USFC 2020 Semi-Final Armagh v Donegal

Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Going by the games at the weekend Armagh will be lucky to get within 6 points of Donegal.

Who on that team would be fit to mark Murphy?

And that is even before you look at McHugh.

If McBrearty is fit it could be a bloodbath  ;D

tonto1888

I don't see us getting within 6. I'd say Donegal by 7/8. Hope we go out and give it a good go instead of trying to be defensive. We have plenty Tod firepower to give Donegal food for thought but I can't see our defence holding out. Even without McBrearty

Main Street

Oisin is confident that Armagh will play better than they did v Derry.

bannside

Never mind Mc Brearty!  Who is fit to mark Farah? Find of the year but no surprise to Tir Connail folk who have been just waiting on his arrival. What a player.

Ed Ricketts

Armagh will probably need to pull out their best championship result in 15 years to beat Donegal. That's the magnitude of the task facing them. Their scoring power gives them a puncher's chance, but if Donegal are properly focussed they'll ease home.

Armagh just give away too many cheap scores to reliably challenge the top teams. And they especially give away frees. Averaging almost 9 points conceded from frees in their three matches since football resumed - and that was against division 2 and 3 opposition. This has been a very long standing problem and will not be adequately resolved before Saturday week.

If they are to upset the odds Armagh will probably need to score a couple of goals; they'll need to keep Donegal out at the other end; they'll need Donegal's free takers to fall apart on the day; and they'll need their discipline to be immaculate - no cheap, petulant cards for Jamie Clarke or Rian O'Neill. One or two of those things might happen, but it's difficult to see them all coming together.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

StephenC

Jaysus I'm reading this thread not knowing if the Armagh boys are taking a hand or whether you are actually writing yourselves off that badly! Clearly we'll be favourites however from the posts here you'd swear that this was a forgone conclusion. I still remember 2014 - we were lucky to come out of that game with a win (great point from Paddy McB to seal it).

balladmaker

Quote from: StephenC on November 04, 2020, 08:21:59 AM
Jaysus I'm reading this thread not knowing if the Armagh boys are taking a hand or whether you are actually writing yourselves off that badly! Clearly we'll be favourites however from the posts here you'd swear that this was a forgone conclusion. I still remember 2014 - we were lucky to come out of that game with a win (great point from Paddy McB to seal it).

Based on the two games last Sunday, it definitely looks like a foregone conclusion, as Donegal are on a different level.  However, it's November, it's Championship, everything is a bonus at this stage so bring it on.

armaghniac

I think people in Armagh think thry can play better, but fear that they won't do so for 70 minutes and that won't be enough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: StephenC on November 04, 2020, 08:21:59 AM

And I still remember 2015. That said the league game last year was a tight affair. However, I genuinely expect Donegal to win easing up. Hope I'm wrong

illdecide

I think most Armagh people myself included here are writing Armagh off but deep down we know there is always a big game in us and if it happens next weekend we could beat Donegal. If i'm being 100% honest Donegal are probably 5-6pt better team than Armagh but it's on the day and anything can happen. I do think Donegal will win but it could be a lot closer than most of us think...and you just never know.
Armagh def have the forward line and the midfield at best can break even, we all know that our defence can be a bit suspect and do give away a lot of free's but you know what...this time of year on the soft ground it will def suit the defenders a lot more and you just don't know. I'm looking forward to it anyway no matter what happens...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: illdecide on November 04, 2020, 10:55:30 AM
I think most Armagh people myself included here are writing Armagh off but deep down we know there is always a big game in us and if it happens next weekend we could beat Donegal. If i'm being 100% honest Donegal are probably 5-6pt better team than Armagh but it's on the day and anything can happen. I do think Donegal will win but it could be a lot closer than most of us think...and you just never know.
Armagh def have the forward line and the midfield at best can break even, we all know that our defence can be a bit suspect and do give away a lot of free's but you know what...this time of year on the soft ground it will def suit the defenders a lot more and you just don't know. I'm looking forward to it anyway no matter what happens...

Hasn't really suited Armagh's defenders so far in the last month.

From frees:
2-4 v Roscommon
0-7 v Clare
0-9 v Derry

Donegal have a much better forward line than any of those counties. There's always an angle for optimism, but I just can't see how Armagh keep the free count low enough to be competitive against a team like Donegal.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Angelo

You could make a case for Armagh being better 8-15 than Tyrone but they just don't have the players to blot out Donegal's attackers.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

BennyCake

We outscored Derry by 2. Even with Rian scoring high I doubt we'll outscore Donegal with points. We'll need at least 3 goals. We seen how Canavans goal came about. If it's a heavy pitch/wet ball, mistakes can be made. We need to keep the ball in Donegal's half as much as possible. No pissing about on the ball. Long direct kick passing is the way to go. Big man at FF and let's go for it.

tbrick18

Armagh struggled for long periods in the 2nd half against Derry, a team that narrowly missed out on promotion to Div2.
Derry had a very young inexperienced side and could have won. Armagh deserved it in the end, but by no means did they look like they had much more to offer.
Donegal on the other hand, Murphy and Mchugh were quiet by their standards and I'd expect them to play better the next time around. Add McBrearty in and the fact that they never looked like they were in any real danger against Tyrone and I think we could be looking at a heavy defeat for Armagh.
Mentioned already, Armagh concede a lot of frees and look particularly vulnerable when being ran at. I'd expect Donegal to run at them and especially if McBrearty is fit there'll be some long high balls in which could result in goals.
Jamie Clarke looked very dangerous, but will he and Grugan score more than Donegal? Its hard to see.

Donegal by 10+ but would be nice to see an underdog come through.