County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2022, 03:24:57 PM
Quote from: Schkite on June 29, 2022, 01:55:46 PM
Surprised Banty walked to be honest, but I'm not displeased at that
Banty hit the wall this year. He couldn't bring Monaghan any further.
It is the same thing in Mayo. New thinking required.
Horan was brought back because he did a decent job the first time. Banty was brought back because....?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on June 29, 2022, 04:29:43 PM

So Antrim and Monaghan are definites for a new manager. Probables are Down and Donegal but still no word from either county. Tyrone is the other one where it wouldn't really surprise me if they step down.

I'll have a puff of whatever you're smoking there, please.  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Schkite

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 29, 2022, 04:40:15 PM
Horan was brought back because he did a decent job the first time. Banty was brought back because....?

Still wondering that ourselves

J70

Quote from: J70 on June 29, 2022, 04:15:20 PM

Add Donegal to that, but no word of anything yet.

So Antrim and Monaghan are definites for a new manager. Probables are Down and Donegal but still no word from either county. Tyrone is the other one where it wouldn't really surprise me if they step down.

I heard Eamonn McGee talking recently about the pool of candidates these days being severely reduced because of the insane demands of the job.

He said he himself was approached to be a selector or something and his wife said no f**king way as their kids are still young and she needs him about.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2022, 05:22:41 PM

I watched Tyrone games this year, there appeared to be very little sideline communication in the Tyrone camp. I got the feeling all was not well between the two managers.
But that is only my observation,  nothing more.

seafoid

Banty wrote a classy farewell

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/0629/1307521-mcenaney-steps-down-as-monaghan-boss/

"The Monaghan players are a very special bunch of men who have been fantastic ambassadors for the people of Monaghan in the past and during my term as manager. I have no doubt that they will continue to represent this great county with pride and distinction into the future.
"Managing Monaghan has been one of the great privileges and honours of my life"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jim Bob

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 29, 2022, 08:12:46 PM

I watched Tyrone games this year, there appeared to be very little sideline communication in the Tyrone camp. I got the feeling all was not well between the two managers.

Know both men. Absolutely nothing in this.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Jim Bob on June 29, 2022, 08:57:42 PM
Quote from: Derryman forever on June 29, 2022, 08:12:46 PM

Know both men. Absolutely nothing in this.

Fair enough.
It was just an observation  of my own.
And have heard nothing at all to reinforces.

Blowitupref

Leitrim county board confirmed tonight that Andy Moran will stay on as their senior manager for another two years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

yellowcard

Whatever else they do, Dooher and Logan will have been a success. However they are both busy men with careers away from GAA and this is bound to impact on their ability to give the job the time that is required at that level. Combine that with the player drop outs and indiscipline of this season and nobody could really blame them for walking away.

As far as Banty is concerned it wouldn't surprise me if he got back on the merry go round somewhere else. Perhaps Mayo or Donegal if it became available.   

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2022, 11:11:10 AM

Whatever else they do, Dooher and Logan will have been a success. However they are both busy men with careers away from GAA and this is bound to impact on their ability to give the job the time that is required at that level. Combine that with the player drop outs and indiscipline of this season and nobody could really blame them for walking away.

Pure idle speculation, nothing more than that: they both knew the demands of team management before taking those reins; the seven squad "defectors"  ;) was down to those individuals, and nothing much management could have done; with the All-Ireland winning U20s coming on stream over the next while they'll not be short of panel options.

All in all, I'd say there's zero chance of them quitting in the foreseeable.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2022, 11:11:10 AM

As far as Banty is concerned it wouldn't surprise me if he got back on the merry go round somewhere else. Perhaps Mayo or Donegal if it became available.

I'd say lads get a bit of burn out if they're going for 2 or 3 years flat out. Maybe the shorter season will help that now and re-calibrate things.

It is a full time job and very time consuming. Surely they couldn't do their main job properly but they seem to get by. Maybe a teacher or businessman could do it but it must be hard. They have a team to manage and a staff of up to 25 to manage off the park. A lot happening.

Farrandeelin

Mayo are waiting until Monday to put in place a commitee of some sort to replace Horan. The new appointment ultimately will have to be ratified by club delegates.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Halfquarter

Maybe , Holmes and Connelly will make a comeback for Mayo.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: thejuice on May 30, 2022, 01:35:02 PM
Any thoughts on who will take on the Meath job next year?

I think we need to look outside the county and get someone who is in tune with current training and S&C standards.

Malachy O'Rourke might be a good option. Eamon Fitzmaurice has an All Ireland to his name as a coach but not sure if he's up to the task that Meath would present.

Perhaps picking a manager in a top club in Dublin like St Vincent's or Kilmacud might be the most realistic option but that's essentially what Andy McEntee was.

I've a suggestion for Meath. Kevin Walsh. He's a regular guest on the Examiner podcast and from listening to that I think he'd be quite interested in a reviving-a-sleeping-giant project.