Davy Byrne

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 08, 2015, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Well for now, no one even knows that verbals WERE a part of the problem. That is all makey-uppy conjecture on the part of certain posters.

What we DO know, is that a lad spent two nights in hospital, with a broken jaw, a broken nose and and fractured eye socket. What about the effect of those on ANY ONE, never mind just a vulnerable person, with mental health issues?

Wildweasel74

Verbals, somebody said some thing to you on a  Saturday night out and you give him a thumping like Byrne seems to have got, that damage cant be done by 1 punch, you be arrested and charged with assault. So i cant see how you can defend a player (I unlike some don't know who he is) who carried out this scale of attack, I played 15yrs, seen plenty of fights in the early 90`s but sure as hell never seen seen damage like this, and in a friendly? seriously.

Throw ball

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 09, 2015, 02:36:41 AM
Verbals, somebody said some thing to you on a  Saturday night out and you give him a thumping like Byrne seems to have got, that damage cant be done by 1 punch, you be arrested and charged with assault. So i cant see how you can defend a player (I unlike some don't know who he is) who carried out this scale of attack, I played 15yrs, seen plenty of fights in the early 90`s but sure as hell never seen seen damage like this, and in a friendly? seriously.

I have yet to see anyone defend the actions of the player who allegedly threw the punch. For the record I do not know the name either. All I was saying is that verbals are wrong and sometimes dangerous. Unlike some I do not know what happened either. For all I know two people may have thrown punches and one punch was stronger than the other. I would say it is unlikely that anyone on this forum saw what happened.

For the avoidance of doubt I am not accusing the Dublin player of anything. I am just pointing out that in this case speculation is irrelevant as people do not know what happened and in all cases the GAA should try and counter verbals as well as physical violence.

Applesisapples

It would be helpful in the midst of all this idle gossip if the two County Boards issued a statement clarifying events. This would ensure that fault on either side lies exactly where it should. It seems strange given the injuries that Dublin are saying nothing and the GAA are not taking action.

Teo Lurley

Silence from the Dublin county board, why is this? It's not like them. Maybe it's because the story the herald tried to push originally was inaccurate?

Shamrock Shore

The silence is deafening here.

You'd swear the game was played on Mars.

A usually good source of mine, well connected to rakes of sports journalists, claims nobody has a clue what or what didn't happen.

Strange.

Lamha suas who remembers John Finn's jaw that broke itself as well.

macdanger2

Was that the '85 semi-final??

Old yeller

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 09, 2015, 09:31:55 AM
It would be helpful in the midst of all this idle gossip if the two County Boards issued a statement clarifying events. This would ensure that fault on either side lies exactly where it should. It seems strange given the injuries that Dublin are saying nothing and the GAA are not taking action.
I doubt county boards are going to start issuing statements to please lads on message boards!

Rossfan

The sweep it under the carpet mentality still prevails in GAAworld it seems.
Not a great way of encouraging people from non Traditional GAA households to have their children playing Gaelic Games.
The Catholic Church had a similar policy for decades.........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Teo Lurley

The question is why the Dublin county board are staying silent? I think we can all reach our conclusions on that.

Jinxy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 09, 2015, 10:52:10 AM
The silence is deafening here.

You'd swear the game was played on Mars.

A usually good source of mine, well connected to rakes of sports journalists, claims nobody has a clue what or what didn't happen.

Strange.

Lamha suas who remembers John Finn's jaw that broke itself as well.

Didn't something similar happen Finbar Cullen when Offaly were playing the Dubs in a challenge game?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rosnarun

Finbarr cullen's was at a league game , a Few teeth knocked out. I was at the game never know anything was up till the all the offaly lads players and mentors did a sweep of the Park looking for the teeth.
dont think any action was taken
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 09, 2015, 11:12:21 AM
Was that the '85 semi-final??

Yip. The drawn match.

We all know who did it too.

The attempted mitigation of the shocking damage done to Byrne by arguing about verbals is offensive. If someone says something that crosses the line, then go through the proper channels. If someone does the damage that happened Byre, before the throw-in ffs, he should be handed over to the cops and banned for a decade. He has no place in our games.

sc**bag. Oops, that might be considered verbals.
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

This thread is a joke and some normally sensible posters are letting themselves down.

Why would either county board make a statement? Because an internet forum demands it?

Maybe there's silence because nobody knows what happened for sure. Very recently there was a case of a county making accusations in the media and releasing statements that ended up with everyone outside the high court in Belfast.

1 There was a challenge match
2 Some players got injured
3 One player's injuries and a host of non facts were speculated upon in a Dublin newspaper.
4 The possible disciplinary outcomes have also been speculated upon in other media outlets

1 & 2 definitely occurred
3 & 4 are not substantiated anywhere officially that would encourage me to repeat them over the course of normal conversation

From that point all and sundry have propagated every theory imaginable on this and other discussion forums calling into question, in no particular order, the integrity of: Dublin County Board, Armagh County Board, Jim Gavin, Kieran McGeeney, a specific Armagh player (who wasn't even playing), all Dublin Players, all Armagh players, the referee and the GAA as an organisation.

yellowcard

Quote from: Teo Lurley on July 09, 2015, 11:26:07 AM
The question is why the Dublin county board are staying silent? I think we can all reach our conclusions on that.

Exactly.