Mayo v Monaghan Saturday, February 04, 2017

Started by From the Bunker, January 30, 2017, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2017, 09:29:02 AM
Don't know how O'Connor keeps getting away with it
mouthing to referees and buying frees

In fairness the modern forward has a lot to contend with. Double marked, blanked defences and special attention if you are a Key forward. What do you want him to do? Say nothing and continue to be abused? Only fools don't highlight to the referee if they are being fouled. If the referee is up to the job he can do all the mouthing he wants to do and it will make no difference.

Avondhu star

How did the old kick outs go for Mayo today? I understand that they caused a lot of problems last year
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

From the Bunker

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 05, 2017, 08:12:15 PM
How did the old kick outs go for Mayo today? I understand that they caused a lot of problems last year

Mayo weren't playing today? ;) :P

Main Street

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 03, 2017, 11:02:02 AM
The two things I would like to see are
1) less of the lateral side-to-side play in an around the D area when attacking
and 2) a reoccurrence of the intensity shown in 2013.. The lateral play was developed to draw out or unpick the blanket defence (and worked best against a congested Donegal defence in the 2015 USFC final) but teams are aware of it now; it kills the momentum of the attack. We were flat last year, and lacked the intensity and bite that Monaghan football teams traditionally possessed in the past.

Though i haven't seen the full game yet, will do so on monday on eirsport. I think both those points you mentioned  were addressed. The attacks were fast and direct and game intensity got a 7/10.

One odd event here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RDlal9VDA
Darren Hughes tangling with his counterpart,  a posee of (cowardly) mayomen arrive, then they all stop their antics on the spot to gander at the huge floating free kick by Rory Beggan(?) :D

Did it go over?

MayoBuck

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2017, 10:07:48 PM
and 2) a reoccurrence of the intensity shown in 2013.. The lateral play was developed to draw out or unpick the blanket defence (and worked best against a congested Donegal defence in the 2015 USFC final) but teams are aware of it now; it kills the momentum of the attack. We were flat last year, and lacked the intensity and bite that Monaghan football teams traditionally possessed in the past.

Though i haven't seen the full game yet, will do so on monday on eirsport. I think both those points you mentioned  were addressed. The attacks were fast and direct and game intensity got a 7/10.

Darren Hughes tangling with his counterpart,  a posee of (cowardly) mayomen arrive, then they all stop their antics on the spot to gander at the huge floating free kick by Rory Beggan(?) :D

Did it go over?

No. Beggan clipped the free short to McManus, who hit it well wide.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: MayoBuck on February 05, 2017, 10:35:34 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2017, 10:07:48 PM

Did it go over?

No. Beggan clipped the free short to McManus, who hit it well wide.

The free was re-taken though, by Beggan (?), who missed it if I recall correctly.. It was a strange event alright, I thought the ref was just standing back to let the melee develop.. Hughes stood his ground in any case, as unsavoury as it may have seemed..