Kildare vs Monaghan GAAFAISCQFGS G1P1 Sunday July 15 2PM

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, July 09, 2018, 09:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeLadHey

Emmet Bolton predicting a 5-10 point Kildare win on Off the Ball this morning, not short on confidence anyway. I'd say Monaghan are absolutely loving this build up.

Hound

Quote from: Unlaoised on July 10, 2018, 04:21:20 PM
This has the potential to be a cracker.

Monaghan got it hard to shake of a stubborn Laois on Sunday but made it hard for the O'moores to get scores with their intensity in the tackle etc.

Kildare shipped 18 points to Fermanagh all be it when the game was won.

Looking at both games I think Monaghan will have too much for them.

The newbridge or nowhere thing has got the Lillys back on board tho for about 4 years the support had left them now they are fully back on the bandwagon and ready for croker Sunday!
It'll be interesting to see if the bandwagon is back. Hopefully it is. They can be a noisy rowdy bunch  :D
Dinny mentioned they're on a very long Croke Park losing streak, which surprised me a bit (thought they would have beat Meath there last year, but it was indeed played elsewhere).  But Monaghan and Galway's Croke Park record is not stellar either recently.

I was looking again at Kidlare's results from 2017. They obviously had a very good league campaign getting out of Division 2 and I thought they were the equal of Galway and deliberately didn't give the League 2 final 100% as it didn't mean much. They in Leinster then really hammered both Laois and Meath (who both had hammered other teams in the previous round), so they were actually flying.

After losing to the Dubs, then then disappointingly lost to Armagh. Some might have put that down to being disheartened after yet another defeat to the juggernaut, but looking at recent player interviews it seems to have been the opposite. Apart from a few crucial aspects, they actually gained confidence from being competitive for most of the game. But they just took their eye off the ball for the Armagh and were caught on the hop.

We all know there were a number of Div 1 games this year that were just lost narrowly, but clearly it dented confidence, and belief and fight were lacking for the Carlow game. But everything's back on track now, and they look well up to giving the Super 8 a go.

It will be interesting if they commit to Newbridge for Game 2. Playing a "home game" against Mayo (who are so good in Croke Park) in Croke Park would have been madness. But just because it was clearly the right decision to do it for Mayo, doesn't mean it'll be right all the time. They'd be throwing away an advantage in fan numbers. "Home advantage" should be used in whatever way the home team wants. Although the results of this week's games would be crucial to that decision (e.g if Kildare lose and Galway win, then Newbridge might be the right answer, but if it was the opposite then I'm not sure it would), whereas I think now venues are expected to be released today or tomorrow.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2018, 11:04:15 AM
It will be interesting if they commit to Newbridge for Game 2. Playing a "home game" against Mayo (who are so good in Croke Park) in Croke Park would have been madness. But just because it was clearly the right decision to do it for Mayo, doesn't mean it'll be right all the time. They'd be throwing away an advantage in fan numbers. "Home advantage" should be used in whatever way the home team wants. Although the results of this week's games would be crucial to that decision (e.g if Kildare lose and Galway win, then Newbridge might be the right answer, but if it was the opposite then I'm not sure it would), whereas I think now venues are expected to be released today or tomorrow.

If KCB agree to move our home game out of the county they will have a rebellion on their hands and rightly so.

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Farrandeelin

To be honest, despite losing to Kildare in round 3, I think (hope) Kildare fans will come out en masse like they did a few years ago - given the galvanising effect that week had on them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2018, 11:17:48 AM

If KCB agree to move our home game out of the county they will have a rebellion on their hands and rightly so.

That's interesting. If Kildare beat Monghan, you think it would still be best to play Galway in Newbridge with 4,000 tickets for Kildare and 4,000 for Galway? Versus, say Portlaoise which could end up with over 15,000 Kildare supporters and maybe 5 or 6,000 from Galway?

mup

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2018, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 11, 2018, 11:17:48 AM

That's interesting. If Kildare beat Monghan, you think it would still be best to play Galway in Newbridge with 4,000 tickets for Kildare and 4,000 for Galway? Versus, say Portlaoise which could end up with over 15,000 Kildare supporters and maybe 5 or 6,000 from Galway?

