Time to merge the LGFA and Camogie Association under the GAA umbrella

Started by Eamonnca1, October 03, 2017, 07:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

The LGFA financial model is different to the GAA's. Mainly due to insurance being paid by the club for males but by the individual for females.

Rossfan

I see the best footballer in Co. Mayo is off to Australian Rules.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2017, 11:30:49 AM
I see the best footballer in Co. Mayo is off to Australian Rules.

Best of luck to her. Hope she does well and makes a few bob for herself. An absolute legend.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2017, 11:30:49 AM
I see the best footballer in Co. Mayo  Ireland is off to Australian Rules.
Corrected that for you!

Syferus

Interesting that she's still not ready to call it off at IC either. Carnacon beat Kilbride in Connacht at the weekend and she'll be around until their championship is over too.

It speaks to how highly she's rated that at 34 she's drafted in a sport she's never played.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 04:47:04 PM
Interesting that she's still not ready to call it off at IC either. Carnacon beat Kilbride in Connacht at the weekend and she'll be around until their championship is over too.

It speaks to how highly she's rated that at 34 she's drafted in a sport she's never played.
I first saw her play in the 1994 FĂ©ile final in Castlebar and even then you knew she was a special talent. Over the years she has never failed to give her best for club and county. Club has probably kept her going as the years since Mayo won an All -Ireland have been difficult in many ways at inter-county level.
Not one for the limelight either but like many others who shy away from the public she could be seen to her best with young girls and boys. I happened to see her recently after a training session for the All Ireland. When the girls had finished eating there was food left over. Cora plated it up and went round with it to some teenage lads who had arrived in from training. You should have seen their reaction. Pure Class.
In other sports many women have gone on at elite level into their late thirties. I hope she does too.

thejuice

Is ladies AFL any different to the mens?

It will be interesting to see how she adapts at 34 years old its a tough task but the Aussies are obviously happy to go with her.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: thejuice on October 18, 2017, 09:17:28 PM
Is ladies AFL any different to the mens?

It will be interesting to see how she adapts at 34 years old its a tough task but the Aussies are obviously happy to go with her.

With the sport so nascent and the season so short (seven league games, one more if you make the final) I doubt age matters too much. Cora's sheer power and ability to score from distance would be a huge asset in a sport like Aussie rules if she adapts to the oval ball well.

macdanger2

westbound

mrhardyannual

Quote from: westbound on October 19, 2017, 11:16:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is Cora's full time job?
She works with the HSE as liaison officer with Traveller women.

westbound

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 19, 2017, 03:43:28 PM

Handy that she can get 4 months off.

Good luck to her in Oz.

Syferus

Quote from: westbound on October 20, 2017, 11:10:02 AM

Good luck to her in Oz.

FFS! Are we stooping that low that we're taking shots at players for getting time off to do sports when we know the demands we've placed on them at IC?

Hardly the first person to take a sabbatical..

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Syferus on October 20, 2017, 01:16:38 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 20, 2017, 11:10:02 AM

Good luck to her in Oz.

FFS! Are we stooping that low that we're taking shots at players for getting time off to do sports when we know the demands we've placed on them at IC?

Hardly the first person to take a sabbatical..
Easy Syferus! Any more of this and you'll get a reputation for being reasonable!

magpie seanie

I think most people in the HSE can get leave of absence of up to a year. I'm sure Cora's will be more productive than most peoples.