The assisted lift, or whatever it's called

Started by Eamonnca1, March 24, 2014, 06:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2014, 11:20:28 AM
I've often idly speculated about it myself just for gas. It looks so spectacular in rugby. But of course it's unworkable for the reasons AZOffaly points out.

What remains, though, since there's no rule that bans it, is the question of what happens when it's tried for the first time, as could quite easily happen.

All-Ireland Final 2014. The teams are level. Last kick of the game is a 45. Mickey Newman's kick is accurate and is going to sail about four feet over the black spot to break Louth hearts yet again. But The Louth lads have been doing a bit of practice in training for fun. The full back leaps and, as he does, the two corner backs grab a leg each and hoist him. He pulls the ball down into his chest and returns safely to earth.

The referee blows the whistle. Is it the final whistle, replay in two weeks? Or is it another free. If so, what for?

If it's allowed, as it might be, since I can't find a rule that disallows it, it'll be tried again in the league and will be be quickly banned as it would be impossible in our game to make it safe with the rules that rugby applies. But, in the meantime ...

I'm surprised Tyrone haven't tried something like this already to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Quote from: haranguerer on March 24, 2014, 11:40:02 AM
The original post was in relation to kick outs, which is spectacularly ludicrous.

The situation you are describing Hardy, less so, but still ludicrous.

Assuming you are going to have a few corner backs in around your full back prepared to hoist, then thats an entire full forward line unmarked and available for a short one. Unless you could get the opposition to also be obedient and stand very close to your full back....

Unlikely, perhaps, but not really ludicrous. You're not bothered with marking the full forward line if the ball is clearly going to sail, let's say two feet over the bar. The full back line are all in the square, within a few feet of each other. The full back was going to jump for the ball anyway. The two lads just give him an extra bit of a hoosh, not a professional rugby-style lift, but enough to get him up an extra couple of feet.

Marty Morrissey will be speechless and just jibber incoherently. So no change there. Martin Carney will say it was a foot block foul by the full forward. Michael Collins will give a sideline kick and send off the goalkeeper. Louth people will invade the pitch, just out of habit.

Hardy

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on March 24, 2014, 11:41:02 AMI think this would come under dangerous play, albeit, towards your own player!

It could, except there's no rule about dangerous play towards your own player.

One thing is for sure, there's no predicting what any referee would do, should it happen.

Jinxy

I remember playing in an underage game when two lads from the opposing team started laying into each other.
The ref didn't know what to do.
Told their manager to sort it out and I think he subbed one of them.
This would have been up around North Meath (sure where else would it be, says you).

Zulu

That's true, if it were to simultaneously happen at 10 games around the country we'd, no doubt, get 10 different decisions from the referees.

Me? I'd call it dangerous play and give a free to the opposing team, no wait the lifting team, sorry on further reflection I'd throw the ball in expect in the case of injury where I'd give a free to the lifting team unless they also injured a player on the opposing team who would then get the free and I'd send off the lifters and the lifted. At least that's what I think I'd do.

DJGaliv

Quote from: Jinxy on March 24, 2014, 11:06:46 AM
Lets be honest lads, we've all thought of the 'standing on the crossbar' idea at some stage.

What about replacing the crossbar at your home pitch with bamboo stick. Some hefty corner backs hang off the crossbar pulling it down and as the ball come in let go -firing the lad standing on it up in the air to catch the ball.

I see it as the natural evolution of the game.

haranguerer

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2014, 11:53:27 AM
Unlikely, perhaps, but not really ludicrous. You're not bothered with marking the full forward line if the ball is clearly going to sail, let's say two feet over the bar. The full back line are all in the square, within a few feet of each other. The full back was going to jump for the ball anyway. The two lads just give him an extra bit of a hoosh, not a professional rugby-style lift, but enough to get him up an extra couple of feet.

You wouldnt know its going over til its hit, so you'd have max 3 seconds to get from your men to the line and have a lad hoisted. Perhaps in an adhoc situation, whereby forwards all happen to be in round the goals and theres no movement, but I'd say ludicrously unlikely  :)

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2014, 09:56:24 AM
Quote from: Zulu on March 24, 2014, 09:12:55 AM
It's impractical, pointless and illegal for starters.

Illegal under which rule?

Because it is rather gay having another man grab you by the waist or top of the thighs.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Hardy on March 24, 2014, 11:20:28 AM
I've often idly speculated about it myself just for gas. It looks so spectacular in rugby. But of course it's unworkable for the reasons AZOffaly points out.

What remains, though, since there's no rule that bans it, is the question of what happens when it's tried for the first time, as could quite easily happen.

All-Ireland Final 2014. The teams are level. Last kick of the game is a 45. Mickey Newman's kick is accurate and is going to sail about four feet over the black spot to break Louth hearts yet again. But The Louth lads have been doing a bit of practice in training for fun. The full back leaps and, as he does, the two corner backs grab a leg each and hoist him. He pulls the ball down into his chest and returns safely to earth.

The referee blows the whistle. Is it the final whistle, replay in two weeks? Or is it another free. If so, what for?

If it's allowed, as it might be, since I can't find a rule that disallows it, it'll be tried again in the league and will be be quickly banned as it would be impossible in our game to make it safe with the rules that rugby applies. But, in the meantime ...

Meath and Louth contesting the last 45 in the dying seconds of an AI final (Where does the absurdity begin and end in that statement!!!)

Wildweasel74

To be honest i dont know why a player never been lifted on the line to stop points going over the bar from long range frees, i see many apoint clear the bar and no more, lifting is not covered in the rules and i do expect some team to try it, i remember years ago when playing discussing this with players lol

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 24, 2014, 07:44:12 PM
i remember years ago when playing discussing this with players lol

See? I'm not the only one who's thought about it! 

Main Street

The Pyramid Play might be a useful ploy to defend against 45's, for example.

Jinxy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 24, 2014, 07:50:46 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 24, 2014, 07:44:12 PM
i remember years ago when playing discussing this with players lol

See? I'm not the only one who's thought about it!

Now Eamonn, there's a big difference between this and lads charging around midfield on each others shoulders trying to catch a kickout.

time ticking away

canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......