Smallest club or clubs in each county

Started by SCFC, January 21, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Just wondering what the smallest club or club in each of the counties is.

In my own Laois, we'd have a few very small clubs who wouldn't even have half a parish to pick from such as Kilcavan, Kyle and Trumera.

They would all just have one adult football or hurling team and that's it - even at that, getting a team out would be a challenge for them.

What's the smallest club or clubs in your county?

east down gael

I wouldn't imagine there's too many smaller in down than our county champions of the last 5 years,kilcoo.

From the Bunker

Garrymore, Which is a half parish and been playing Senior Mayo football since the '70's?

manfromdelmonte

Tremane in Roscommon who play senior hurling

Pick from 4/5 townlands

They also won a Connacht Senior club title back in the day

mrdeeds

Maghera in Cavan. Struggle to field a 15. Anyone any good from there plays with Ramor.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 21, 2017, 08:44:38 PM
Maghera in Cavan. Struggle to field a 15. Anyone any food from there plays with Ramor.

At least there is some population around Maghera. What about Corlough, I dont know how they keep going over in the wilds of west cavan.

JimStynes

Quote from: east down gael on January 21, 2017, 06:29:12 PM
I wouldn't imagine there's too many smaller in down than our county champions of the last 5 years,kilcoo.

I was asking a Kilcoo fella what sort of pick they would have. He said 5000 odd people as it stretches right to Newcastle. I was surprised as it is a very small when you drive through it.

BluestackBoy

Kilcar would probably be the smallest club in Donegal population wise, just one primary school with around 100 children.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Aaron Boone

St Jude's in Dublin probably the smallest, less than 100,000 nearby :-)

clarshack

Stewartstown one of the smallest memberships in Tyrone. Miracle to be doing so well at u-21 level.

quiganmaster

Derry would probably be ourselves, Ballymaguigan. Part of the newbridge Parish with only a square mile to pick from. One primary school with about 90-100 students. Depend a wee but on relatives and friends of players coming in to play. Punch above our weight with numerous intermediate titles and 1 senior one. Apart from that you would have maybe Ogra Colmcille or Drum or Glack

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: quiganmaster on January 21, 2017, 11:28:19 PM
Derry would probably be ourselves, Ballymaguigan. Part of the newbridge Parish with only a square mile to pick from. One primary school with about 90-100 students. Depend a wee but on relatives and friends of players coming in to play. Punch above our weight with numerous intermediate titles and 1 senior one. Apart from that you would have maybe Ogra Colmcille or Drum or Glack
To be honest would probably lean towards Drum ,  maybe a bigger geographical area but there is  only 70 odd at the primary school

GalwayBayBoy

Tough question in Galway as there is the smallest football club and the smallest hurling club and they would be in completely different parts of the county.

In football Na Piarsaigh are from Rosmuc which has a population of about 450. Could be missing someone though.

In hurling not sure possibly Meelick-Eyrecourt on the border with Offaly who are actually one of the oldest GAA clubs in the country. Eyrecourt only has a population of 264. Think they have a tiny pick and might even have a fair few players from the Offaly side of the border. At least they did at one time.

Ballygar on the border with Roscommon has a population of about 640 I think. Glinsk football club also on the border with the Rossies must also have a very small population base encompassing the area of Creggs/Ballymoe.

Actually Glenamaddy only has a population of 516. Thought it would be more. Caltra must also have a very small population.

Feel like I'm missing someone obvious though.

bennydorano

Not sure about Armagh as there are a lot of country clubs with Parish boundaries that I'd be unaware of. Somebody closer to the area would know better but Corrinshego has to be up there and is interesting if nothing else, as it is in the hinterland of Newry with it's large population but on Armagh side and always seems to be a struggle for survival.

PW Nally

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2017, 03:55:06 AM
Tough question in Galway as there is the smallest football club and the smallest hurling club and they would be in completely different parts of the county.

In football Na Piarsaigh are from Rosmuc which has a population of about 450. Could be missing someone though.

In hurling not sure possibly Meelick-Eyrecourt on the border with Offaly who are actually one of the oldest GAA clubs in the country. Eyrecourt only has a population of 264. Think they have a tiny pick and might even have a fair few players from the Offaly side of the border. At least they did at one time.

Ballygar on the border with Roscommon has a population of about 640 I think. Glinsk football club also on the border with the Rossies must also have a very small population base encompassing the area of Creggs/Ballymoe.

Actually Glenamaddy only has a population of 516. Thought it would be more. Caltra must also have a very small population.

Feel like I'm missing someone obvious though.
Usually population is given for village/town and does not include the surrounding area. Rosmuc would take in Camus also, not exactly densely populated but a help.