Colm Parkinson/The GAA Hour

Started by gallsman, November 09, 2020, 10:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearsiuil

Quote from: JoeSoap on July 02, 2022, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 02, 2022, 07:50:36 AM
Quote from: weareros on July 01, 2022, 04:26:30 PM
Only ever paid for two podcasts on Patreon - Wooly and Second Captains. I signed up for SC 5 or 6 years ago to hear a good Kevin McStay interview at time when he was Ros manager. I gave them a fair chance but eventually had to cancel because the waffle at the beginning was unbearable and the like of thing you'd hear from some poseurs trying to be funny at a University students Union. Wooly on the other hand understands audio and keeps the show moving well with a couple of great contributors. I hope they all make a few bob.
The Second Captains one is too soccer focused for me to pay for it.

I enjoy their soccer coverage, it's their rugby pods I can't stand. Rinse and repeat in terms of what the pundits say and god forbid if they have Gerry Thornley on and anyone dares venture any tiny criticism against the Ireland players. It's nauseating stuff. The only time their rugby coverage is good in my opinion is when they have on Craig Ray from South Africa or Scotty Stevenson from New Zealand, enjoy listening to them 2.

I subscribe to Second Captains mostly because of their soccer coverage though and as well, they'll quite often have a story you'll have never heard of that's pretty interesting, I've picked up a few books in the past based off interviews they've had or stories they've covered of different niche sports. They tend to get a wide variety of guests on. Their RTE radio show is decent as well, where they have a guest on and "rank" their sporting life, it's a bit of craic

But their GAA coverage has been poor overall this year, it's improved in recent weeks but they haven't spoken about the Tailteann Cup at all and the hurling has barely been covered until recently. I'm not a hurling man but it's been pretty noticeable. I also generally find your man Murph hard enough to listen to at times with the GAA coverage, when they just let Flynn and McConville go themselves it's a good listen but as someone else mentioned, Flynn can lose the run of himself as well.
Found their very limited GAA coverage bit annoying for my tastes and the rinse and repeat Ken Earley disdain for all things GAA kinda boring - okay we get it you don't tune in to it Ken but don't use it as some sort of filler! Been so long since listened to them it is probably no longer relevant.  Murph a bit up his own back passage but McDevitt very good in fairness.

rosnarun

I still subscribe to Second captains but they are on thier last legs with me . how they can allow Ken early drivel on for about 20 mins at a time taking up weak contrarian positions is beyond me. are the other 2 lads the only people in he world that finds him Funny.
I Like Ciaran Murphy  when he's talking about gaa to Football people esp oisin McConville
As as for their university level right on politics  , nobody signed up for that 
and dont get me started on richard sadlier
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

blewuporstuffed

The GAA Social with Thomas Niblock and Oisin McConville on BBC is the best GAA Podcast of the lot IMO
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Snapchap

Quote from: Westside on July 01, 2022, 10:43:44 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 30, 2022, 08:35:54 PM
Quote from: Westside on June 30, 2022, 07:51:15 PM
Wooly is great because he can be so abrasive.

Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row.

It makes good media, even if it isn't true.

A great example of the type of nonsense Wooly doesn't allow his guests to come out with. Have you listened to the podcast? He gives a very concise breakdown as to how Armagh escalated a two man row into an outright violent brawl, outlined that this is their third brawl of this year alone and McGeeney instead of stamping it out is more interested in picking on journalists and asking them if they would push back when pushed. It was almost uncomfortable the extent to which he hammered home these facts to Aaron Kiernan who was trying to skirt around the issues, great listening.

It's exactly the type of thing you want pundits to say but they usually take the sharp edges off their comments. Parkinson doesn't do that and it's what has gained him such a large following.
Far be it from me to defend Armagh, but no point accusing anyone of talking nonsense and then describing what happened as "an outright violent brawl". One fella eye gouged another and then someone hit him for it. Everyone else pushed and shoved each other a bit with not a single punch thrown. Some people love to be dramatic about these pushing and shoving matches. The word "brawl" gets thrown about very easily in GAA coverage.

Westside

Quote from: Snapchap on July 05, 2022, 10:13:26 AM

Parkinson immediately and sternly called him out on it and let him know Armagh started the row.

A great example of the type of nonsense Wooly doesn't allow his guests to come out with. Have you listened to the podcast? He gives a very concise breakdown as to how Armagh escalated a two man row into an outright violent brawl, outlined that this is their third brawl of this year alone and McGeeney instead of stamping it out is more interested in picking on journalists and asking them if they would push back when pushed. It was almost uncomfortable the extent to which he hammered home these facts to Aaron Kiernan who was trying to skirt around the issues, great listening.

