Ex-County players still playing club football at a brave oul age

Started by theticklemister, July 15, 2012, 10:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on July 16, 2012, 11:11:52 AM
Joe Irwin would have been at least 42/43 before he retired , Dermot Dougan and Gary Coleman would have been 38/39 before they quit
Was still playing reserves last year and Dermot Heaney was still playing recently also.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

haranguerer

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2012, 12:27:12 AM
Ciaran McDonald is still going great guns for Crossmalina at 37, scored 9 points in the club championship two weeks ago. John O' really made a hash of that whole episode, Ciaran Mc is among the purest footballers to ever grace a GAA pitch and if you could have got him to buy into a Brian Dooher-type role he would still be a serious weapon for them.

Wtf???

seanaglis

John Rafferty still lines out at half-forward for o'hanlons, poyntzpass.

His son is corner back

brokencrossbar1

John Donaldson is managing Cross II's and is playing as well and he's 41.

Syferus

Quote from: haranguerer on July 19, 2012, 05:46:46 PM
Ciaran McDonald is still going great guns for Crossmalina at 37, scored 9 points in the club championship two weeks ago. John O' really made a hash of that whole episode, Ciaran Mc is among the purest footballers to ever grace a GAA pitch and if you could have got him to buy into a Brian Dooher-type role he would still be a serious weapon for them.

Wtf???

It's not even a controversial statement. I'm sorry it put your nose out of joint.

DownFanatic

Back in June 2007, Enda Gormley scored 2-13 for Bredagh against us (Dundrum) in a Down ACFL Division 3 game at Cherryvale in South Belfast. I think he was about 41 at the time. Bredagh won that game 2-18 to 2-09.

Jody Gormley played centre half back that day while Irish News journo Paddy Heaney played at midfield for Bredagh.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Mick O'Connell played a few games for Valentia juniors a couple of years ago...he was 69 at the time I think! Still looked fairly fit aswell.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

maddog

Quote from: Armaghgael on July 19, 2012, 03:48:06 PM
How could anyone forget the most successful club player of all time Oisin McConville? He must be 36/37 and will be aiming for 3 in a row next year

37 in October i think. Could have done with him in roscommon

Armaghgael

Quote from: maddog on July 19, 2012, 07:16:24 PM
Quote from: Armaghgael on July 19, 2012, 03:48:06 PM
How could anyone forget the most successful club player of all time Oisin McConville? He must be 36/37 and will be aiming for 3 in a row next year

37 in October i think. Could have done with him in roscommon

Most definitely could still do a job for Armagh 
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Orchardman

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on July 19, 2012, 06:56:16 PM
Mick O'Connell played a few games for Valentia juniors a couple of years ago...he was 69 at the time I think! Still looked fairly fit aswell.

u serious? did he kick any scores

TacadoirArdMhacha

Martin McQuillan played in a B championship semi-final a couple of years back, 2009 I think. He would have been around 45 at the time.

Mattie Lennon looked in serious shape playing the recreational football earlier this year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

haranguerer

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2012, 06:19:09 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on July 19, 2012, 05:46:46 PM

Wtf???

It's not even a controversial statement. I'm sorry it put your nose out of joint.

Its just a really bizarre statement. As you say he is one of the purest footballers ever to grace a pitch, you seem to be suggesting its a pity he didnt buy into a workhorse role??! Who would want him to, and how would that have made him more effective? If ever there was a player who didnt suit a brian dooher type role its CMcD

Syferus

I'm talking Brian Dooher in the last few years where he was a a deep-set link man with vertern leadership, not as a mop-up man. McD's vision as a passer would make him ideal for that sort of role, maybe what Paraig Joyce still offers Galway or what Frankie Dolan is doing for St. Brigids are better examples, classy footballers who have become real playmakers in their 30s.

Orchardman

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 19, 2012, 09:39:01 PM
Martin McQuillan played in a B championship semi-final a couple of years back, 2009 I think. He would have been around 45 at the time.

Mattie Lennon looked in serious shape playing the recreational football earlier this year.

when he was clady manager in around 2008 he ended up putting himself on in the junior champo final, phily loughran was sent off that day they they were beat by some other shite team

demusicman

Brendan Melia was sub goalie for Meath in centenary year 1984 when they won defeating Monaghan.
He recently played in goals  for Moynalvey against Carnaross.
Surely he qualifies as a special when he comes to an ex- county player still playing.