AZ Offaly
That Westmeath lad that hates Syferus
Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

Syferus

It's about time for a thread, it starts in only five days! After Cavan and Roscommon both made the AISF last season as well as both contesting the AI Final in successive years the standard should be quite high, especially considering the strides Longford are making at underage. It seems like all the counties have come to value the tournament more and more in recent years. Wicklow's addition is an interesting statement of intent by the Garden County, going as far as to agree to be a travel-only team in the tournament.

You'd expect Cavan to emerge from Group 2 while the meeting at the weekend of Roscommon and Longford is likely to decide who will be playing them in the cup final.

2013 U21 HASTINGS CUP TOURNAMENT

Rd. 1 - 5th January 2013

Group 1                                               Group 2
Roscommon V Longford                        Leitrim V Cavan                 
Wicklow a Bye                                      Offaly a Bye

Rd. 2 - 12th January 2013

Longford V Wicklow                              Cavan V Offaly
Roscommon a Bye                                Leitrim a Bye

Rd. 3 - 19th January 2013

Wicklow V Roscommon                        Offaly V Leitrim
Longford a Bye                                      Cavan a Bye

Please note that Wicklow have agreed to travel.

The top team in each group will contest the Hastings Cup Final and the 2nd placed team in each group will contest the Hastings Shield Final - both of these Finals to be played on 26th January 2013 at a Longford venue.

Rossfan

This will hardly cause traffic jams .... :D
I wonder will we be able to find a playable venue for this weekend's game?
Strokestown the best bet I suspect.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Its been a great tournament of late and last year the two finalists, Cavan and Roscommon, both won their provinces with Roscommon going onto the AI final. Longford also made the Leinster final. I always watch with interest as it gives a good idea on how these teams are shaping up although Cavan last year gave their whole squad a run out in the tournament, the final winning team had a good few changes to the team that won Ulster.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 01, 2013, 10:12:52 AM
This will hardly cause traffic jams .... :D
I wonder will we be able to find a playable venue for this weekend's game?
Strokestown the best bet I suspect.

It's actually a home game for Longford, scheduled for Cashel.

ross4life

Quote from: Itchy on January 01, 2013, 10:19:44 AM
Its been a great tournament of late and last year the two finalists, Cavan and Roscommon, both won their provinces with Roscommon going onto the AI final. Longford also made the Leinster final. I always watch with interest as it gives a good idea on how these teams are shaping up although Cavan last year gave their whole squad a run out in the tournament, the final winning team had a good few changes to the team that won Ulster.

Last year was the first time in about five years we didn't reach the Hastings cup final. We lost the opening game to Cavan 1-12 to 1-11 (Cavan scored 1-2 in the final minute or so) then Nigel Dineen chose to pick 2nd string sides in the remaining games.

For the talent we have available we should at least be reaching the final this year.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

With only 2 group games it doesn't give  management much opportunity to try out the whole squad and identify the best 15/20.
I expect a lot of challenge games before the Championship.

Eamonnca1

Syferus

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 02, 2013, 03:47:38 AM
So I can update this page, what is the Hasting's Cup?

An inter-county u21 football competition between the mighty underage footballing counties of Roscommon and Cavan Longford, Leitrim, Offaly and now Wicklow. It's organised by Longford and the final is always in Longford itself, no matter who is playing.

It's probably one of the most successful trans-province pre-season tournaments in the country, if not in attendance at least in helping prepare the counties for the start of their championships.

I see the Connacht Colleges League (secondary schools) and the Connacht Minor League (county minor teams) aren't on that list either so you've your work cut out for you, Eamon!

Eamonnca1

Thanks, Hastings added.  Feel free to add any other competitions yourself!

rodney trotter

It's far from a meaningless tournament. The u21 provincial Championships start in March and this tournament is good preperation for that.

Cavan have a good record in the Hastings Cup, holders for the past 3 years I think. Strong team again this year, with a lot of the panel from 2012 still available. What sort of outfit have Roscommon?

Rossfan

We'll have a good number of last year's panel underage again this year. Also we won the last 2 Connacht Minor Titles and Leagues so we won't be too bad ;)

ck

A very good competition however it comes at the wrong time to year. The GAA calander is a shambles and the pioneer pin brigade in croker should wipe the slate clean and start again. Too many competitions for 18-22 year age group. I would question why we have an U.21 grade at all.

rodney trotter

In Cavan the u21's the aren't involved with the Seniors until whenever the u21 campaign has ended. This is the way it has been the last few years, probaly doesn't help the Seniors in the League etc, when they would need a few of those players. It lets them focus fully with the u21's for the period of time.

Although they are let play in the O'Byrne Cup and fbd League which is 2 games in 2 days. Which can be hectic enough.

Orchardman

Quote from: Syferus on January 02, 2013, 04:15:20 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 02, 2013, 03:47:38 AM
So I can update this page, what is the Hasting's Cup?

An inter-county u21 football competition between the mighty underage footballing counties of Roscommon and Cavan Longford, Leitrim, Offaly and now Wicklow. It's organised by Longford and the final is always in Longford itself, no matter who is playing.

It's probably one of the most successful trans-province pre-season tournaments in the country, if not in attendance at least in helping prepare the counties for the start of their championships.

I see the Connacht Colleges League (secondary schools) and the Connacht Minor League (county minor teams) aren't on that list either so you've your work cut out for you, Eamon!

What other trans-province pre-season tournaments are there?

Apart from that, i wud say it is a very useful competition for the teams involved. I seem to remember micky harte winning this a couple of times with his all ireland u-21 teams of 2001-01, was there not a lot more counties involved then?

Cavan and ros are fairly strong at the age group, so that helps its credibility a bit

Westside

Cavan have a lot of last year's panel available and another few of the 2011 Ulster winning minors will be stepping into the squad hopefully in particular Gerard Smith, Andy Graham, Kevin Bouchier, Brian Sankey. Turloch Mooney is also underage and recovered from the cruciate tear I believe?
The experience and influence of Barry Reilly to the panel is a huge loss. We've been blessed with some quality leaders for the past 2/3 years. Hopefully the likes of Jack Brady and Conor Moynagh can fill the void now. The Hastings Cup is a great way to test out the side against some very good opposition.