Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Any particular reason for the diesel coming down now and can we expect it to go up again anytime soon?

screenexile

Oil and gas companies announcing vast profits in 2nd quarter, Apr-Jun:
Shell: £9.5bn
TotalEnergies: £4.5bn
Equinor: £14.5bn

This is one quarter Jesus Christ!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on July 28, 2022, 09:03:56 AM

And they want us to pay nearly £500 of energy bills in Jan? They aint even embarrassed about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

And you can be certain that those figures are the absolute minimum they can get away with declaring

But somehow a windfall tax on this is unworkable as it would discourage businesses from investing

Belongs in the WTF thread to be honest

Eire90

Supermac's boss Pat McDonagh 'concerned' about potential food shortages and urges people to buy 'long-life food'

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:42:41 AM

And they want us to pay nearly £500 of energy bills in Jan? They aint even embarrassed about it

These oil companies are riding the hole of us all. They expect us to believe their margins are being squeezed but yet here they are recording record profits at a time when many people are struggling.

imtommygunn

So energy prices in the uk are to go up 77% in October and more in January. That's not going to go down well (this is uk)

seafoid

https://monthlyreview.org/2011/03/01/structural-crisis-in-the-world-system/

The primary characteristic of a structural crisis is chaos.
A secondary characteristic is the 6 in a row
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Honestly last time I mind money talked about in such a way in relation to normal day to day commodities was the early 80s. People starting to feel the pinch, a winter of discontent beckons. My advice get a job change now if you can that will bump you up for a buffer-easier said than done

Gmac

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 28, 2022, 04:24:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2022, 10:42:41 AM

These oil companies are riding the hole of us all. They expect us to believe their margins are being squeezed but yet here they are recording record profits at a time when many people are struggling.
the tech companies cleaned up in 20/21 so did Amazon and the pharmaceutical companies now it's oil companies turn , crisis after crisis all man made all easily avoidable and the suckers keep paying the price .

Captain Scarlet

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

Profits basically up ~400% in 6 months. Jesus H Christ.

I don't understand why that has happened so dramatically this year and hasn't been a steady climb over years. Like why the big bang? Is it because they are using the war in ukraine as a smoke screen to up prices?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2022, 09:21:21 AM
Profits basically up ~400% in 6 months. Jesus H Christ.

I don't understand why that has happened so dramatically this year and hasn't been a steady climb over years. Like why the big bang? Is it because they are using the war in ukraine as a smoke screen to up prices?

So when the war is over, what will they use then? The Pandemic, or Brexit or climate change? These prices profits will only keep going, its like they are getting ready for when this type of fuel will be less used and they are raking it in while they can
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

There will be a trade off point because it could reach a point that so few will be able to afford they can't get their profits. Note in that article about the number of customers yet to pay.

I still believe there is going to be significant unrest coming over this winter. A lot of people can't afford to live if they have to heat the house. What if we get a harsh winter?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2022, 09:26:51 AM
There will be a trade off point because it could reach a point that so few will be able to afford they can't get their profits. Note in that article about the number of customers yet to pay.

I still believe there is going to be significant unrest coming over this winter. A lot of people can't afford to live if they have to heat the house. What if we get a harsh winter?

Yeah, its not looking great, up to this point Ive never really worried about heating the house of upping the thermostat if required...

Now I'm looking at fixing some of the double glazing windows which are not closing properly, getting the boiler changed, turning the thermostat down, getting thicker quilts and using the fire more often

Have been looking at my shopping bills and trying to reduce them, and will sit down and look at my payments going out for certain things... Netflix and those things...

We are pretty lucky with decent jobs so I can't think what its like with someone on minimum wage