Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Milltown Row2

Quote from: foxcommander on November 14, 2017, 10:47:29 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 14, 2017, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 14, 2017, 04:37:25 PM
Not surprisingly the teeshock wearing a poppy this year. Good old Fine Gael representing the west brits.

This poppy is specifically to remember Irish soldiers who died in WW1.  Monies raised are used to maintain WW1 memorials.  The "teeshock" made that point as to his intent wearing it.

So as a clarification, do you see commemorating Irish men that died in WW1 as "representing the west brits"?

I ask because James McClean in his admirable letter about his refusal to wear a poppy on his shirt, did write he would have no problem commemorating those that died in WW1 (and even WW2).  So I wondering does your "west brit" brush paint as far as him?

/Jim.

I can't speak for Mr McClean. In my opinion anyone who claims to be irish and thinks about wearing a poppy is a west brit.
Clear enough?

Neil Lennon?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

general_lee

He's just a jealous west brit

Avondhu star

Quote from: general_lee on November 15, 2017, 09:31:39 AM
Like it or not if you are born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland you are a subject of Elizabeth the Second whereas in the Republic you would be a citizen.

Don't be too upset. You are in good company

Rossfan

Have you read the Good Friday Agreement?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 15, 2017, 09:58:03 AM
Like it or not if you are born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland you are a subject of Elizabeth the Second whereas in the Republic you would be a citizen.

No you're not.  Technically I'm both a British and Irish citizen, though in my day to day life I choose to identify as Irish.  Ironically one of the qualifications to be one of the few "British subjects" still around is to be born in the 26 counties before 1949, so your Da or Granda might be a British subject, but very few others are.  The "subject" designation was done away with in 1983 and cannot be passed on.

Ronnie

Quote from: AQMP on November 15, 2017, 11:01:31 AM

No you're not.  Technically I'm both a British and Irish citizen, though in my day to day life I choose to identify as Irish.  Ironically one of the qualifications to be one of the few "British subjects" still around is to be born in the 26 counties before 1949, so your Da or Granda might be a British subject, but very few others are.  The "subject" designation was done away with in 1983 and cannot be passed on unless subsequently altered by the two sovereign nations.

Close this thread and open another called EU citizens watch.

johnneycool

Quote from: Avondhu star on November 14, 2017, 10:16:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2017, 07:32:09 PM
Leo, another lickspittle to the Brits.

Says one of the Queen's subjects

It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish nation.

Where is that written? answers on a postcard...

general_lee

So are you, bono and geldof.

Franko

No you're not.  Technically I'm both a British and Irish citizen, though in my day to day life I choose to identify as Irish.  Ironically one of the qualifications to be one of the few "British subjects" still around is to be born in the 26 counties before 1949, so your Da or Granda might be a British subject, but very few others are.  The "subject" designation was done away with in 1983 and cannot be passed on.

I've that clown on ignore but I'm glad that, on this occasion, the quote function allowed me to see him being made a fool of yet again.   ;D

Avondhu star

Quote from: Franko on November 15, 2017, 01:42:57 PM

I've that clown on ignore but I'm glad that, on this occasion, the quote function allowed me to see him being made a fool of yet again.   ;D
It's good that her Majesty consented to give her subjects that option

Owen Brannigan

Just an aside.

We often hear that we all have the right to wear a poppy or not to wear a poppy without reproach because those that the symbolic flower memorialises fought and died so that we have that right in a free society.  Well I can understand that in WWII given that the allies fought against the fascist forces of Germany, Italy and Japan even though the ally that practically won the war for the other through its superior sacrifice was a communist state not interested in personal freedoms. 

However, to say that those Irish and British who fought and died in WWI were fighting for the freedom as we enjoy today is a bit of a stretch as roughly speaking it was a war of empires, British, German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman, etc. none of whom had the slightest interest in freedoms of the ordinary person to live as he/she saw fit.  It was never a war about freedom to do anything. If the Irish and British as well as those from the Commonwealth countries had never participated in the war to fight against Germany or had accepted an expanded Germany rather than killing millions in fighting for a relatively small piece of land, we probably would be no worse off today and probably WWII would never have occurred.

So, the claim that those who fought and died in WWI did so that we are free to live a a society where the individual is free to decide whether or not to wear a poppy is nonsense?

Milltown Row2

I've only ever looked at the poppy as a charity, other people viewed the poppy as symbol of freedom, like you Owen I'd say more so the second War rather than first but because of the serious loss of life, especially from here during the Somme it's been a bigger push on wearing it!

But for whatever reason here more so than anywhere else it's been viewed as divisive.. possibly because the UVF as in the regiment not the paramilitaries were given the attention and the latter were keen jump on board!

Ignoring it, if it annoys you would have been a better idea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea