Mayo v Monaghan Saturday, February 04, 2017

Started by From the Bunker, January 30, 2017, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on February 04, 2017, 08:40:39 PM
If McManus was from mayo they wouldn't be worrying about curses. Monaghan bullied mayo and really wanted that win. Serious aggression. I can see there being 5/6 sent off when Cavan and Monaghan play!
Good to hear that Monaghan are rediscovering their inner Banty.

Syferus

Could be three Connacht teams in D2 next year at this rate.

Farrandeelin

Lost by 2, but for Clarke it probably would be 12...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

For a national league match, Monaghan were like men possessed tonight. Serious physicality and that was what ultimately won them the game. Lots of bodies behind the ball and breaking at pace when they turned it over. How you maintain that level of fitness from so early in the season might be another matter nut they are clearly re energised from last season and on that basis can't be discounted in Ulster with players like Wylie, Walsh, Hughes and McManus.

twohands!!!

Mayo's scorers

Cillian O'Connor   7   5 frees
Evan Regan   2   1 free
Fergal Boland   1   
Kevin McLoughlin    1   
Alan Freeman   1   

No Mayo play bar Cillian O'Connor scored in the 2nd half.

rodney trotter

Monaghan got hammered in Castlebar 2 years ago and lost their discipline. They were probably eager to do better tonight.
Mayo don't generally do well in league. They just about stayed up last year.

Good win all the same for Monaghan. Though both teams missing players.

macdanger2

Cold auld night in Castlebar. Well deserved win for monaghan, should have been more in truth. Mayo were very lethargic for long periods.

Clarke & Coen best for Mayo. Mcloughlin decent too, showed well even if he didn't always make best use of it. COC decent in the second half. Typical freeman performance, glimpses of brilliance followed by anonymity.

Chances of making the final looking slim now; if we lose next week, we're headed for the relegation battle.

From the Bunker

A tough evening at the office. Monaghan it can be said did not come to make up the numbers. They brought every trick in the book and it worked a treat. Conor Lane (referee) let the game flow, often into mayhem. His favourite way to deal with things tonight was to either hop the ball or double yellow players involved in a scuffle. I don't know how many frees he brought in nearer for Cillian O'Connor? He was a bit of a disaster from a Mayo perspective. But if you are going to blame him for the result you are looking in the wrong direction.

There will be a lot of sore bodies on sides tomorrow morning. Anyway, full credit to Monaghan, they had a plan and they executed it to perfection. They had a wobbly period in the second quarter where they just kicked wide after wide of possession. But the early goal and a point in the second half set them up perfectly for to execute their game plan. Mayo's newcomers (for want of a better name) did ok. Kirby is not shy to show for the ball. Even short ones from frees. His temperament had gone for the Yellow card offence and Management wisely called him aside shortly after. Boland got a great opening score and did pretty well after. Made a few naive plays. But he's a young lad and a long road to travel yet. Newcombe did well also. Had a few moments of magic intertwined with moments of madness. 

Heard a lot of doom and gloom leaving McHale Park. Perspective, again is key. Mayo have been shocking in the league since their last decent League campaign of 2010. Horan seemed to treat it with disdain. Trying if he could not to qualify for the knockout stages. 

mrhardyannual

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 04, 2017, 10:16:16 PM
Cold auld night in Castlebar. Well deserved win for monaghan, should have been more in truth. Mayo were very lethargic for long periods.

Clarke & Coen best for Mayo. Mcloughlin decent too, showed well even if he didn't always make best use of it. COC decent in the second half. Typical freeman performance, glimpses of brilliance followed by anonymity.

Chances of making the final looking slim now; if we lose next week, we're headed for the relegation battle.
Don't think we were at the same game. I can't for the life of me see how Coen had a good game.We were ponderous and lacked leadership. O Connor's decision making was desperate and he was lucky not to get a red card for petulant attack on Monaghan defender who robbed him fairly. However it's only Feb. No panic.

macdanger2

Yeah, COCs clip on the corner back was petulant but it was hardly an attack ffs  ::) Deserved yellow card but nothing more

I thought Coen was one of the few who showed leadership

cornetto

All county teams could do with this guy!!excellent again tonight.

https://youtu.be/M3oAcoea8_8

MayoBuck

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 05, 2017, 12:46:34 AM
Yeah, COCs clip on the corner back was petulant but it was hardly an attack ffs  ::) Deserved yellow card but nothing more

I thought Coen was one of the few who showed leadership

Coen was probably our second best back, after Newcombe. I thought Coen's distribution was good as well, he provided the assist for a couple of our scores.

Farrandeelin

Same old deficiencies up front. Cillian O'Connor seemed to be all over the pitch when he should have been inside. As for the rest of the forwards, Doherty - how many chances does one need? Offered nothing imo. Willing to give Boland benefit of the doubt seeing as it was my first time seeing him play. Did well enough but kicked a few bad wides also. McLoughlin solid enough as usual. Regan, I'm getting a bit worried about. Failing to win 50/50 ball, taking wrong decisions at times also. Freeman, Lord Jesus he's frustrating, scored a good point in the 1st half then I thought, great he's going to have a good game. That was all he scored though.

Midfield- Syferus despite what everyone here thinks of him got it spot on. FFS Vaughan is not a midfielder, never was and never will be. Plugging holes comes to mind when he's played there. Gave away a lot of ball and had one lazy attempt at a shot in the first half. Kirby was poor, not good enough there on the night at all. Don't know why Parsons didn't stsrt at all.

As for our defence, Newcombe and Durcan played well and didn't do anything overly stupid. Was impressed with Newcombe as he charged forward now and again. Good attitude anyway despite me worrying about him beforehand. Boyle was Boyle, but he's wasted on the wing I think. Coen had a solid game and he could be a good leader for us in a couple of years. Clarke was brilliant again. Saved our bacon time again, but that says it all when the keeper is your best player.

As for the subs Andy still has the cuteness, despite hitting that free to Boyle I think it was near the end. Conor O'Shea can't seem to run forward at all. Parsons should have started. Diarmuid O'Connor was brought on too late but he had a hamstring problem I believe.

Fair play to Monaghan. Stuck at it and deserved it, hope they stay up too - which I believe Mayo are battling to do once again. As for Mayo people blaming the ref, cop on to yourselves, can't have it all. Our indecision and lack of good forward play cost us. Up Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Typical slow start to the league from Mayo. Wouldn't be getting too worked up about it. The biggest negative for me is that none of the lads who really needed to shine did so.
For the new lads, you can give them some leeway but the likes of Freeman just isn't going to be dependable enough, I don't think it's worth trying any more TBH
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

manfromdelmonte

Don't know how O'Connor keeps getting away with it
mouthing to referees and buying frees