The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Like a barrel after xmas.. so off bread (only ever had wholemeal) no snacks, no chocolate, bed early and plenty of water. Boiled egg for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and a ordinary small portioned dinner!! I'll change that up but reducing the portions, was that full at times I was nearly sick!!

Oh and no drink till end of month
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 02:28:39 PM
Like a barrel after xmas.. so off bread (only ever had wholemeal) no snacks, no chocolate, bed early plenty of riding ........ and plenty of water. Boiled egg for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and a ordinary small portioned dinner!! I'll change that up but reducing the portions, was that full at times I was nearly sick!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rudi on January 04, 2023, 02:51:00 PM
Like a barrel after xmas.. so off bread (only ever had wholemeal) no snacks, no chocolate, bed early plenty of riding ........ and plenty of water. Boiled egg for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and a ordinary small portioned dinner!! I'll change that up but reducing the portions, was that full at times I was nearly sick!!

Ah they were the days!! Plenty sleep is much more appealing, would hate do do a back injury and trying to get an appointment nowadays...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Like a barrel after xmas.. so off bread (only ever had wholemeal) no snacks, no chocolate, bed early and plenty of water. Boiled egg for breakfast, homemade soup for lunch and a ordinary small portioned dinner!! I'll change that up but reducing the portions, was that full at times I was nearly sick!!

Might appear silly question MR2 but how do you reduce portion sizes without feeling hungry shortly after? Any tips?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 04, 2023, 03:42:04 PM

Might appear silly question MR2 but how do you reduce portion sizes without feeling hungry shortly after? Any tips?

The hunger pains are just in your head!! once you reduce the size of your portions or plate then the stomach won't be looking the same amount of food... It normalizes it.

So for instance, for me If I make a rice dish, I'd have had two and half ladle sized portions of rice then whatever food on top of that, take even one ladle size away 1 1/2 then and apportion the food on top..

But once I get back to normal weight and out exercising properly again then I can increase it based on how I'm going at the,  everyone is different though so your body is good at letting you know lol

If you really look at the amount of food we eat and better still the amount we waste, its crazy..

Drinking water or having a cuppa can help with distracting the hunger, eat as early as you can for dinner too, that long fast till breakfast is a tightner lol Cut out the snacks or change them to carrot sticks!!

Nanderson

Psychologically best thing to do is buy smaller plates to eat your meals on. makes it look like a big meal even though its not

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 04, 2023, 03:51:38 PM

The hunger pains are just in your head!! once you reduce the size of your portions or plate then the stomach won't be looking the same amount of food... It normalizes it.

So for instance, for me If I make a rice dish, I'd have had two and half ladle sized portions of rice then whatever food on top of that, take even one ladle size away 1 1/2 then and apportion the food on top..

But once I get back to normal weight and out exercising properly again then I can increase it based on how I'm going at the,  everyone is different though so your body is good at letting you know lol

If you really look at the amount of food we eat and better still the amount we waste, its crazy..

Drinking water or having a cuppa can help with distracting the hunger, eat as early as you can for dinner too, that long fast till breakfast is a tightner lol Cut out the snacks or change them to carrot sticks!!

Good man. Snacking in the evening is a problem  ::)

AustinPowers

Quote from: Nanderson on January 04, 2023, 03:52:41 PM

Psychologically best thing to do is buy smaller plates to eat your meals on. makes it look like a big meal even though its not

Frig that , I like to be like able to  cut up my food  without your peas or spuds  falling all over the table.  It's a big plate for me  even if only small dinner .  I hate   wtching  people fiddling about  with dinner on small plates

general_lee

Drink loads of water.

thebigfella

I just fill the plate up with lean protein and non-starchy veg rather than reducing portion size. Anyway if you training hard you need the fuel. 

tonto1888

more protein

Armagh18

Quote from: jcpen on January 04, 2023, 02:23:33 PM
Put on some serious weight the last few months.
Used to be pretty consistent going to the gym, swimming,running etc and played hurling for many a year.
Lost motivation during the summer when I injured myself and didn't train for about 4 weeks.
Need to get back into it soon, but the lack of motivation is high.
I entered the Dublin Marathon ballot also and actually got a place so will need to get a plan together for that at some point.
Just take it step by step. Don't try and go from zero to 100 straight away, try and do stuff you know you'll enjoy, even start by trying to get more steps in everyday.

tintin25

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 05, 2023, 10:34:19 AM
Quote from: jcpen on January 04, 2023, 02:23:33 PM
Put on some serious weight the last few months.
Used to be pretty consistent going to the gym, swimming,running etc and played hurling for many a year.
Lost motivation during the summer when I injured myself and didn't train for about 4 weeks.
Need to get back into it soon, but the lack of motivation is high.
I entered the Dublin Marathon ballot also and actually got a place so will need to get a plan together for that at some point.
Just take it step by step. Don't try and go from zero to 100 straight away, try and do stuff you know you'll enjoy, even start by trying to get more steps in everyday.

It won't happen overnight, but if you start making the adjustments to diet and work out more then the weight will come off - you didn't put it on overnight so don't expect it to come off overnight.  Sometimes it can take 6-12 months before you start seeing noticeable changes.  I find the strength and conditioning is great - do it 3 times a week and really enjoy it.  I'm paying abit more than normal gyms but it's worth it.

An Watcher

Started doing weights for the first time in my life this year and have noticed a brave difference in weight loss.  All totally alien to me but slowly getting there.  Not looking to lift crazy weights, just doing what I can without pushing myself too much. 

jcpen

Do any of you practice intermittent fasting?
This is one of my 3 usernames.