Connacht fan critical after Belfast attack

Started by GaillimhIarthair, April 14, 2008, 12:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Connacht fan critical after Belfast attack
Monday, 14 April 2008 12:13

A 43-year-old man is in a critical condition after being severely beaten in an attack in Belfast city centre early on Saturday.

Connacht supporter Paul Newton was in Belfast for the Magnier's league match against Ulster at Ravenhill on Friday evening

The Roscommon man was attacked outside his hotel in Bradbury Place at around 3.30am on Saturday morning and suffered serious head and facial injuries.

Mr Newton, who now lives in Sligo, has been placed on a life support machine in the intensive care unit at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

Close family members are maintaining a bedside vigil.

The PSNI is anxious to speak to two women who may have been in the area when the assault occurred.

AZOffaly

WTF? Are there any details on the context? Was it a drunken row or something? I hope he recovers.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Hopefully he will have a full recovery.

Sandy Row around the corner from Bradbury Place, hope that had nothing to do with it?
Tbc....

screenexile

More than likely did! An absolute shower of scumbags around there only to happy to prey on someone from down south. You're best to get out of there by 2 oclock! I was there myself Fri nite/Sat morn getting a feed in Libertys but didn't hang around too long as I've enough experience of the place from Uni to know to get out as soon as your feed is finished.

A very sad story and I hope the guy can recover... hardly a great advert for a night out in Belfast!

AZOffaly

Lads, we shouldn't be speculating here. Who knows what happened? That's why I asked for context. I don't want this to degenerate into another one of them 'themmuns and ussuns' threads.

Ryano

Paul is the brother of former Roscommon senior footballers John and Des Newton. He is a former footballer himself with his club in Roscommon, Shannon Gaels and also a regular contributor on the Roscommon fan's site Stolensheep and probably on this site too.

Absolutely shocking news, prayers and thoughts are with him and his family for a full recovery.

J70

Des was an important player for Donegal as well for a few years back in the 80s.

Hope the lad recovers.

Owenmoresider

Know Paul myself, is/was chair of the St. Mary's club in town and has been a very difficult opponent to handle in the local club scene. Hope he recovers.

Minder

I would say the southern accent didnt help him but in Bradbury Place it doesent really matter what side of the house you are on when it comes to getting a booting. I remember ringing ValueCab from down there and they asked where i was, when i told them mysteriously all the cabs were booked.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

SammyG

Shocking news, hope he makes a full recovery and the ba$tards responsible are caught.

magpie seanie

Would be very familiar with Paul from club football and even at 43 he is some handful at FF. I hope he makes a fully recovery.

imtommygunn

That area has developed into an awful dangerous hole late at night.

You could speculate about secterianism etc etc but based on what I've seen down there good chance it's more than likely just scumbags.

The number of attacks late at night on a saturday night in belfast has got ridiculous.  Every sunday you stick the radio on and all you hear is about assaults.

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Rossfan

Absolutely awful.
I know some of the Newton's and am devestated by this.
Please Lord that he may recover.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stew

Quote from: Rossfan on April 14, 2008, 07:56:20 PM
Absolutely awful.
I know some of the Newton's and am devestated by this.
Please Lord that he may recover.

Couldnt agree more. Evil is evil no matter what foot they claim to kick with. All that matters here at this point is that the poor man recovers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 14, 2008, 05:47:27 PM
That area has developed into an awful dangerous hole late at night.You could speculate about secterianism etc etc but based on what I've seen down there good chance it's more than likely just scumbags.

The number of attacks late at night on a saturday night in belfast has got ridiculous.  Every sunday you stick the radio on and all you hear is about assaults.

Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

Always was. That KFC at the corner was always a death wish for anyone whose accent wasn't "Village".... The fact is that no matter how much the powers that be try to portray Belfast as a great place need to wise up. This is - always has been - a sick town. Too many thugs, hardmen, spides, animals who wouldn't think twice about sticking a bottle in yer gub.
Really need a very big gas chamber built and fill it full of 'baseball hats'... that might help.. No sympathy for people who would attack a visitor but there are no morals among the scum...