Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 11:12:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2016, 10:52:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 10:42:51 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2016, 10:38:58 PM
Quote from: dec on May 27, 2016, 10:17:22 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2016, 10:11:52 PM
It only exists as as an area of one country under the rule of another country.
You can't get " Northern Ireland" passports and I've never heard of a "Northern Ireland" Embassy anywhere.

So Scotland isn't a country either.

Who's the Scottish Ambassador to Ireland?
It's usually the Celtic manager
Scotland was an independent country when it joined the Union. If it left the Union it would be an independent country.
Northern Ireland did not join the  union as an independent country. It threw its toys out of the pram prior to 1920.

Did Collins not sign us out of the country??
Carson screamed blue murder and Craig got the guns in.
NI has always been a negative thing. No Home rule, no surrender, no Taigs running the show.
Apart from Marty?

armaghniac

As James Craig put it.
"All I boast of is that we are a Protestant Parliament and a Protestant State. It would be rather interesting for historians of the future to compare a Catholic State launched in the South with a Protestant State launched in the North and to see which gets on the better and prospers the more. "

I wonder how the prospering bit and getting on thing is working out? Any updates on that?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

What did the British think would happen in the new state?

In this part of Ireland since the Ulster Plantation, things weren't exactly going swimmingly. Did they really think drawing a border and fencing in Catholics, suppressing further their basic human rights; and forced to live under the rule of bigoted, triumphalist, Protestants, was really going to end in harmony?

I mean, force an animal into a corner and it'll come out fighting.

It's laughable when British royalty and politicans come over here, and patronize people about the good relations that's going on and working together to build a future for all etc etc. A load of patronizing bullshit. Their forefathers helped create this unworkable sectarian cesspit and are washing their hands of any wrongdoing by leaving the clean-up operation to those who are elected to try and run the place.

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on May 28, 2016, 02:58:59 AM
What did the British think would happen in the new state?

In this part of Ireland since the Ulster Plantation, things weren't exactly going swimmingly. Did they really think drawing a border and fencing in Catholics, suppressing further their basic human rights; and forced to live under the rule of bigoted, triumphalist, Protestants, was really going to end in harmony?

The objective was to keep the bigotry going as long as possible, not to have a nice place.

QuoteIt's laughable when British royalty and politicans come over here, and patronize people about the good relations that's going on and working together to build a future for all etc etc. A load of patronizing bullshit. Their forefathers helped create this unworkable sectarian cesspit and are washing their hands of any wrongdoing by leaving the clean-up operation to those who are elected to try and run the place.

Well said.

But can't we put all that rational analysis behind us and support the gallant green guys over in France!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

No party in the South will allow Sinn Fein into government.

ashman

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2016, 04:57:45 AM
No party in the South will allow Sinn Fein into government.

Sinn Fein won't let themselves in to power in the South .  Hurling on the ditch seems to be their raisin d'etre down here.  That said cant see the relevence to the thread .

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2016, 01:43:27 AM
As James Craig put it.
"All I boast of is that we are a Protestant Parliament and a Protestant State. It would be rather interesting for historians of the future to compare a Catholic State launched in the South with a Protestant State launched in the North and to see which gets on the better and prospers the more. "

I wonder how the prospering bit and getting on thing is working out? Any updates on that?
Craig and Carson had to invent a culture for the Protestant state for the Protestant people that justified the status quo where the Taigs were at the bottom of the caste system. With industries like shipbuilding employing protestants exclusively it would go on forever. And England would always be the same. What could possibly go wrong.
Cavan collaborated and won over 30 Ulster titles while the model worked.
The problem with racist systems is that they are self defeating economically. Keeping people down is bad for the economy. It means the wrong focus. If you do it for too long the whole system can collapse.
The Brits changed as well. Nobody in England or Scotland gives a shit about the Somme.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 27, 2016, 11:33:56 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 11:28:54 PM
The prods were right about Rome rule down south. I don't see how the Treaty could have covered Antrim and Down.
And it is hard to see anything other than a 32 county Ireland long term.

Ok, its very simple even you can understand this, the South of Ireland and Donegal was offered a chance to break away from the northern prods, never worry about the taigs that lived there.. Took it and ran away.... That's how I view it.. The South ran away
That is what happened in practice. The Border Commission never took.place. There was nobody to stand up for the catholics in Belfast or Derry when it came to jobs or housing.

Ronnie

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2016, 07:13:35 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 28, 2016, 01:43:27 AM
As James Craig put it.

Craig and Carson had to invent a culture for the Protestant state for the Protestant people that justified the status quo where the Taigs were at the bottom of the caste system. With industries like shipbuilding employing protestants exclusively it would go on forever. And England would always be the same. What could possibly go wrong.
Cavan collaborated and won over 30 Ulster titles while the model worked.
The problem with racist systems is that they are self defeating economically. Keeping people down is bad for the economy. It means the wrong focus. If you do it for too long the whole system can collapse.
The Brits changed as well. Nobody in England or Scotland gives a shit about the Somme.

New here and all but please go away.

bcarrier

I have no interest in either  the NI or ROI soccer teams.

Other sports are available.

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on May 27, 2016, 07:24:13 PM
The Belfast telegraph has an interview with Shaw of the IFA who says he hopes the whole country will get behind the team.
They don't take  soccer seriously in Kilkenny. Hard to see it happening.
They take soccer very seriously in Kilkenny actually.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

What sort of fleg would be acceptable for a non Protestant member of the #GAWA #WTF. I presume the Norn Irn fleg would be out of the question. 

T Fearon

Seafoid,I don't think the vast majority of people at football games are interested or excited by flags/anthems.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on May 28, 2016, 08:02:58 AM
Seafoid,I don't think the vast majority of people at football games are interested or excited by flags/anthems.
I was watching a #GAWA video Tony and noted lots of NI flags.  If you were following them and used a flag would you use the NI flag, for example?

T Fearon

I never wear political emblems to sporting occasions,as I don't see the point.Fleg waving to excess in the North,by both sides,is a sign of insecurity.