Cecil the Lion

Started by omaghjoe, August 06, 2015, 07:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2015, 10:45:25 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 06, 2015, 10:42:03 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2015, 10:33:52 PM
Lions kill humans all the time, the b**tards.

But at least they generally then eat them, not take pictures and put them on Facebook.
Fair point. Make that inconsiderate dentist eat the buckin lion and be done.

Dentists drill people and pull out their teeth. What would you suggest for them?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Puckoon

Believe me, $100 for a "specimen" of any type of human sample is minimally covering cost. Considering you'll pay up to $1000 for a 10 ml vial of monkey blood, or $31,000 for a 120ml vial of rabbit vitreous humor - If Planned Parenthood were in business to "sell fetal tissues", they are sucking big time. FFS a World Courier overnight biologically packaged shipment will run you anywhere from $500 to $2,500 depending on destination.

Hate them because you don't agree with abortion. Don't buy into a set up.

The Iceman

Quote from: Puckoon on August 06, 2015, 11:55:10 PM
Believe me, $100 for a "specimen" of any type of human sample is minimally covering cost. Considering you'll pay up to $1000 for a 10 ml vial of monkey blood, or $31,000 for a 120ml vial of rabbit vitreous humor - If Planned Parenthood were in business to "sell fetal tissues", they are sucking big time. FFS a World Courier overnight biologically packaged shipment will run you anywhere from $500 to $2,500 depending on destination.

I don't think they are in business to sell baby parts - I think it's a side income. Like popcorn at movie theaters. With all due respect I don't think you called young Puck a fetus while she was in her Mother's womb so lets use the word "baby" and give the child something here fair enough?

They are a manipulative outfit. They talk women in to abortions. They convince women they don't have an option. I've sat and listened to some women who went through it with them - unfortunately some of them went through with it and thankfully others didn't but Planned Parenthood are not the Girl Scouts (even thought they sponsor them).....

The company that is collecting "specimens" from Planned Parenthood would surely sell it on to research labs/companies at a profit? I highly doubt the man who owns the monkeys from which the blood is extracted is being paid $1000? Raw materials to finished products, there is a mark up all along the way.

I'm not buying in to a set up - I know who PP. Please don't buy in to a cover up.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 07, 2015, 12:24:26 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on August 06, 2015, 11:55:10 PM

I don't think they are in business to sell baby parts - I think it's a side income. Like popcorn at movie theaters. With all due respect I don't think you called young Puck a fetus while she was in her Mother's womb so lets use the word "baby" and give the child something here fair enough?

They are a manipulative outfit. They talk women in to abortions. They convince women they don't have an option. I've sat and listened to some women who went through it with them - unfortunately some of them went through with it and thankfully others didn't but Planned Parenthood are not the Girl Scouts (even thought they sponsor them).....

The company that is collecting "specimens" from Planned Parenthood would surely sell it on to research labs/companies at a profit? I highly doubt the man who owns the monkeys from which the blood is extracted is being paid $1000? Raw materials to finished products, there is a mark up all along the way.

I'm not buying in to a set up - I know who PP. Please don't buy in to a cover up.

But again, there is no proof of any "income". Just covering costs. Maybe it will be there in the remaining videos, but I doubt it.

And the middle man stuff is a separate issue to PP. If there is something illegal going on there, then of course it should be investigated. Is the middle man supposed to be non-profit? If the US religious right has a problem with this, then I will await their objections to the billion-dollar weapons and war industry.

As for those you know who've been through it, in what context did you hear their stories? How many?

If the funding is pulled for them, I'd love to know where all these low-income Medicaid women are going to go for their reproductive healthcare (and yes, the vast majority of PP's work is routine day-to-day womens' health stuff, same as the Well Women clinic or what have you at home). The Republicans are certainly going to do nothing for them.

J70

On your earlier quote Iceman:

"If we alter our process, and we are able to obtain intact fetal cadavers, we can make it part of the budget that any dissections are this, and splitting the specimens into different shipments is this. It's all just a matter of line items."

"no alteration of the timing, method, or procedures used to terminate the pregnancy was made solely for the purposes of obtaining the tissue"

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/289g-1

That does appear to be illegal, and it should be investigated.

So that may be a black mark against PP from those videos, assuming it wasn't just this woman talking and nothing more.

The Iceman

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/06/an-unarmed-white-teen-was-shot-dead-by-police-his-family-asks-where-is-the-outrage/?postshare=5691438959904493

I think this is a fairly good example of the media bias. If this lad was black he would be all over the news. Unarmed teen shot while his girlfriend ate ice cream in the car beside him....

Not part of the agenda the Media wants us to hear so it's buried somewhere....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 07, 2015, 05:28:11 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/06/an-unarmed-white-teen-was-shot-dead-by-police-his-family-asks-where-is-the-outrage/?postshare=5691438959904493

I think this is a fairly good example of the media bias. If this lad was black he would be all over the news. Unarmed teen shot while his girlfriend ate ice cream in the car beside him....

