get a bottle of wine for £6 in Newtownabbey and the equivalent may be €9 in the south but you are remunerated accordingly.

Working class loyalists are getting shafted too, but they believe that working class nationalists are worse off so they take some form of comfort in that.

I don't think NI is the worst across the UK in all aspects of poverty. Some of the deeper poverty metrics that look into After housing costs (AHC) rather than just flat income rates show some areas of the UK worse.
That said, it's a bit like trying to find the positives from finding a turd on your street. Because whatever way you look at it, you've still got a turd on your street!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

This. Well said

imtommygunn

It's not dissimilar in a lot of places. The people causing the problems are the ones that continue to get voted in. They put a manifesto out about change trying to gloss over the fact that we need change because of the position they put people in. People fall for it every time.

Milltown Row2

I completely understand that in the North there are certainly worse off areas that than parts of the south.  But wages in Dublin do not reflect the whole of Ireland which may in turn give a mixed view on things, otherwise why has there been a 70% rise in the the use or need for foodbanks?

Every one is noticing it more in their pocket, but to constantly post about how poor the north is (like he gives a shit) is a bit obsessive

As for the wine I wait on the 25% discounts at the local supermarkets and fill up lol!

Was in Malaga the other week, at a local tapas we'd probably 5 or 6 tapas with 6 or more drinks and a dessert between us, 40 euro .. same meal and drinks back home would cost close to £100, the game isnt straight
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

What are their wages etc though...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 02, 2022, 10:25:34 AM

Not sure the average wage of but a quick google check and its 28 grand a year similar to the UK I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2022, 10:21:59 AM

I completely understand that in the North there are certainly worse off areas that than parts of the south.  But wages in Dublin do not reflect the whole of Ireland which may in turn give a mixed view on things, otherwise why has there been a 70% rise in the the use or need for foodbanks?

Every one is noticing it more in their pocket, but to constantly post about how poor the north is (like he gives a shit) is a bit obsessive

As for the wine I wait on the 25% discounts at the local supermarkets and fill up lol!

Was in Malaga the other week, at a local tapas we'd probably 5 or 6 tapas with 6 or more drinks and a dessert between us, 40 euro .. same meal and drinks back home would cost close to £100, the game isnt straight

Ah Sainsburys

Tony Baloney

No cost of living crisis in Co. Down. Was in a hotel in Newcastle over the weekend and it was £9.50 for a 125mL glass of white wine and a fiver for a small bottle of Peroni  :o

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2022, 10:35:39 AM

Not sure the average wage of but a quick google check and its 28 grand a year similar to the UK I think

Restaurant staff in Malaga are categorically not being paid 28k a year.

grounded

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 02, 2022, 01:01:31 PM

No cost of living crisis in Co. Down. Was in a hotel in Newcastle over the weekend and it was £9.50 for a 125mL glass of white wine and a fiver for a small bottle of Peroni  :o

THe Slieve Donard no doubt. Big stuff!

Tony Baloney

Aye the bastards. If I had known the price the missus would have been on the tap water.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on August 02, 2022, 01:04:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2022, 10:35:39 AM

Restaurant staff in Malaga are categorically not being paid 28k a year.

I wasn't quoting staff wages as anyone that works that type of job, (I've two daughters doing that currently) is getting buttons, the average wage in Spain  I'm reporting

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 02, 2022, 01:01:31 PM

Ache sure spend a bit, ya can't take it with ya