Tyrone v Roscommon - Sunday 5th Feb 2017 2pm in Omagh

Started by Fuzzman, January 27, 2017, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Tyrone welcome Roscommon to Healy park for the first time in...
I can't remember when they were last there. When did the two teams last meet in the league?

Roscommon finished third last year in their first year back in Div 1 although they suffered a heavy defeat to Kerry in the semifinals. Roscommon lost their first game at home to Monaghan but went on to surprise both Cork and Kerry away before beating Down and Donegal.

This year there won't be any semifinals as only the top two will play off for the title.
Tyrone will be hopeful of getting to such a final having been beaten by the Dubs in the league final in 2013 by one point.

Tyrone could easily underestimate the Rossies as they might have one eye on the 2nd round match away to Dublin as a more glamorous affair. Kevin McStay's men face Galway in the FBD Final this Sunday and will use the match against the Connacht champions as a good challenge before the tough trip to Omagh.

Tyrone themselves are also in the pre season McKenna cup final against old rivals Derry who they meet later in the first round of the Ulster championship.
Tyrone have quite a settled team the last year or so but there is still a huge question mark over the free taking duties with neither Ronan O'Neill or goalkeeper Niall Morgan showing any consistency.
Mickey Harte continues to bring some of the U21 players into his starting teams with Hampsey, Munroe and Lee Brennan all well placed to make the breakthrough this year.
Sean Cavanagh, Justin and Joe McMahon have all signed up for another year. It's been 13 years since Tyrone last won the Div 1 National league and many would see winning it this year as a big step in the right direction. 

seafoid

What sort of fresh sledging material will the Rossies bring for the man from Dromore?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Rosconmon just want to play football, which makes this a bad matchup for us.

Brapbrap

Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2017, 02:11:06 PM

Hopefully ye get a right good trimming!

Syferus

seafoid

Ros have had a good few stalwarts retiring recently and it's not easy beating Tyrone but I am sure they will give it a lash
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

oliverkelly

Quote from: seafoid on January 27, 2017, 02:21:12 PM
Ros have had a good few stalwarts retiring recently and it's not easy beating Tyrone but I am sure they will give it a lash

Yeah we are pretty much back to square one. Only 4 lads on panel over 26 years of age(McDermott,Higgins,Fintan Cregg and Devanney). So very young squad and getting a trimming of Tyrone would be a nightmare. Hopefully we put in a decent performance.

Cunny Funt

Part of playing football is having a decent defensive system in place. Roscommon are the only one of the 8 division one teams that don't.  #daft.

skeog

Rossfan

I recall us batin these hoors back in 2003 in the Hyde.
I think our last time in Tyrone we got an awful batin in 2002.
Hard to see anything else here.
Any tips for good or safe places to park th'oul Massey Ferguson?
Any black spots to be avoided?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 27, 2017, 02:30:00 PM
Part of playing football is having a decent defensive system in place. Roscommon are the only one of the 8 division one teams that don't.  #daft.

Who needs defence when you look so good going forward?

#notontwitter

No wides

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2017, 02:33:59 PM

Sure you are an expert on the North you should know all the places, make sure when standing beside some oul boy from Coalisland you tell him how PR works, we will get this united ireland yet.   ;D ;D

Fuzzman

Was the Connacht final last year not quite defensive?

Tyrone 3.20 v Roscommon 0.14 was the score in 2002 Rossfan.
In 2003 Ross and Dublin were the only 2 teams to beat Tyrone that year, both times by one point.

Plenty of safe parking in around Silver Birches hotel if you're up 30 mins before throw in. Bit slow getting out the road again though unless you go for a pint afterwards.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 27, 2017, 02:44:04 PM
Was the Connacht final last year not quite defensive?

No it was a game of hold possession hand ball played in the usual heavy rain and high winds of Salthill.

red hander

Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2017, 02:33:59 PM

Was at that game. Referee was wearing a red nose and and big pointy shoes, and his yellow, blue and green car fell apart when he opened the door