County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 30, 2022, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2022, 11:11:10 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2022, 05:22:41 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 29, 2022, 04:29:43 PM

So Antrim and Monaghan are definites for a new manager. Probables are Down and Donegal but still no word from either county. Tyrone is the other one where it wouldn't really surprise me if they step down.

I'll have a puff of whatever you're smoking there, please.  :P

Whatever else they do, Dooher and Logan will have been a success. However they are both busy men with careers away from GAA and this is bound to impact on their ability to give the job the time that is required at that level. Combine that with the player drop outs and indiscipline of this season and nobody could really blame them for walking away.

Pure idle speculation, nothing more than that: they both knew the demands of team management before taking those reins; the seven squad "defectors"  ;) was down to those individuals, and nothing much management could have done; with the All-Ireland winning U20s coming on stream over the next while they'll not be short of panel options.

All in all, I'd say there's zero chance of them quitting in the foreseeable.
TBH Fear I can't believe all 7 went for purely individual reasons. Maybe 1,2 or even 3. But 7 from an AI winning side? I think there's more to it. But just my opinion.

Edit* I should also say that it's not a direct dig at the management team. It's a tough position and very difficult to keep everyone happy all of the time.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

God14

Scratch the surface on these defections, its really a non story. At least 4 of the defections were entirely expected and plausible.
HP McGeary – saw limited game time in 2021. Didn't make the 26 on AI final day.  Some younger lads like Cormac Munroe & Conor Shields had also overtaken him on the perceived ladder. Also think he is living in Co Down now.
Ronan O'Neill - – saw limited game time in 2021. Didn't make the 26 on AI final day. Saw forwards like McShane & D Canavan spring off the bench to massive effect. Self evaluated the situation & realized he wouldn't have seen much game time in 2022. Too many better players ahead of him
Michael Cassidy – dogged by injuries. Hasn't played for his club Ardboe in 18+ months. Would not have seen 1 minute of action in 2022 had he stayed on the panel.
Lee Brennan – didn't see any championship action in 2021. Self evaluated the situation & realized he wouldn't have seen much game time in 2022 if he stuck around. Too many better options ahead of him
The 3 id have been disappointed with would be
Tiernan McCann – solderied for a long time. Got his AI medal. Clearly frustrated at not being an automatic starter. Well documented on recent podcast with Wooly.
Mark Bradley – clearly frustrated at not being automatic starter. Still has loads to offer.
Paul Donaghy – an enigma. Given plenty of opportunities in 2022 & knew he hadn't taken them. Still one for the future, but lots to improve on his game. He is short of the required standard at the present time
Those 3 perhaps wouldn't have been starters, but they could have been serious options from the bench, and pushed the starting 15 on a hell of a lot more in training
Is 3 defections a reason to suspect management? Dooher & Logan have won all Irelands at U21 and Senior. They've had a poor year, but id still argue they are at least equal to any other management team in Ireland.

trueblue1234

I think we struggled to keep the fringe players as happy as previous years. And when suspensions/ injuries came we were looking at a very light subs bench. McCann, Bradley and Brennan are 3 that I think if managed right should have been back out. Potentially Donaghy as well.
As I said it's impossible to say for sure, perhaps these players might have jumped ship anyway. But for me it's too many at the one time to be a coincidence. IMO.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

CK_Redhand

Bradley, Brennan and Ronan O'Neill had plenty of chances. None had the consistency of McCurry who had his best season last year. To be honest I wasn't surprised or disappointed any of these left.

Agree on TMcCann and PDonaghy, both had something more to offer.

Anyways, I don't think it says much about management.  Next year we'll know better if there is a bounce back or a further slide.

Farrandeelin

Dessie Farrell to be added to the scrapheap I'm sure.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 10, 2022, 05:52:18 PM

Dessie might survive given the lack of other obvious candidates given he is such a political animal.

If I had to guess I would say he will get a 2 year term.

seafoid

I think he has the same job as Shane O'Neill had with the Galway hurlers. Blend in younger players for 2 or 3 years while the team transitions and then hand over to someone who will win titles.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jim Bob

Some turnaround from the league though.

Blowitupref

Doubtful if Dessie Farrell will be Dublin manager again next year. Won the behind closed doors AI in his first year yet since then relegated to Div 2 and not reaching the All Ireland final the last two years and of course he may step aside himself
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Gael85

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2022, 11:13:37 PM
Doubtful if Dessie Farrell will be Dublin manager again next year. Won the behind closed doors AI in his first year yet since then relegated to Div 2 and not reaching the All Ireland final the last two years and of course he may step aside himself

Dessie will get another year or two. It rebuild job. We lost 16 of 2019 panel. Cooper, McCarthy, Mick Fitz and Rock haven't long left. Fenton and Kilkenny past their peak now. We had two u20 teams that lost in 2019 and 2020. About 16 players from them groups played OBC and little big of league. I expect to see a lot of them playing in D2 next year.

FermGael

Andy McEntee new Antrim manager by all accounts
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Blowitupref

Quote from: Gael85 on July 11, 2022, 11:36:38 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2022, 11:13:37 PM

Dessie will get another year or two. It rebuild job. We lost 16 of 2019 panel. Cooper, McCarthy, Mick Fitz and Rock haven't long left. Fenton and Kilkenny past their peak now. We had two u20 teams that lost in 2019 and 2020. About 16 players from them groups played OBC and little big of league. I expect to see a lot of them playing in D2 next year.

Of the 15 that started the 2019 replay those no longer there are Cluxton,McCaffrey,Paul Mannion. Obviously Cluxton is done at his age now but perhaps could have got another year or two out of him while would the other two make themselves available under another manager or have simply had enough of county football and the commitment level Dublin demand?

What has become weaker from that match 3 years ago is the bench, back then Diarmuid Connolly,, Philly McMahon, Cian O'Sullivan,Kevin McManamon, Michael Darragh MacAuley to bring on. Yesterday those type of options wasn't there.

Its going to be a full rebuild now for Dublin over the next 2 to 3 years and is Dessie Farrell the right man for that task?   of two u20 teams that lost AI finals in 2019 and 2020 at least 3 or 4 of them should be established championship starters now but i think (open to correction) only Lee Gannon is.

Galway lost the U21 All Ireland final to Dublin by a bit to spare in 2017 yet Galway have got any many senior players out of that U21 team a suggestion that Dublin aren't nurturing and developing their underage talent as good as they use to.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

thejuice

Quote from: FermGael on July 11, 2022, 01:56:01 PM

Best of luck to Andy. Think he'll do well though he was all set to give up management only a few weeks ago.

Talks of an Eamon Fitzmaurice/Bernard Flynn management team in Meath but only rumours at the minute.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

yellowcard

The merry go round continues. Next up Banty for Dublin, Mickey Moran for Down, John Maughan for Monaghan and Big Sam for Meath.

pbat

Quote from: thejuice on July 11, 2022, 03:46:07 PM

Best of luck to Andy. Think he'll do well though he was all set to give up management only a few weeks ago.

Talks of an Eamon Fitzmaurice/Bernard Flynn management team in Meath but only rumours at the minute.

Does Eamon Fitz still teach in Dingle?