PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
28 posts by Baile Brigín.
11 of them on this subject ::)

What's wrong with that? How many posts before you consider his opinions are valid?

Baile Brigín 2

Jinxy

Quote from: CornUladh02 on July 19, 2018, 08:21:51 PM
Unfortunately the lack of flexibility and the often parochial nature of the GAA rulebook has left the GAA with our on its face with this one. Would have been a massive PR boost for the GAA to allow it to go ahead but it hasn't worked out. Maybe a sizable donation to the Miller foundation By the GAA would help?

That's debatable, looking at all the 'Grab All Association' beauties having a meltdown on social media.
In any event, PR is fleeting and precedents last much longer.
I personally think it would be a good and positive gesture to let PUC be used for this specific event, but ultimately we need a proposal at congress to ring-fence Croke Park, PUC, Clones & Pearse stadium (hypothetically) and give them autonomy to run whatever events they want, subject to approval by Central Council (if that's not an oxymoron).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Franko

Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2018, 08:48:41 PM
Unfortunately the lack of flexibility and the often parochial nature of the GAA rulebook has left the GAA with our on its face with this one. Would have been a massive PR boost for the GAA to allow it to go ahead but it hasn't worked out. Maybe a sizable donation to the Miller foundation By the GAA would help?

That's debatable, looking at all the 'Grab All Association' beauties having a meltdown on social media.
I personally think it would be a good and positive gesture to let PUC be used for this specific event, but ultimately we need a proposal at congress to ring-fence Croke Park, PUC, Clones & Pearse stadium (hypothetically) and give them autonomy to run whatever events they want, subject to approval by Central Council (if that's not an oxymoron).

I think the proposal should be more wide ranging than that.  I think all grounds should be opened up, on the proviso that an application is made to Croke Park (or maybe the relevant provincial council) which they would then ratify on a case-by-case basis.

tippabu

Great cause and would hope to see them raise good funds but what sort of attendance are they actually hoping to get for this? I would have thought in the 1st place Turners cross would have been ideal size for the event. I know this isn't the main argument here

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Franko on July 20, 2018, 08:11:40 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 19, 2018, 08:48:41 PM

I think the proposal should be more wide ranging than that.  I think all grounds should be opened up, on the proviso that an application is made to Croke Park (or maybe the relevant provincial council) which they would then ratify on a case-by-case basis.
IIRC, that is the position at present. Some years, can't remember how many, Galway Utd. qualified for an international competition and asked the Galway CB for permission to stage the home leg in Pearse Stadium.
This caused a predictable pumpus and, ASFAIK, permission was eventually granted. but it was made clear the what you mentioned above, would be the de facto position from there on.
Even earlier, there was a row of a similar nature, again in Galway, when a local club in Connemaa was asked by the soccer crowd there to let a soccer match go ahead on the GAA club's pitch. There were threats of writs and countersuits and everyone was having a great time until it was discovered that the gah didn't own the grounds. It was county council property so the game was allowed to go ahead.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

TheClubman

I want to start off by saying how sad I was to hear of Liam Miller's death. Really admired him as a player and seemed like a good lad. The reaction of his fellow pros and the big names getting involved in this event is testament to this. I hope the venture is a huge success and fitting tribute.

However I have to say this is a clear case here of the blame being put in the wrong place.

The GAA rules are clear and have been spoken about at great length over the years. In fact, so much so that a previous iteration of this rule has lent itself to the name of one of if not the biggest online sports journals in the country. GAA rules can only change every year at congress.

Unfortunately, GAA rules as currently stated, do not allow for a game like this to take place anywhere (bar Croke Park if Central Council agree).

Soccer in this country is administered by the FAI. By and large they do a shocking job. As we see today, their biggest soccer stadium in the second biggest city in the country has a capacity of 7000. Lansdowne Road, owned by the IRFU, was redeveloped with the government paying 2/3 of the cost. League of Ireland clubs can't pay wages. They have a CEO on astronomical money for doing a terrible job. They have a national team that are unwatchable with the coaching team getting paid colossal money.

Yet it's the GAA's fault that there isn't a ground of sufficient size in Cork to host this charity match? In typical Irish fashion we want to bend the rules when it suits and tomorrow we'll be giving out about corruption and rule bending that we don't favour. Maybe we should break health and safety rules and let 20000 into Turners Cross? Of course not. As a nation we seriously need to cop on to ourselves and do a bit of thinking rather than reactionary barstool yapping.

johnnycool

How big is Musgrave park?

Is it not an option?

mup

Quote from: TheClubman on July 20, 2018, 11:21:26 AM
I want to start off by saying how sad I was to hear of Liam Miller's death. Really admired him as a player and seemed like a good lad. The reaction of his fellow pros and the big names getting involved in this event is testament to this. I hope the venture is a huge success and fitting tribute.

However I have to say this is a clear case here of the blame being put in the wrong place.

The GAA rules are clear and have been spoken about at great length over the years. In fact, so much so that a previous iteration of this rule has lent itself to the name of one of if not the biggest online sports journals in the country. GAA rules can only change every year at congress.

Unfortunately, GAA rules as currently stated, do not allow for a game like this to take place anywhere (bar Croke Park if Central Council agree).

Soccer in this country is administered by the FAI. By and large they do a shocking job. As we see today, their biggest soccer stadium in the second biggest city in the country has a capacity of 7000. Lansdowne Road, owned by the IRFU, was redeveloped with the government paying 2/3 of the cost. League of Ireland clubs can't pay wages. They have a CEO on astronomical money for doing a terrible job. They have a national team that are unwatchable with the coaching team getting paid colossal money.

Yet it's the GAA's fault that there isn't a ground of sufficient size in Cork to host this charity match? In typical Irish fashion we want to bend the rules when it suits and tomorrow we'll be giving out about corruption and rule bending that we don't favour. Maybe we should break health and safety rules and let 20000 into Turners Cross? Of course not. As a nation we seriously need to cop on to ourselves and do a bit of thinking rather than reactionary barstool yapping.

Except the rule that about home draws. Where the game would have gone ahead in Croke Park only for Kildare to kick up.

TheClubman

Quote from: mup on July 20, 2018, 12:23:21 PM

Except the rule that about home draws. Where the game would have gone ahead in Croke Park only for Kildare to kick up.

That's what I mean. You're making my point for me. The CCCC misapplied the rules and Kildare forced them to apply them correctly.

laoislad

Of course the GAA shouldn't be forced into doing anything they don't want to, rules are rules and they have their rules and all that.
As rules go though it's a pretty stupid one imo, also I doubt it would take very much or have much opposition if they were to bend the rules a little this time and make an exception.
There are some who are turning this into a soccer v Gaa debate. This is not a soccer event it's a charity event.
One tool on the radio this morning start going in about the Queen and the Union Jack and kept calling soccer a Brit sport and how no Brit sport should be played in PuC.
We're all Irish men at the end of the day,so was Liam Miller.
Anyone with an ounce of common sense or decency would know the right thing for the GAA to do would be to bend the rules on this occasion.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mup

Quote from: TheClubman on July 20, 2018, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: mup on July 20, 2018, 12:23:21 PM

That's what I mean. You're making my point for me. The CCCC misapplied the rules and Kildare forced them to apply them correctly.

And if they didn't force them the game would have gone ahead in Croke Park. Therefore breaking their own rules.

As Laoislad suggested there is surely a way to break the rules again for such an event.

general_lee

Quote from: laoislad on July 20, 2018, 01:09:45 PM
Of course the GAA shouldn't be forced into doing anything they don't want to, rules are rules and they have their rules and all that.
As rules go though it's a pretty stupid one imo, also I doubt it would take very much or have much opposition if they were to bend the rules a little this time and make an exception.
There are some who are turning this into a soccer v Gaa debate. This is not a soccer event it's a charity event.
One tool on the radio this morning start going in about the Queen and the Union Jack and kept calling soccer a Brit sport and how no Brit sport should be played in PuC.
We're all Irish men at the end of the day,so was Liam Miller.
Anyone with an ounce of common sense or decency would know the right thing for the GAA to do would be to bend the rules on this occasion.
Totally agree. If you can have American football and concerts at GAA stadia why not a charity event. GAA are a joke at times

Dinny Breen

Quote from: johnnycool on July 20, 2018, 11:26:04 AM
How big is Musgrave park?

Is it not an option?

No they are in the process of laying down a 3G pitch.
#newbridgeornowhere

The PRO

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 link=topic=28757.msg1830705#msg1830705

If a player gets injured the FAI would cover it as they would be overseeing, if not running the event. Its very silly to suggest a stadium owner would be liable for a sporting injury on their turf ahead of the organisers.
I wouldn't trust the FAI not to f**k that up. They are good at f**king things up.