Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 10, 2023, 02:57:18 PM
It doesn't need a criminal conviction, [or indeed even an allegation of criminal conduct], for the county board to take any action deemed reasonable to address behaviour which reflects negatively on the team, board, county or association.

Indeed the weight of evidence for an employer [as I assume Derry Co Board are in this instance] to take action is less than that required for a criminal conviction, i.e. on the balance of the evidence as opposed to beyond reasonable doubt.

I would imagine any employee in a public role, facing allegations such as these, could reasonably expect to face suspension from that role until the allegations are investigated by the employer, and then shown either to be false and the suspension lifted, or subsequently dismissed if they are then proven on balance to have merit.

The fact that the allegations have not been addressed directly to the county board is a complicating factor but given the widespread dissemination of the allegations there is no way they can ignore it.

As a massive Derry fan I would take losing on Sunday without RG on the line rather than winning with him present given the nature and seriousness of these allegations.

Whether they are subsequently disproven is another matter for the future.

They are not an employer but that's beside the point they will run him now anyway.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Cavan19 on May 10, 2023, 02:59:42 PM
It doesn't need a criminal conviction, [or indeed even an allegation of criminal conduct], for the county board to take any action deemed reasonable to address behaviour which reflects negatively on the team, board, county or association.

Indeed the weight of evidence for an employer [as I assume Derry Co Board are in this instance] to take action is less than that required for a criminal conviction, i.e. on the balance of the evidence as opposed to beyond reasonable doubt.

I would imagine any employee in a public role, facing allegations such as these, could reasonably expect to face suspension from that role until the allegations are investigated by the employer, and then shown either to be false and the suspension lifted, or subsequently dismissed if they are then proven on balance to have merit.

The fact that the allegations have not been addressed directly to the county board is a complicating factor but given the widespread dissemination of the allegations there is no way they can ignore it.

As a massive Derry fan I would take losing on Sunday without RG on the line rather than winning with him present given the nature and seriousness of these allegations.

They are not an employer but that's beside the point they will run him now anyway.

Well I'm sure he's not doing the role for free so would say he's employed by Derry as SF Manager 

Cavan19

Quote from: Mourne Red on May 10, 2023, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on May 10, 2023, 02:59:42 PM

Well I'm sure he's not doing the role for free so would say he's employed by Derry as SF Manager

He would be doing it for free yes. But getting lots of expenses....

Wildweasel74

Not that I know any detail of what's posted here, but I think I know who RG was married too. Did hear a rumour long time bck, but found it strange the children were living with him for quite awhile. If they had went to court for custody issues, would this behaviour not been brought up for reasons not to have custody. I not comment really on sthing I don't know anything about. Serious accusations but like a friend of mine who got a non mol against her on allegations which did not have to be proved in court, I wait on what the police/Garda have to say. Other than that, like the rugby trial I say nothing accusation wise on her as surely it's liable. Wheres old David McK to comment on the legal standing here.

Manning18

Quote from: Rudi on May 10, 2023, 01:17:11 PM
Common knowledge in Donegal for a long time. Can remember hearing about it when he was managing Donegal. The people around Killybegs could tale you a few horrible stories. Derry have to stand him down, no other choice. Good luck to the ex wife, life hasn't been easy for her.

I'd heard the same, albiet from people closer to the border. Wasn't that why he left (was ran) from his hometown club?

tbrick18

Lads need to be careful on this.
There have been plenty of incidents of suicide from people falsely accused online without any basis. We don't know if the accusations are true so I'd be extremely wary of pointing the finger of blame.

I'd suggest no-one on a message board or social media is aware of all the facts based on what they saw posted online.

Let due process happen, whatever that process should be.

I for one would expect anyone who has committed the acts described in that post to be jailed for assault. But a social media post and subsequent comments doesn't prove that those acts were committed. Everyone would be better off not posting things which could sway any potential legal proceedings one way or another in the interests of a fair chance of justice for either her or him.

tbrick18

Quote from: Manning18 on May 10, 2023, 03:18:34 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 10, 2023, 01:17:11 PM
Common knowledge in Donegal for a long time. Can remember hearing about it when he was managing Donegal. The people around Killybegs could tale you a few horrible stories. Derry have to stand him down, no other choice. Good luck to the ex wife, life hasn't been easy for her.

I'd heard the same, albiet from people closer to the border. Wasn't that why he left (was ran) from his hometown club?

Not doubting you, but if it was common knowledge why didn't Donegal CB stand him down at that time?

gallsman

Lads, how many different people need to tell you that the actions of the Derry CB have nothing to do with any hypothetical future criminal proceedings.

Stop being daft and telling people they need to watch their backs from a legal perspective if they post their expectations of the Derry CB.

AustinPowers

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 10, 2023, 03:21:33 PM
There have been plenty of incidents of suicide from people falsely accused online without any basis. We don't know if the accusations are true so I'd be extremely wary of pointing the finger of blame.

I'd suggest no-one on a message board or social media is aware of all the facts based on what they saw posted online.

I for one would expect anyone who has committed the acts described in that post to be jailed for assault. But a social media post and subsequent comments doesn't prove that those acts were committed. Everyone would be better off not posting things which could sway any potential legal proceedings one way or another in the interests of a fair chance of justice for either her or him.

Absolutely.  Totally agree

imtommygunn

Quote from: gallsman on May 10, 2023, 03:26:09 PM
Lads, how many different people need to tell you that the actions of the Derry CB have nothing to do with any hypothetical future criminal proceedings.

Stop being daft and telling people they need to watch their backs from a legal perspective if they post their expectations of the Derry CB.

This.

Irrespective this needs investigated and while it's being investigated he has to be stood down. How can he not be?

full moon

Well said.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2023, 03:40:16 PM

This.

Irrespective this needs investigated and while it's being investigated he has to be stood down. How can he not be?
It's suboptimal to have this hanging over the team when Armagh's first Ulster since whenever is in the mix. The players don't deserve it . For this reason he should go

grounded

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 10, 2023, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: grounded on May 10, 2023, 12:20:23 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on May 10, 2023, 11:18:41 AM
Lock the thread Mods!!

Yep, ditto to that.
We'd still need a thread to talk about the match though?

There has been little or no discussion of the match this last few pages.

HiMucker

Quote from: seafoid on May 10, 2023, 03:46:13 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 10, 2023, 03:40:16 PM

This.

It's suboptimal to have this hanging over the team when Armagh's first Ulster since whenever is in the mix. The players don't deserve it . For this reason he should go
Thank you My AI

smelmoth

I think the opening paragraph of your post should ring loud in all our ears.

I still think people (especially Derry fans) will have a view on what the County Board should do at this juncture and I don't see why that shouldn't be discussed here.

Similarly I can't see anybody would have a difficulty with people calling for an investigation.