Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Lenny does indeed deserve a lot of credit especially for altering his thinking in some key areas. The main one was to keep a larger panel than before and this results in not needing to wrap players up in cotton wool at training. It means players have to work harder for game minutes. Secondly he was much more proactive about getting certain players back in (some came others didnt...I know of at least two Cargin players who decided against it) and this definitely has got a number of supporters back. To facilitate this the sessions run a bit longer, like a double session gym and pitch, but this is only three times a week now instead of four or possibly five last year. That's made a difference too. Definitely things have been lifted a level this year and the results are starting to show that.

2 wins from promotion, that will be target achieved for the year.

BrendanAntrim

In slightly related news at the Dub tonight Our Lady's and St Pats Knock qualified for the McLarnon Cup final, beating St Pauls Dungannon by a point. The school is in Down but at least 6 of the team are St Brigids lads. Great achievement for the school under Frankie Wilson's management.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 03, 2020, 09:55:22 PM
In slightly related news at the Dub tonight Our Lady's and St Pats Knock qualified for the McLarnon Cup final, beating St Pauls Dungannon by a point. The school is in Down but at least 6 of the team are St Brigids lads. Great achievement for the school under Frankie Wilson's management.

A Belfast team all the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/309286
The geography of the school can be a bit confusing for the southern media !

BrendanAntrim

Yes - apologies, got that wrong.

Pjoe

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 03, 2020, 09:28:38 AM
We now seem to have out best players available in both codes. It's been a long time since this has happened.

I was really pleased with both those results at the weekend. Hopefully we can build on them too.

Certainly seems like a strong panel. If we also had a number of players who were on the panel in the past two seasons we could truly say its the best players out there e.g. Mark Sweeney, Fitzy, Patrick McCormick, Ryan Murray, Paddy McAleer.  I know they are all not available for valid reasons - but think how strong the 30 panel would be with those 5 added!

bannside

Agree 100% with that. All quality players up there with the best in the county. Hopefully some of them will be back next year if not before!! Plus definitely a handful of under 20s arnt far from a place in the set up either. Hopefully if we can win these last two games in Div 4 there will be a strong panel available next year to consolidate that momentum.

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 03, 2020, 09:57:30 PM

And if they win and we have a few more Antrim players playing McCrory next year then happy days. With Brigids doing well in Antrim underage and Bredagh and Carryduff likewise in Down it was only a matter of time before a breakthrough was made in Knock (although I appreciate they have many Ards Hurlers so there's a split emphasis)

The U20s narrowly beaten by Tyrone the other day had a number of the Hogan Cup winning Lurgan team playing. Success breeds success and the more we have playing at that level the better

Great week for Antrim, tinged with sadness at a real one that got away v Tyrone U20s on Saturday

This Wicklow game is massive with them going for promotion too

Casements pitch is superb by the way
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

johnnycool

The Gaelfast coaches are never out of the place...  ;)

Gall the way

Quote from: johnnycool on March 04, 2020, 03:48:26 PM

Guessing by your statement they aren't in there? Is it not a Down school? Would Down not bother doing something?

johnnycool

Quote from: Gall the way on March 04, 2020, 10:38:12 PM

Guessing by your statement they aren't in there? Is it not a Down school? Would Down not bother doing something?

It's also a Belfast school and meant to be part of Gaelfast...

but you knew that anyway, didn't you.

Gall the way

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 10:28:02 AM

I know it's a Belfast school, but does that mean Down take a back seat and Antrim sort their clubs and schools in Belfast for them? I'd much rather Gaelfast looked after the Antrim schools and clubs. It was our own county board who secured the money after all.

johnnycool

Quote from: Gall the way on March 05, 2020, 12:47:26 PM

I know it's a Belfast school, but does that mean Down take a back seat and Antrim sort their clubs and schools in Belfast for them? I'd much rather Gaelfast looked after the Antrim schools and clubs. It was our own county board who secured the money after all.

Was it?

Have a wee read and see who co signed it.

Ref Collie Donnelly at its launch....

`This is a direct, hands-on approach which builds from the grass roots up and both  Antrim County Board & Down County Boards are delighted to be running the program and for the support which we have received from the GAA nationally, provincially and indeed from Belfast City Council.

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/gaelfast-launched

Don't get me wrong Antrim CB were the main drivers in this and PD is doing a great job and fair play to him and his team, but reminding them of their initial objectives used to secure said funding does no harm.

Hope to see big Anton back down in the Ards this summer  ;)

Gall the way

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2020, 01:23:18 PM
Quote from: Gall the way on March 05, 2020, 12:47:26 PM

Was it?

Have a wee read and see who co signed it.

Ref Collie Donnelly at its launch....

`This is a direct, hands-on approach which builds from the grass roots up and both  Antrim County Board & Down County Boards are delighted to be running the program and for the support which we have received from the GAA nationally, provincially and indeed from Belfast City Council.

https://antrim.gaa.ie/news/gaelfast-launched

Don't get me wrong Antrim CB were the main drivers in this and PD is doing a great job and fair play to him and his team, but reminding them of their initial objectives used to secure said funding does no harm.

Hope to see big Anton back down in the Ards this summer  ;)

Fair point re the C Donnelly post. I stand corrected, I'd just hate to see resources thinned too much!
Unlucky on the guess though, big man's a good club mate of mine but we're not the same person lol, I'm a fair bit smaller than him and he isn't as good as I was  ;). I'll tell him you were asking for him. 

Belfast GAA man

Gaelfast just seems to be scatter gun - loads of good work but all over the show. while Its clear it is a Belfast and Antrim initiative i was dismayed to here PD in his speech to Croke Park conference, i viewed on gaelfast twitter, talk about Gaelfast training teachers in st marys training college to be gaa coaches in Belfast, Antrim and throughout the north of Ireland - so we are giving the ulster councils a boost now ! Jesus wept