The game will be Newbridge without a shadow of a doubt. The correct place for it.

Captain Scarlet

Lads it ended up looking fairly 50/50 to me in Newbridge v Mayo who are one of the best supported teams around so you would imagine we would have a majority v Galway.
Plus it was some buzz around the town and those days were lost for years and all the money that goes with it.

But Monaghan first obviously and I have a feeling they will push us harder than Galway. I have no reason why.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Hound

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 11, 2018, 11:43:44 AM
Lads it ended up looking fairly 50/50 to me in Newbridge v Mayo who are one of the best supported teams around so you would imagine we would have a majority v Galway.
Plus it was some buzz around the town and those days were lost for years and all the money that goes with it.

But Monaghan first obviously and I have a feeling they will push us harder than Galway. I have no reason why.
They'll have a little more time to organise it this time, so I'd imagine all will be distributed to the two county boards (50/50) and there'll be no general sale. Maybe Galway won't take up their full allocation, but I'd say they will.

Monaghan will definitely push Kildare. The Ulstermen are 2 point favourites with the bookies. 

mup

seems like an obvious thing to say but the results against Monaghan will determine our mindset against Galway. You never get anything easy off Monaghan. Some hardy boyo's with no lack of football throughout. Not to mention the audacious talent of Conor McManus. He's an absolute pleasure to watch. IMO the best forward in the country.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Schkite on July 10, 2018, 11:05:49 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2018, 09:33:01 AM
Is anyone giving Monaghan a chance? Everyone in the media seems to be tipping Kildare apart from Dick Clerkin which is odd as Monaghan are favourites with the bookies.

I really haven't a clue who'll win this, could make a case for either team.

From a Monaghan perspective, this build up couldn't be better. It seems like ALL the talk is about Kildare, they're being talked up as semi final dark horses and seem to be the media darling after coming out on top with the Newbridge fiasco and then overcoming Mayo. Meanwhile we haven't been on telly once over the qualifiers so nobody has passed any remarks on us.

Now we haven't really been tested yet in the back door so hard to draw any conclusions from that, and Kildare are back on form so will be more dangerous than a couple of months ago, but I think we're in a good place for this game.

Kildare may well win the match but I agree that its perfectly set up for Monaghan. The Mayo result could well be a turning point for them as they do have a lot of good players but Mayo have been on the ropes in the qualifiers for the last 18 months and it could have ended the week before for them if they'd not scored a fortunate goal. Kildare's record against the top teams is crap, prior to beating Mayo when was the last time they beat anyone of note?

I said this about the other group too but one win might see a team though to the semi's if Kerry win all 3 games whilst Monagahan beat Kildare, Kildare beat Galway then Galway beat Monaghan in week 3.

Hound

Quote from: mup on July 11, 2018, 11:54:35 AM

seems like an obvious thing to say but the results against Monaghan will determine our mindset against Galway. You never get anything easy off Monaghan. Some hardy boyo's with no lack of football throughout. Not to mention the audacious talent of Conor McManus. He's an absolute pleasure to watch. IMO the best forward in the country.
Apparently wasn't considered good enough to make the Monaghan minor team when he was that age! (According to the nordie lad (Conal/Conan?) on the GAA hour).

Schkite

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2018, 12:43:43 PM

Apparently wasn't considered good enough to make the Monaghan minor team when he was that age! (According to the nordie lad (Conal/Conan?) on the GAA hour).

This is true, McManus didn't make the match day panel in 05. Darren Hughes wouldn't have made the team either for that matter only the goalie dropped out at the last minute and Darren filled in as he had a good kick. 2 years later McManus came on in the Ulster senior final against Tyrone, and Darren played a part that year too.

Gael85

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2018, 12:43:43 PM

He started with Monaghan playing at wing back. Some of the man to kick points with right foot from right side of the field.

omagh_gael

From the outside looking in I think people are running away with themselves regarding Kildare. They've improved immeasurably but i still Monaghan will win this by 2-4 points.

Main Street