Mayo v Monaghan Saturday, February 04, 2017

Started by From the Bunker, January 30, 2017, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: Beffs on February 01, 2017, 05:22:06 PM
No thanks. I'll be on the terrace, with my brolly. It is my preferred spot. As I have already said. I'll leave the stand to the blazers and the alickadoos.

If you're this sensitive about the weather, remind me never to talk to you about actual football. Have you considered therapy?

Hope that pr*ck is nowhere near me

Farrandeelin

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 01, 2017, 11:56:03 PM

Quote from: Beffs on February 01, 2017, 05:22:06 PM
No thanks. I'll be on the terrace, with my brolly. It is my preferred spot. As I have already said. I'll leave the stand to the blazers and the alickadoos.

If you're this sensitive about the weather, remind me never to talk to you about actual football. Have you considered therapy?

Hope that pr*ck is nowhere near me

Just sit in the stand! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

For Monaghan, the first game out is as good a time as any to play Mayo. Might even be the best time to play Mayo, in an away fixture that most Monaghan folk would usually at least regard as a very tough game to win. Winning would be great, but losing doesn't alter the div 1 survival plan by much.

Btw, if Beffs is bringing brolly to the game, just keep him on a very tight leash.

Avondhu star

Quote from: moysider on January 30, 2017, 11:54:53 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2017, 05:05:24 PM
Well Aido is out with an ankle injury from Basketball.

Lee will be devoting his time to Westport for the moment.

Mayo are 4/9 Monaghan 9/4 and Draw 15/2.

Hard to know if Mayo will be happy to just retain League status or have a go at winning.

Dublin are so strong, it's hard to see Mayo putting the push on to win a League title they would get no credit for.

pity Aido wasn't told not to kick the basketball.

Hope he was happy with the point guard or maybe there was another lad that could do better
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan have a reasonable chance to get something from this game. It may not impact the survival plan dramatically but win or take something from it and the attitude/confidence change would be significant - in my opinion..

Malachy O'Rourke is a conservative manager so I expect to see the tried and tested lined out. A few of the younger lads have put their hand up, most notably Conor McCarthy and Barry McGinn (to a lesser degree), but I've a feeling he'll not experiment too much..

The two things I would like to see are 1) less of the lateral side-to-side play in an around the D area when attacking and 2) a reoccurrence of the intensity shown in 2013.. The lateral play was developed to draw out or unpick the blanket defence (and worked best against a congested Donegal defence in the 2015 USFC final) but teams are aware of it now; it kills the momentum of the attack. We were flat last year, and lacked the intensity and bite that Monaghan football teams traditionally possessed in the past.

We've a decent panel now and it really is up to the players to make it happen, in my opinion. And sure what better place to kickstart that process than McHale Park (with its sub-standard terraces/stands/umbrella designated areas) this weekend..

magpie seanie

Why are you going around in a walking boot if you're going to be back in a week or two? Ah, that's right.....there were journalists/photographers there.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 03, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
Why are you going around in a walking boot if you're going to be back in a week or two? Ah, that's right.....there were journalists/photographers there.

Be good for kicking an off duty Guard lying on the ground in the head though!

maigheo

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 03, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
And you got your medical degree from where?

Farrandeelin

I see Monaghan have named their team. Can't copy it from mayogaablog but it seems there are 10 starters from last year's league game between the two sides.

Main Street

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 03, 2017, 12:35:45 PM
I see Monaghan have named their team. Can't copy it from mayogaablog but it seems there are 10 starters from last year's league game between the two sides.
On monaghangaa.ie , it's more accurately called the Monaghan Panel v Mayo
http://www.monaghangaa.ie/2017/02/monaghan-panel-v-mayo-sat-4th-february/

Basically Malachy will start the best and fittest 15 available at this present time. No luxury of being able to mollycoddle a top player who has slightly tweaked a tendon, with a therapeutic ski boot for a month or so.

Schkite

Tough opener for Monaghan, but as others say it's as good a time as any to play Mayo and probably the best possible time to get some points off them. Good Monaghan team named, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a late change or two.

The result here won't decide our league fate, its not a game we'd have looked at a must win in order to survive, but it would definitely be a big bonus if we got something from it.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Schkite on February 03, 2017, 02:12:26 PM
Tough opener for Monaghan, but as others say it's as good a time as any to play Mayo and probably the best possible time to get some points off them. Good Monaghan team named, but wouldn't be surprised if there's a late change or two.

The result here won't decide our league fate, its not a game we'd have looked at a must win in order to survive, but it would definitely be a big bonus if we got something from it.

With Ger Caff, Keane, Barrett and Brendan Harrison out for us, McCarthy and McManus could do serious damage inside provided Monaghan get enough ball into them.
I expect Mayo to play with at least one, maybe tow deep sweepers to try a protect a weak enough full back line.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Crete Boom on February 03, 2017, 02:50:10 PM

With Ger Caff, Keane, Barrett and Brendan Harrison out for us, McCarthy and McManus could do serious damage inside provided Monaghan get enough ball into them.
I expect Mayo to play with at least one, maybe tow deep sweepers to try a protect a weak enough full back line.

Barrett seems to be terminally injured for us.

GrandMasterFlash

Let it in long, ta f00k, lads..  ;)

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 03, 2017, 05:15:31 PM

Barrett seems to be terminally injured for us.

Jesus I hope it's not that bad.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."