Inter Provincial Championships

Started by Rossfan, December 01, 2016, 04:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I'd have no problem with that. If there's an audience for it in Ulster by all means play it there.

Horse Box

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2016, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2016, 05:40:45 PM
That 2014 Final Connacht won brought about 5 hundred to Tuam.
Other than a nice weekend junket for some leading players it has no further point and no public interest. :-\

500 people obviously thought differently.

I heard one of the Tipp footballers saying they would only get maybe 500 at NFL games. So do we throw Tipp out of the league?!

300 actually , but we are passionate about our Football !

rrhf

Whilst we still take the all star junket around the world which costs a fortune and is poorly attended we cannot close the railway cup.

Eamonnca1

I think the Railway Cup final would be a better traveling event than the All-Star match, at least it might have a bit of competitive bite to it. Has anyone here ever watched an All-Star game? It's as dull as dishwater, and there's no team to root for. Do you really care whether the 2017 all stars or the 2016 all stars win?

Zulu

Quote from: rrhf on December 02, 2016, 07:28:18 AM
Whilst we still take the all star junket around the world which costs a fortune and is poorly attended we cannot close the railway cup.

Again comparing apples and oranges. The All Stars has nothing to do with the actual game which is just something tagged on for the ex-pat community. The purpose of the trip is to reward our All Stars. The inter provincials is supposed to be about the competition itself and from that stand point it's a failure. If it's just a semi competitive kick about then grand but let's not pretend it's anything more.

Jinxy

Should be played as a curtain-raiser before the O'Byrne Cup final.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

The hurling is in Nenagh and Thurles next weekend. That would be interesting, but it's up against Munster v Leicester in the European Cup so it will suffer for that. I'd have been interested to see how many would trot over to Nenagh to see it on Saturday if that wasn't on. I'd have said you'd get a couple of thousand anyway.

BennyCake

The final in Armagh 13 or 14, was a great game. Great football, high scoring, some great scores and the best of both provinces. Neil McGee claiming the winning goal at the end of absorbing contest. The final the year after in Croke Park was another cracker.

Both teams full of top players. Brogan, Murphy, O Se, Harte, Kerrigan, Clarke, Cavanagh, O'Neill, McAuley, Lacey, Coulter. Obviously the top players still want it, otherwise they wouldn't be involved.

magpie seanie

Play the final the Saturday of the All Ireland final (Parnell Park maybe), obviously players from competing counties excluded. There would be very little club activity that weekend in most counties. Fitting in the semi finals is the problem.....unfeasible to do them the Friday????

Rossfan

Anyone going?
Will the M1, N2 and M3 be jammed with Ulsterites heading to Parnell?
For the record I won't be anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

They should do something novel for the Railway Cup like playing it 13 a side, or something.
Either that or use a ball that explodes when you try to hand-pass it.
Also, it should always be played in Navan.
Maybe rename it the 'Navan Cup'.
Just some ideas...
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2016, 10:48:41 AM
Anyone going?
Will the M1, N2 and M3 be jammed with Ulsterites heading to Parnell?
For the record I won't be anyway.

Have Connacht annouced a team at all? The fear of God is in me that they pick Diarmuid or Ciaran or Niall Daly or Seanie and get them frigged before the year starts.

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 11:33:50 AM
They should do something novel for the Railway Cup like playing it 13 a side, or something.
Just some ideas...
Or how about only allow kicking of the ball ;D
Hands only for catching or deflecting.
Only the chip lift allowed ( we are talking elite players here), anyone who bends down to do a pick up to get black, red and yellow card.

Syfín, I presume your mate Cregger will have to play as he works for the Prentyfia.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Just some ideas...

Nah, thats ridiculous. Besides, theyre doing something 'novel' for all of 2017. It's called the mark.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 07, 2016, 09:10:58 PM
Just some ideas...
Or how about only allow kicking of the ball ;D
Hands only for catching or deflecting.
Only the chip lift allowed ( we are talking elite players here), anyone who bends down to do a pick up to get black, red and yellow card.

Syfín, I presume your mate Cregger will have to play as he works for the Prentyfia.

Held at gunpoint no less. Take it easy Cregger, no need to blow the hammer in December.