Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Itchy on June 20, 2022, 12:07:04 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 20, 2022, 10:41:49 AM
Who here thinks there were other candidates for man of the match?  McLoughlin, either Smith.

McLoughlin was unreal and Smith close 2nd. Who picked the mom?

The lads doing the punditry. They name checked Gerry and McLoughlin though. I do think G had a good game though. He probably stood out for others as our big name player. Also think that we're so used to Gearoid playing to a high level consistently, that we expect it of him as his usual level, we get used to it. He was good, I'd have given it to Gerry or Jason though.

Westside

What about Gunner hitting a big score after the Sligo goal?? Maybe the second or third time I've seen him hit a point for Cavan.

Lynch was well wrapped up. Defenders are probably watching lots of tape and are figuring out how to stop him. Important that we continue to get Galligan and Gearoid running off him.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on June 20, 2022, 02:42:23 PM
What about Gunner hitting a big score after the Sligo goal?? Maybe the second or third time I've seen him hit a point for Cavan.

Lynch was well wrapped up. Defenders are probably watching lots of tape and are figuring out how to stop him. Important that we continue to get Galligan and Gearoid running off him.

Gunner did well alright, not too often you see him take a point like that, it was a belter too. He can tell the grandkids about a cracker he scored at HQ back in the day.

What did we think of the supposed foot block? Really not sure what to think. It wasn't what you would call a standard foot block. He threw himself forward to block the ball, and then the forward kicked the back of Gunners leg. Is this a foot block? It's not the one we usually see where thy use their foot to block the ball, potentially causing injury to the kicker. It was Gunner himself who ended up injured on the back of that, was hobbling and had to come off after it. Thoughts?

Westside

Personally I think calling a penalty for that would have been harsh. He didn't go in foot first. He went in with his hands and intended to block with his hands.

You'd have to say Cavan are really clicking up front. I know a lot of people were questioning Johnston earlier in the year but we have really improved in that department. We still need James Smith to up his conversion rate but overall we look much stronger in the attacking third.

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 21, 2022, 08:00:53 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 20, 2022, 02:42:23 PM

Gunner did well alright, not too often you see him take a point like that, it was a belter too. He can tell the grandkids about a cracker he scored at HQ back in the day.

What did we think of the supposed foot block? Really not sure what to think. It wasn't what you would call a standard foot block. He threw himself forward to block the ball, and then the forward kicked the back of Gunners leg. Is this a foot block? It's not the one we usually see where thy use their foot to block the ball, potentially causing injury to the kicker. It was Gunner himself who ended up injured on the back of that, was hobbling and had to come off after it. Thoughts?

I think Gunner and Faulkner really struggled. They were however left very isolated by the way Cavan set up and I think thats on Mickey as he did not show the Sligo inside line the respect they deserved. It could have gone badly wrong and a repeat of that set up against Westmeath could be disastrous. I dont buy the idea either he was holding something back for the final.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on June 21, 2022, 09:15:24 AM
Personally I think calling a penalty for that would have been harsh. He didn't go in foot first. He went in with his hands and intended to block with his hands.

You'd have to say Cavan are really clicking up front. I know a lot of people were questioning Johnston earlier in the year but we have really improved in that department. We still need James Smith to up his conversion rate but overall we look much stronger in the attacking third.

That's what i thought too. Didn't look like the usual footblock where a player sticks their foot out when the ball is being struck. He was blocking with his body and hands like you say, and then the forward kicked him. Wouldn't have been surprised if it was given though, probably makes up for the penalty that they did get. It was definitely not in the box.

I'd agree. We're running up good totals, and it could be better if we get some to up their conversion rate, or not take low % shots. Suppose it's the game we're playing, we're pushing forward and leaving ourselves a bit open at the back. We're trusting our forwards to shoot out whatever the other team scores.

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on June 22, 2022, 07:41:56 AM
Quote from: Westside on June 21, 2022, 09:15:24 AM

That's what i thought too. Didn't look like the usual footblock where a player sticks their foot out when the ball is being struck. He was blocking with his body and hands like you say, and then the forward kicked him. Wouldn't have been surprised if it was given though, probably makes up for the penalty that they did get. It was definitely not in the box.

I'd agree. We're running up good totals, and it could be better if we get some to up their conversion rate, or not take low % shots. Suppose it's the game we're playing, we're pushing forward and leaving ourselves a bit open at the back. We're trusting our forwards to shoot out whatever the other team scores.

I would have thought our conversion rate on points was very decent. The big issue is we pushed men forward when Sligo were in possession and doing kick outs yet hardly ever turned them over high up the field. That was poor. We also failed to filter back (perhaps by design) to cover our Full backs who were left really exposed. It was a poor defensive effort from Cavan.

Westside

I don't think there was a true intention to push up the Sligo kickout. When Cavan decide to press fully there's an intensity and method to it. I didn't see any of that Sunday. It looked like we were happy enough to allow them to take the kickout short. Strange given how well we were doing when they did kick long.

I think we are in a better position coming into this final. All of a sudden people are tipping Westmeath and we are no longer the red hot favourites. Westmeath's running game and attacking power is getting a lot of attention and the main takeaway from our game is how well Sligo did. I'd much rather it this way than if we had hammered Sligo and people are talking about how we're too good for the division..

Dreadnought

Quote from: Westside on June 22, 2022, 08:55:54 AM
I don't think there was a true intention to push up the Sligo kickout. When Cavan decide to press fully there's an intensity and method to it. I didn't see any of that Sunday. It looked like we were happy enough to allow them to take the kickout short. Strange given how well we were doing when they did kick long.

I think we are in a better position coming into this final. All of a sudden people are tipping Westmeath and we are no longer the red hot favourites. Westmeath's running game and attacking power is getting a lot of attention and the main takeaway from our game is how well Sligo did. I'd much rather it this way than if we had hammered Sligo and people are talking about how we're too good for the division..

Fully agree. It was the method we used for Sligo, but we know it won't work for Westmeath. By all accounts Faulkner was suffering food poisoning and others just didn't have a great game. Can't see that being the case 2 games in a row. Absolutely fine by me the way things went Sunday. It tempers things a little, everyone is paying attention to them now. It was no bad thing for us to know we've things to work on, and for them to think they're great with their big win. We're in a good place. Hope likes of Marty and Gunner will be ok after their injuries. 3 weeks should be enough time for any small niggles.

Itchy

If thats the case why didnt we have some cover for Faulkner and Gunner then. It didnt make sense what was happening.

Westside

Quote from: Itchy on June 22, 2022, 10:26:26 AM

If thats the case why didnt we have some cover for Faulkner and Gunner then. It didnt make sense what was happening.

Yeah it's confusing. We were implementing a half hearted press, not turning them over from ashort kick outs or really forcing them to go long. But still leaving our full backs, one of whom was unwell apparently, without any cover.

What will the match ups be for the final? I'd expect Conor Brady to pick up Heslin, Clarke on Connellan and maybe McLoughlin on O'Toole.

Cavan19

Just on this in the years before it was the thing to have sweepers in place and the game was played a bit more direct would some of the players we have now even be county players as they seem to get into awful bother when left 1 on 1?

Westside

Quote from: Cavan19 on June 24, 2022, 06:07:55 PM

Just on this in the years before it was the thing to have sweepers in place and the game was played a bit more direct would some of the players we have now even be county players as they seem to get into awful bother when left 1 on 1?

Would Faulkner or Gunner still be county players if they came through now? Yes absolutely.

Dreadnought

How we feeling for Saturday folks? And how on earth has Cassidy got this game. I thought we'd never see him again after that performance 2 years ago...

Itchy

Quote from: Dreadnought on July 07, 2022, 07:50:53 AM
How we feeling for Saturday folks? And how on earth has Cassidy got this game. I thought we'd never see him again after that performance 2 years ago...

I think it will be a different type of game than the semi final, more like the 2nd half against Fermanagh with us getting a few more men behind the ball when they have possession. I think Westmeath look poor enough at the back bar their Full Back who looks like a top player. So I am going to say we can win by 2 or 3 points.