USFC 2020 Semi-Final Armagh v Donegal

Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: naka on November 13, 2020, 10:58:50 AM
the orchard have one or two injury concerns so the team named might not start.
they have a punchers chance tomorrow so I wouldn`t write them off.
hopefully defence keeps tight.

Has McGeeney ever named the team that started anyway, I can't remember the last time must be at least a couple of years ago.

Major issues for Armagh are from a defensive point of view, not conceding goals and avoiding the easy concession of scoreable free kicks. That has been their achilles heel for a couple of seasons now. I'm also inclined to think that they should hit the kick outs long in the conditions, we have enough big men around the middle to at least break even if they do this. Push up on the Donegal kick out and force it long also.

The forward division is where they have most of their best players but I still struggle to see what the gameplan is at times. Persisting with a slow lateral build up between both 45m lines will play into Donegals hands so they must get the ball into the scoring zone much quicker. Effectively play more of a kicking game which may mean more ball turnover but the rewards will be much greater because of the inside threat that we pose. Donegal defensively are fairly suspect I feel especially if they aren't given time to put that screen in place. If they do this then they have a chance.

If they play cautious possession based football hoping to simply contain Donegal they could well get to within about 4-5 points of Donegal but it won't win them this match. There is absolutely nothing to lose since they have achieved their seasons goal of promotion so I am hopeful we will see a big performance tomorrow.   

APM

Quote from: yellowcard on November 13, 2020, 12:31:53 PM
Quote from: naka on November 13, 2020, 10:58:50 AM
the orchard have one or two injury concerns so the team named might not start.
they have a punchers chance tomorrow so I wouldn`t write them off.
hopefully defence keeps tight.

Has McGeeney ever named the team that started anyway, I can't remember the last time must be at least a couple of years ago.

Major issues for Armagh are from a defensive point of view, not conceding goals and avoiding the easy concession of scoreable free kicks. That has been their achilles heel for a couple of seasons now. I'm also inclined to think that they should hit the kick outs long in the conditions, we have enough big men around the middle to at least break even if they do this. Push up on the Donegal kick out and force it long also.

The forward division is where they have most of their best players but I still struggle to see what the gameplan is at times. Persisting with a slow lateral build up between both 45m lines will play into Donegals hands so they must get the ball into the scoring zone much quicker. Effectively play more of a kicking game which may mean more ball turnover but the rewards will be much greater because of the inside threat that we pose. Donegal defensively are fairly suspect I feel especially if they aren't given time to put that screen in place. If they do this then they have a chance.

If they play cautious possession based football hoping to simply contain Donegal they could well get to within about 4-5 points of Donegal but it won't win them this match. There is absolutely nothing to lose since they have achieved their seasons goal of promotion so I am hopeful we will see a big performance tomorrow.   

Did Ger Loughnane not get a name for announcing dummy teams also?
Was it not him that was challenged by a reporter about it in advance of a Munster final and said that if it was down to him he wouldn't even tell Tipperary the time of the throw-in!! 

Ed Ricketts

If O'Neill is out then that's probably curtains for Armagh. He's worth four or five points a game, they just can't replace that. Maybe Murnin can come in and make shite of Neil McGee, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

seanaglis

dont have sky- does anyone know whats the craic with gaago - if u buy the game can u watch in the north?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: seanaglis on November 13, 2020, 09:31:07 PM
dont have sky- does anyone know whats the craic with gaago - if u buy the game can u watch in the north?

No, but I would assume you could with a VPN

imtommygunn

Why is Donegal Armagh not available in Ireland with gaago if it's not on live?

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 13, 2020, 10:19:46 PM

It is on Live on Sky and you can get a Sports day pass for NowTV, no need for jiggery pokery.
Indeed NowTV were selling a two month deal for Sky Sports for €30, which would see out the GAA season and perhaps allow some other soccer be watched as well.
I wasn't in favour of Sky but as long as you can buy a day pass it is accessible.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seanaglis

Quote from: armaghniac on November 13, 2020, 10:27:53 PM

It is on Live on Sky and you can get a Sports day pass for NowTV, no need for jiggery pokery.
Indeed NowTV were selling a two month deal for Sky Sports for €30, which would see out the GAA season and perhaps allow some other soccer be watched as well.
I wasn't in favour of Sky but as long as you can buy a day pass it is accessible.
now tv- can you cast from it? its cat u have to pay to watch gaa on tv imo

armaghniac

Quote from: seanaglis on November 13, 2020, 10:48:58 PM

You'd have to pay to get in. Its amazing the people that would pay €25 to get in and the same travelling there, but they object to paying to watch.
The Connacht final is on at the same time, on RTÉ, if you want to economise.

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on November 13, 2020, 11:42:36 PM
Quote from: seanaglis on November 13, 2020, 10:48:58 PM

You'd have to pay to get in. Its amazing the people that would pay €25 to get in and the same travelling there, but they object to paying to watch.
The Connacht final is on at the same time, on RTÉ, if you want to economise.

Connacht final is at 115 tomorrow also?

armaghniac

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 13, 2020, 11:45:43 PM
Connacht final is at 115 tomorrow also?

My mistake, that game is on Sunday.

Angelo

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 13, 2020, 01:40:52 PM
If O'Neill is out then that's probably curtains for Armagh. He's worth four or five points a game, they just can't replace that. Maybe Murnin can come in and make shite of Neil McGee, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Armagh have plenty of scoring power with or without O'Neill. O'Neill is a very talented forward but from the bits I've seen can be a bit indulgent and take some daft things on. I would say Niall Grimley is probably a more reliable free taker as well. Murnin is a very good replacement for him if he's out.

I would have to say that Stefan Campbell is Armagh's most important player from what I have seen in the past few seasons. So much of their play goes through him, he's a work horse and a huge scoring threat from the half forward line.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

illdecide

Stefan Campbell is as dangerous around the box as any forward out there but the problem is Armagh need his services more out the field where he uses his pace and strength to run at defenders and get a score or draw a foul. I reckon a wee cheeky move for McGeeney would be to throw into FF and i reckon he'd give NMCG a torrid time.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: illdecide on November 14, 2020, 11:54:40 AM
Stefan Campbell is as dangerous around the box as any forward out there but the problem is Armagh need his services more out the field where he uses his pace and strength to run at defenders and get a score or draw a foul. I reckon a wee cheeky move for McGeeney would be to throw into FF and i reckon he'd give NMCG a torrid time.

The problem is getting him the ball inside though. Donegal have a very good defensive shape to them and big, strong and athletic defenders that are up to the task.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL