Laois Intermediate Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 10:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SCFC on July 26, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
Most unfair. All second teams should play each other in a senior reserve championship. Leave the intermediate and junior to first teams.

Silly talk. Not workable in Laois.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Helix.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 26, 2019, 12:39:12 PM
Most unfair. All second teams should play each other in a senior reserve championship. Leave the intermediate and junior to first teams.

Let's chill the beans. It's up to first team clubs to get up to the standards required too which isn't happening either. No doubt senior championship and senior A should have played first.

Keyser Söze

Absolutely championships should run from top down.
A reserve league!
So Camross (possibly the best team in the Intermediate right now and good enough for Senior B) V Colt/Slieve Bloom/Shanahoe/Trumera/Clonaslee/Clonad (all of whom operated in Division 5 of the league, which is really Division 6).

What would happen very quickly is that teams would stop entering second teams to avoid embarrassing hammerings. How that would be progressive I don't know.
Maybe the number 17 needs to be looked at and increased to 18/20? 17 is generous like.

burdizzo

It was 18 until a couple of years ago, wasn't it?

Keyser Söze

I thought it was always 17, but could be wrong. The naming of 15 only until after the league is only in the last 3 seasons I think.
The naming of 17(or 18) must be happening the last 10 years is it?
Does anybody know of other counties who operate this system or is it unique to Laois? It seemed progressive enough when introduced.
In the old days when you could only regrade 5/6 each year teams were reluctant to throw young lads in (even if their second teams were out) as it could have serious repercussions the following year.

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 26, 2019, 12:39:12 PM

Why not? Camross, BK, RE, CB, Harps, maybe one more in senior reserve.
Then a senior B reserve. The second teams of Portlaoise, Ballinakill, Ballyfin, Castletown, Rosenallis, Abbeyleix.
Then a senior C reserve. The second teams of Clonaslee, Mountmellick, Mountrath and maybe the stronger third teams.

Keyser Söze

What makes you think The Harps would want to enter this competition? For example, Camross beat them 3-20 to 0-3 in the Division 2 League. Without them you'd have 4 teams, serious prospects for a competition!
It's a nonsense proposal.
Last 3 Junior winners- Mountmellick, Ballypickas, Slieve Bloom
Last 4 Intermediate winners- Slieve Bloom, Trumera, Rosenallis & Trumera,

Why are you inventing a problem to solve. Second teams fluctuate wildly and generally find their level in Junior A or Intermediate. There is no pandemic of them sweeping the boards trophy wise. Relax.

SpeculativeEffort

Nobody is suggesting a radical overhaul but just that senior grade be played before the lower grades. Some teams in junior or intermediate are 10+ points weaker for the loss of 2/3 players as there isnt the depth to replace them. The 2nd teams could have been 5-10 pts stronger in rd1 as no senior was played. So junior/inter team missing a few v an overloaded (even by 2 or 3) 2nd team are open to getting a hiding. A hiding really kills hurling in some of these clubs who are fighting a numbers battle or sometimes a football battle too. County board didnt seem to care. How does this foster hurling?

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 26, 2019, 11:22:07 PM
What makes you think The Harps would want to enter this competition? For example, Camross beat them 3-20 to 0-3 in the Division 2 League. Without them you'd have 4 teams, serious prospects for a competition!
It's a nonsense proposal.
Last 3 Junior winners- Mountmellick, Ballypickas, Slieve Bloom
Last 4 Intermediate winners- Slieve Bloom, Trumera, Rosenallis & Trumera,

Why are you inventing a problem to solve. Second teams fluctuate wildly and generally find their level in Junior A or Intermediate. There is no pandemic of them sweeping the boards trophy wise. Relax.
Grand then. Sound. Let's leave it as is.

Keyser Söze

SCFC.....you haven't posted a single thing that indicates you have any idea what you are talking about.
3 Junior clubs win the last 3 junior finals
4 intermediate clubs win the last 4 intermediate finals
And your argument against this is "grand then. Sound. Let's leave it as it is".
I mean, if you want to be taken seriously.......

SCFC

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 27, 2019, 12:34:48 AM
SCFC.....you haven't posted a single thing that indicates you have any idea what you are talking about.
3 Junior clubs win the last 3 junior finals
4 intermediate clubs win the last 4 intermediate finals
And your argument against this is "grand then. Sound. Let's leave it as it is".
I mean, if you want to be taken seriously.......
Like I said. Leave it as is. I haven't a clue...

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on July 27, 2019, 12:11:41 AM
Nobody is suggesting a radical overhaul but just that senior grade be played before the lower grades. Some teams in junior or intermediate are 10+ points weaker for the loss of 2/3 players as there isnt the depth to replace them. The 2nd teams could have been 5-10 pts stronger in rd1 as no senior was played. So junior/inter team missing a few v an overloaded (even by 2 or 3) 2nd team are open to getting a hiding. A hiding really kills hurling in some of these clubs who are fighting a numbers battle or sometimes a football battle too. County board didnt seem to care. How does this foster hurling?

Ye. This sensible and I don't think anybody disagrees. The other stuff is nonsense.

burdizzo

With the senior championship gone to a league structure now, it allows the big clubs to keep players down in this grade since they only really need one win to progress in the senior. It sort of skews the intermediate championship in favour of the R/E, B/K, Camross, etc.
In any case, Clonad beat a limited enough Ballypickas in the relegation final tonight.

merman

Camross to win this one and complete their treble (with the camogie) tonight.

I haven't seen too much of this grade but they seem to have a better spread of scorers and some very experienced players in their spine. They've really targeted this championship and I think they'll get over the line.

Neutralobserver

Fair play to the efforts of camross club, players and officials, great club up there who live for their game