Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 10:52:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2012, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 10:35:37 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2012, 09:05:44 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 02, 2012, 06:33:09 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 02, 2012, 12:16:13 AM
I'm open to correction but I think the Masters went the way of the dodo partly due to insurance costs or concerns?

Yeah your right puck the gaa didn't recognise the competition so therefore the games couldn't be played for insurance reasons

Typical of Croke Park to let things lapse, any players I knew who played in these competitions enjoyed the craic

The games weren't covered under the GAA insurance. It's all a bit of craic until someone suffers a serious injury then 'The GAA' are at fault again.

Clubs pay a fee for each team they place into a league/competition why can't this be the same, set up a league/competition, club pays the usual fee and away ya go. Members are paying for it anyways.

An under 14 can suffer a serious injury also but he's still covered

There were insurance issues. The GAA insurance scheme can only pay out what it takes in. It costs more to insurance a +40 year old man than it does an U14 player.

I'm with you regarding the insurance being more expensive but if they are paying for it through their membership then that should be ok?

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 02, 2012, 10:58:19 AM
I can't say for other counties but I know there is a recreational program in Armagh and I also think it Monaghan. It is similar to Tag rugby with only minimal contact allowed, subject to the refs discretion :P. It is generally minimum 12 aside and covers 35's to 50's though I know a few lads on the upper range faking their DOB! It should be more organised across the boards and have it like Tag where you haved mixed teams with womes scores counting double!

Is it recognised through official channels?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

The grade isn't recognised centrally so an individual CCC cant recognise it as it could bankrupt the GAA insurance scheme.

brokencrossbar1

I'm not sure how recognised it is but it is a growing competition.  I would suggest you get a few of the heads in ST Galls and get them to see if they can do similar.  Over 35 and not fit/registered to play with another team. Each man throws in a few pound a game for sandwiches and insurance. 

heffo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 02, 2012, 11:40:53 AM
I'm not sure how recognised it is but it is a growing competition.  I would suggest you get a few of the heads in ST Galls and get them to see if they can do similar.  Over 35 and not fit/registered to play with another team. Each man throws in a few pound a game for sandwiches and insurance.

At club level it's growing fast - in my experience though the teams organise private insurance for themselves

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 02, 2012, 11:40:53 AM

Yeah a 10 team league would be plenty in fairness, but again these things need to go through proper channels. Development officers like Mardsen have done this before and like i said already I've played in a couple of 10 a side tournaments, great craic but left me wanting more.

Though I'm still playing away with the junior hurling team I wouldn't mind playing away till I croak with the old boys
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

fitzroyalty

Marsden works for the Ulster Council, not Armagh so I am assuming the recreational stuff comes under their remit.

Ridiculous that insurance is being used as an excuse.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 02, 2012, 11:59:44 AM
Marsden works for the Ulster Council, not Armagh so I am assuming the recreational stuff comes under their remit.

That's right, Marsden organised the games as part of his role with the Ulster Council. I think his role has now changed and it'll be down to each club to organise their own games.

The insurance issue has cropped up with some clubs, but if the game is played properly there should be no problems.

We played the Clans last month, the game was good craic and played in the right spirit. The Clans had a 16 y.o. in nets for them & he was superb, his father was playing outfield for them. As they were short on numbers we loaned them a few players to make up the numbers. To my eternal regret I played one half for them and scored a goal! 

That game also marked the return in red & white for Andrew McCann, which was great to see.

thewobbler

When a guy snaps a cruciate on a GAA field and misses a couple of months work, it's only natural they'll be looking for compensation /options from their club and the GAA.

When a guy of 38 snaps his cruciate on a GAA field, it's only natural that the club won't want to get involved in any scheme to remunerate him directly. There's no return, unless he's a club die hard.

So insurance is the only way out. Horrible fact of life. But walk around a GAA changing room and ask the older fellas if they're insured, and the younger fellas the same question, the first group will know the answer.

heffo

yeah sure its all a bit of craic until a guy in his mid-40's with a big mortgage and three kids does his cruciate and you start discussing who's going to pay his mortgage and put food on his table.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: heffo on August 02, 2012, 01:42:17 PM

yeah sure its all a bit of craic until a guy in his mid-40's with a big mortgage and three kids does his cruciate and you start discussing who's going to pay his mortgage and put food on his table.

I know what your saying Heffo . But how does the Insurance work when lads play on Astoturf what happens if they do their Cruciate while playing there ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Milltown Row2

For the insurance side of things all players should be paying club membership, of which its part insurance, If a 40 year old is worried about losing his job through injury then take up chess FFS. We are talking about lads who want to play beyond the age where you are forced to retire due to some wee fecker who stole your position !! (I'm not bitter :o)

Canalman

I heard a different slant as to why the intercounty over 40s was done away with. Seemingly it was being treated very very seriously in some counties (possibly far too seriously) and the GAA decided to put a stop to it with a view to a more recreational approach/ alternative which afaik never came about.

tbrick18

Eamon Burns won an AI with Derry in 93 and was still playing senior club football for Ballinascreen last year. Last time I was talking to him he said he was hoping to play this year too. I've only managed to get to a couple of games this year and he wasnt playing in either so I'm not sure if he's still turning out. But he'd be 40-41 I think.

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 02, 2012, 02:13:37 PM

For the insurance side of things all players should be paying club membership, of which its part insurance, If a 40 year old is worried about losing his job through injury then take up chess FFS. We are talking about lads who want to play beyond the age where you are forced to retire due to some wee fecker who stole your position !! (I'm not bitter :o)

As I've already said GAA insurance does not cover these games.

Club membership does not cover it unless some club with very deep pockets takes out private insurance for it's members.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Canalman on August 02, 2012, 02:21:10 PM
I heard a different slant as to why the intercounty over 40s was done away with. Seemingly it was being treated very very seriously in some counties (possibly far too seriously) and the GAA decided to put a stop to it with a view to a more recreational approach/ alternative which afaik never came about.

That's what I remember about it too . 90% sure this was the reason
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010