It's exactly the type of thing you want pundits to say but they usually take the sharp edges off their comments. Parkinson doesn't do that and it's what has gained him such a large following.
Far be it from me to defend Armagh, but no point accusing anyone of talking nonsense and then describing what happened as "an outright violent brawl". One fella eye gouged another and then someone hit him for it. Everyone else pushed and shoved each other a bit with not a single punch thrown. Some people love to be dramatic about these pushing and shoving matches. The word "brawl" gets thrown about very easily in GAA coverage.

You're right, if you ignore the eye gouging and punching, there was nothing to it.

Armagh18

Quote from: Westside on July 05, 2022, 01:51:17 PM

You're right, if you ignore the eye gouging and punching, there was nothing to it.
So 2 poor incidents, one as a direct and understandable reaction to the other equates to a violent brawl now? Jesus I'd say you're some craic on a night out

Snapchap

"Ignoring the eye gouging and the punching?" Did you read my post? I literally said:
"One fella eye gouged another and then someone hit him for it. Everyone else pushed and shoved each other a bit".

So, again, does a single violent act, followed by a single retaliatory violent act, constitute a brawl? Or does was it the pushing and shoving that you're calling "an outright violent brawl"?

Westside

Quote from: Snapchap on July 05, 2022, 02:19:23 PM

"Ignoring the eye gouging and the punching?" Did you read my post? I literally said:
"One fella eye gouged another and then someone hit him for it. Everyone else pushed and shoved each other a bit".

So, again, does a single violent act, followed by a single retaliatory violent act, constitute a brawl? Or does was it the pushing and shoving that you're calling "an outright violent brawl"?

Does grabbing a lad by the neck and pulling him to the ground not count as violence?

Westside

Quote from: Armagh18 on July 05, 2022, 01:56:51 PM

So 2 poor incidents, one as a direct and understandable reaction to the other equates to a violent brawl now? Jesus I'd say you're some craic on a night out

2 acts of violence (3 if you count the Armagh player who grabbed a Galway player by the neck and dragged him to the ground) mean that the brawl was violent. What part of that is unclear? How many people would Armagh players have had to eye gouge before you'd be willing to call it violent?

Snapchap

Quote from: Westside on July 05, 2022, 04:37:46 PM

Does grabbing a lad by the next and pulling him to the ground not count as violence?

The entire incident was almost exclusively pushing and shoving. Most people would expect "an outright violent brawl" to have involved more than one single striking action through it's entirity. Easy on the sensationalism, that's all I'm saying.

Westside

Quote from: Snapchap on July 05, 2022, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: Westside on July 05, 2022, 04:37:46 PM

Does grabbing a lad by the next and pulling him to the ground not count as violence?

The entire incident was almost exclusively pushing and shoving. Most people would expect "an outright violent brawl" to have involved more than one single striking action through it's entirity. Easy on the sensationalism, that's all I'm saying.

You can keep the bar where you please for these things of course. For me, a melee where a man got eye gouged, another got punched full force in the head and another wrestled to the ground by his neck would count as a violent brawl.

Silver hill

Meath/ Mayo in 96 was a violent brawl. The incident at the end of normal time was 95% handbags and generally just pushing and shoving (apart from the two incidents that have already been outlined).
Ease off on the old hyperbole lads. Very easy to get carried away with the hand wringing.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Silver hill on July 06, 2022, 11:08:26 PM
Meath/ Mayo in 96 was a violent brawl. The incident at the end of normal time was 95% handbags and generally just pushing and shoving (apart from the two incidents that have already been outlined).
Ease off on the old hyperbole lads. Very easy to get carried away with the hand wringing.

I also think the entire thing has been over sensationalised.

But if you are going back over 25 years to use an example of a worse brawl, its not proving the point you think it is
Hasta la victoria siempre

rrhf

After the brawl send off the 2 captains and managers as a standard measure.
The only way to punish a team in real time and to encourage internal discipline within a camp. It is nigh on impossible to single out individuals.
Standard punishment which will deter the messy pile ons. 
Wrestling black card offence.   10 mins sinbin.
Wrestling and a throw straight red. 
Punch, kick or gouge staright red.

rosnarun

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 07, 2022, 01:03:10 AM
Quote from: Silver hill on July 06, 2022, 11:08:26 PM
rare to see a rugby matchwith out at least that level of off he ball violence, eye gouge apart m though its much more frequent there too.
there were  eight officals lokking at it more than enough to finger the real perpetrator rather than just token captains. one of which clearly refuse to engage in the violence. and i never noticed the other.
shit referring but then again what ever they did would be undone by some smart arse on the ccccccccc
I also think the entire thing has been over sensationalised.

But if you are going back over 25 years to use an example of a worse brawl, its not proving the point you think it is
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere