Inter-railing

Started by Rav67, July 03, 2008, 03:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Heading inter-railing this weekend, has anyone been before and where were the best cities to visit?

I'll be in Berlin this weekend and I know that I'll be in Seville a different weekend, does anyone know any Irish bars in either of these cities that would be showing the football or hurling?

Tankie

go to Krakov and as much as eastern europe as possible, it so cheap for an interrailing trip and the cash you save you can spend in the big cities.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Treasurer

Quote from: Rav67 on July 03, 2008, 03:39:55 PM
Heading inter-railing this weekend, has anyone been before and where were the best cities to visit?

I'll be in Berlin this weekend and I know that I'll be in Seville a different weekend, does anyone know any Irish bars in either of these cities that would be showing the football or hurling?

Went inter-railing a good few years back  and made the mistake of trying to fit in too much, with the result that some cities were just a blur afterwards and hard to recall which was which!  A great holiday though. 

Shamrock Shore

Did it in 1985 so my tall tales are probably stale now.

How much is a ticket in young people's money now?

armaghniac

QuoteDid it in 1985 so my tall tales are probably stale now.

Shamrock Shore, was that you I saw on the train.  :)

Places with cheap accommodation often have cheap train tickets, so you have to balance the saving on rail tcikets of using the interrail. It might make sense to go to Switzerland where trains are expensive. Nowadays there are cheap flights to many places, so it might make sense to go to a place you need a train to get to. So instead of Berlin maybe go to Dresden or Hamburg, go to Kosice instead of Bratislava etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 03, 2008, 07:47:36 PM

Getting the train as far as Portlaoise doesn't count SS  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fishbat

Exactly what way does it work - can you just buy a ticket and hop on and off wherever ye want?

Shamrock Shore

In 85 the ticket was IR£120  :o

As far as I can recall CIE offered 50% off but trains in mainland Europe were free but some were subject to a supplement (i.e. Italian robbing bastards).

Paris - my first encounter with an Espresso coffee. I thought 'Espresso' meant 'Instant' so imagine my horror when I got this doll's house cup of tar.
Missed Live Aid cos I didn't realise it was on. Was in some Youth Hostel in Heidleburg.
Decided not to go to Berlin cos it was too much hassle (how I regret that now)
Almost got arrested by both French and German police for literally arseing around.
Saw naked people in the park in Zurich which freaked me out.
Trains do run on time in Italy so, to Mr. Mussolini,

Rav67

You can get a junior ticket if you're under 25 like me, I'm paying £229 for 22 days continuous, so I can use the rail ticket any day or every day if I wanted.  Pretty good value saying they have sleeper carriages in the trains so you can go overnight if its a long cross-country journey and save yourself from both being scunnered on the train and paying a night's accommodation!

stiffler

How did you get on inter railing?

Im thinking about going next summer for 2-3 weeks, I have always fancied doing it and if i dont do it next summer i probably wont get the chance again.

Anyone wanna share their inter railing experience?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

behind the wire

probably best holiday i have ever been on, but its fairly hectic. i went around france and italy, trains were good and comfortable. monaco was the best place i visited, nice wasnt bad either. liked all the cities in italy apart from milan. didnt go to naples which i regret now.

thinking of heading again next year. anyone ever done austria switzerland slovenia etc?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Donagh

Quote from: stiffler on November 24, 2008, 03:04:39 PM

Spent a night in a Romanian jail, "fined" in France for possession of a minuscule amount of cannabis, almost died after coming of a motorbike on the Greek islands, witnessed the build-up to the Yugoslav wars and the aftermath of the Berlin wall. Throw in plenty of sessions, loads of sunshine, lots of pretty girls and the summer of '91 was probably the best ever.

full back

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 03:33:55 PM

Spent a night in a Romanian jail, "fined" in France for possession of a minuscule amount of cannabis, almost died after coming of a motorbike on the Greek islands, witnessed the build-up to the Yugoslav wars and the aftermath of the Berlin wall. Throw in plenty of sessions, loads of sunshine, lots of pretty girls and the summer of '91 was probably the best ever.

C'mon Donagh, I believe most of it but the bit in bold :D

magpie seanie

Quote from: Donagh on November 24, 2008, 03:33:55 PM

That must have been fun. Nicolae was still top dog then wasn't he. Travelled Romania back in 2003 myself and had a great time but even then the thought of a night in their clink would have scared the bejaysus outta me.

Donagh

It wasn't pretty - straight out of some bleak Channel 4 documentary - no plaster on the walls, no bed, guards in blue boiler suits and steel toe-capped boots with revolvers tucked into their belts, no glass but bars on the windows, bucket in the corner and nothing to eat or drink. Was lucky enough that I wasn't in with any local crims but put in with two East Germans for a bit before being moved to a room of my own for the night. Thought the f**kers were going to shoot me and bury in a field somewhere.

They kicked me out the next day but not before pouring a cup of coffee over my passport as they were handing it back. All because I wouldn't give some cnut a bribe. The maddest thing was sitting in the train station the next day waiting to get deported back to Prague watching mile upon mile huge tanks going past - presumably the Russians going home.