Senior Hurlers 2022

Started by mcwregor, December 16, 2021, 10:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof1915

Quote from: burdizzo on April 16, 2022, 08:14:06 PM
Seems like a decent performance, though definitely an opportunity lost.
Hope the injury to Podge isn't too bad...
Podge broke the collarbone. Gone for 8 weeks I'm hearing

Brandon

Hard luck to Laois they came very close to Dublin. No dig at cheddar here but we've never beaten a team in the league or championship that are so called the top 9 came close a few times like Galway or Dublin bet cheddar can never seem to get over the line and beat a big team he's there for so long now. Eddie Brennan took 2 years to beat a big team (Dublin).

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Brandon on April 18, 2022, 10:47:00 AM
Hard luck to Laois they came very close to Dublin. No dig at cheddar here but we've never beaten a team in the league or championship that are so called the top 9 came close a few times like Galway or Dublin bet cheddar can never seem to get over the line and beat a big team he's there for so long now. Eddie Brennan took 2 years to beat a big team (Dublin).

In fairness, we were missing our best forward in Picky and a few more besides. Ross King and Podge injured badly during the match. We need everyone to have a chance so I wouldn't be too hard on them.

Giovanni

Podge is a huge loss. Our best since John Taylor I'd say.

Robbo

Quote from: Giovanni on April 18, 2022, 09:09:01 PM
Podge is a huge loss. Our best since John Taylor I'd say.

Sad for podge. Brilliant hurler.
Massive loss. Says it all when he was picked captain at that age.

Has a ways to go to be better than Joe fitzpatrick or matt whelan let along a great like Taylor.

G@@

U20s tonight V Wexford in Portlaoise. 7.30pm. Live on TG4 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnIEB9579oE
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

So close...
How Obular's fair shoulder ended up in a 21yd free is beyond me. Fair challenge a giveaway point from the ref.
Twice in the first half ref blew up challenges against us when we should have been given the advantage.
All said, we weren't cute enough in front of goals whereas Wexford looked more like grabbing a goal.
Tynan is some operator - great game by him. Surprised Danny Delaney was brought off - thought he had a great game.
Overall our workrate was impressive.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Giovanni

Quote from: G@@ on April 19, 2022, 01:13:43 PM
U20s tonight V Wexford in Portlaoise. 7.30pm. Live on TG4 Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnIEB9579oE

Thanks a lot for posting this. Wasn't able to make the game so was great to see it online.

Very unfortunate tonight. Wexford's backs looked very tight and they were hard to break down but there is plenty to be optimistic about.

Laois Rising

It's a real pity that this Laois team had key players that were injured coming into this game along with a couple of guaranteed starters who were unable to commit to U20s this year as well. It's an opportunity lost. Very talented bunch of players over the last two years but unfortunately didn't achieve that big scalp that we hoped they would get.

G@@

Kilkenny tomorrow evening in Nolan Park - 5.30pm throw-in.
There doesn't seem to be any online stream of the game - neither GAAgo or TG4 have it listed.

Teams named as follows: (from: https://www.laoistoday.ie/2022/04/22/laois-hurling-team-named-for-leinster-championship-clash-with-kilkenny/ )

LAOIS: Enda Rowland;
Fiachra C Fennell, Sean Downey, Donnchadh Hartnett;
Ciaran McEvoy, Liam O'Connell, Ryan Mullaney;
Aidan Corby, Jack Kelly;
Cha Dwyer, Paddy Purcell, James Keyes;
PJ Scully, Jordan Walshe, Mark Dowling

KILKENNY: Eoin Murphy;
Mikey Butler, Huw Lawlor, Tommy Walsh;
Michael Carey, Paddy Deegan, Conor Browne;
James Maher, Adrian Mullen,
Walter Walsh, Padraig Walsh, John Donnelly;
Billy Ryan, TJ Reid, Eoin Cody.

Jordan Walshe at full forward making his debut. I thought he looked the part in our last league game - not afraid to take on a score.
Fennell, Downey and Hartnett will have a tough evening marking Ryan, Reid and Cody. Billy Ryan looked lively against us in the league.

Our half forward line certainly packs a punch. Cha and Purcell are well able to fire over points from distance and angles, they also can burst through on goal also which we will need to do. This KK defence is not the of the same rearguard quality we were accustomed to over the years - so we will have to run at them to test them.

Kelly and Corby at midfield is an interesting pairing. I'd rather Jack back at 5 personally - it is IMHO where he has played his best hurling for Laois at. Eitherways, the two lads will have their hands full containing Mullen who is a sharp and quick operator.

I hope Rowland brings his A game tomorrow night - the last time in Nolan Park he seemed to have a rare off-day with unusual short puckouts at times that seemed off-script.

Looking forward to this - while Kilkenny's stock has fallen in recent years, they are still a force to be reckoned with and I hope we can test them all the way. Not conceding goals - which is hard against Reid and co. is vital for us to live with Kilkenny. Best of luck to the lads and a speedy recovery to Podge and Ross. Hopefully all the lads make it through this week without knocks.

Zooming around

Quote from: Laois Rising on April 22, 2022, 02:29:22 PM
It's a real pity that this Laois team had key players that were injured coming into this game along with a couple of guaranteed starters who were unable to commit to U20s this year as well. It's an opportunity lost. Very talented bunch of players over the last two years but unfortunately didn't achieve that big scalp that we hoped they would get.

Who were injured or unable to commit?

Robbo

Quote from: Zooming around on April 23, 2022, 01:25:27 AM
Quote from: Laois Rising on April 22, 2022, 02:29:22 PM

Who were injured or unable to commit?

Fionan mahoney, ciaran Burke, dylan carroll and David Dooley would have been strong candidtaes to starters. Think that's fair to say.
Injury issues with mossy keyes and cathal Murphy.

Think few others may have added to the panel.

G@@

Very poor showing against KK tonight. 2-34 to 1-14 is a horrendous result.
Our wides were woeful. Only positive was our ability to hold off most of the KK goal chances, we were decent enough at snuffing those out.
I cannot understand the approach played by management - our line out and positioning was awful. In addition, the lads seemed to stand off.
Wexford bet tonight means they'll come to Portlaoise next Saturday with a sting in their tail. With our injury list and no doubt a morale that's deflated after tonight's result I fear another rout.

Laois man

Shocking performance we are so far behind the top teams. Our team set up is so negative its unbelievable.

burdizzo

Quote from: G@@ on April 23, 2022, 07:56:50 PM
Very poor showing against KK tonight. 2-34 to 1-14 is a horrendous result.
Our wides were woeful. Only positive was our ability to hold off most of the KK goal chances, we were decent enough at snuffing those out.
I cannot understand the approach played by management - our line out and positioning was awful. In addition, the lads seemed to stand off.
Wexford bet tonight means they'll come to Portlaoise next Saturday with a sting in their tail. With our injury list and no doubt a morale that's deflated after tonight's result I fear another rout.

Yes, pretty much that. The last-ditch defence was good and Hartnett, Downey, Rowland, and even Macca were all manful in holding KK to two goals. However, we have very little in the forwards, and certainly no 'danger-man'. Purcell's goal was a glimpse of what he can do, but he's not at the level he has been at. Some of the second-half wides were ridiculous.
I know Kilkenny were very good, and a lot of our better lads are out injured, but we really do need to find some sort of scoring threat. I know it's stating the obvious, but 1-14 ain't much.