Is the issue not the frequency with which it happens? Are whites routinely targeted by police like minorities, especially blacks are? I've never been stopped and frisked in NYC. I guarantee you if I was black, I would have been, probably at least several times. I don't think anyone has ever said that white people are never wrongly killed or assaulted by police. Its an issue of proportion.

muppet

Why do we seem to have only one level of outage?

We can jump to this level pretty quickly, but the triggers can be unbelievably varied.

For example, reading about the likes of ISIS, the latest child victim of an Israeli attack, The Famine or Clerical Child abuse in Ireland or The Holocaust can invoke strong feelings, and understandably so.

But then Theiry Henry's handball, that incident against <insert enemy county> or Ian Botham calling Australians 'convicts' can all invoke exactly the same outpouring of anger. Maybe even more so.

But it is hardly the same thing.

Then further, your grandaunt, who you see once a year, can be completely outraged that you weren't invited to the wedding of a cousin you have never met. She will feel every bit as strongly as anyone reacting to any of the above events. We all know equivalents of this type of event and the media are hardly to blame here.

Why is it that we can only be 'outraged' and not say 5% outraged or 25% outraged?

MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 07, 2015, 05:35:38 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 07, 2015, 05:28:11 PM

Is the issue not the frequency with which it happens? Are whites routinely targeted by police like minorities, especially blacks are? I've never been stopped and frisked in NYC. I guarantee you if I was black, I would have been, probably at least several times. I don't think anyone has ever said that white people are never wrongly killed or assaulted by police. Its an issue of proportion.

Well having considered it again this highlights the reluctance maybe of the media to showcase more police brutality? I'm very torn on it all.
There's definitely bias from the police towards black people. No doubt. But there is some crazy situations where your life is or could be on the line and calls have to be made. I don't know given the circumstances which I would choose. Shoot or be shot... Actually I do know - I would shoot, selfishly, I would shoot. I'm not saying all of these cases are cut and dry and the officer had every right to shoot.

In the case of this young lad it was foolish to drive at a cop. The cop could have jumped - responding with lethal force wasn't the answer....

But it isn't being showcased at the minute as it doesn't fit into the media's agenda.  Living in different parts of the country you can see a real bias. In Seattle everything is pro gay. No mention of Planned Parenthood, or anything moderately religious on the news. Unless its misquoting Pope Francis.... nothing of real note but the new rainbow crosswalks we had installed by the gay mayor for tens of thousands of dollars a pop....

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2015, 07:24:35 PM
Why do we seem to have only one level of outage?

We can jump to this level pretty quickly, but the triggers can be unbelievably varied.

For example, reading about the likes of ISIS, the latest child victim of an Israeli attack, The Famine or Clerical Child abuse in Ireland or The Holocaust can invoke strong feelings, and understandably so.

But then Theiry Henry's handball, that incident against <insert enemy county> or Ian Botham calling Australians 'convicts' can all invoke exactly the same outpouring of anger. Maybe even more so.

But it is hardly the same thing.

Then further, your grandaunt, who you see once a year, can be completely outraged that you weren't invited to the wedding of a cousin you have never met. She will feel every bit as strongly as anyone reacting to any of the above events. We all know equivalents of this type of event and the media are hardly to blame here.

Why is it that we can only be 'outraged' and not say 5% outraged or 25% outraged?

Ha your right muppet, its a good question.

Is it something to do with showing a level of support and solidarity with the cause, person? And the notion that if you are showing more visible audible outrage you are giving more support?

Strange notion to have, considering we are supposed to live in a democracy where every person has the same level of contribution to decision making.

dferg

Why do people keep bringing unrelated event into a discussion? What about...

Like if I went into the doctors because I have piles. The doctor wouldn't just dismiss me because someone earlier in the day had cancer.

muppet

Quote from: dferg on August 07, 2015, 10:20:41 PM

Like if I went into the doctors because I have piles. The doctor wouldn't just dismiss me because someone earlier in the day had cancer.

How long have you had piles?
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

LOL welcome to GAAboard dferg!

You have a few masters of it in this thread (including myself of course!) I recently become entangled in a debate about the French Royalty's relationship to the Louvre, in the United Ireland thread :D

When it happens most other posters ignore it, I dont have the foggiest what those two are waffling about TBH, and just pass over their posts

However when I do I fall into the trap and become embroiled in the weirdest tangents with people, I sometimes believe that others are reading it, but in actual fact they don't give a hoot. And even tho I try to be fair, it inevitability it just becomes me and my adversary in an ego joust!

dferg

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2015, 10:24:12 PM

I've had them for a while but because of the black death, the 3 year drought in East Africa and Colm O'Neill's recurring cruciate injuries I've been reluctant to bring it up.

muppet

Quote from: dferg on August 07, 2015, 10:40:59 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2015, 10:24:12 PM

I've had them for a while but because of the black death, the 3 year drought in East Africa and Colm O'Neill's recurring cruciate injuries I've been reluctant to bring it up.

Bummer.
MWWSI 2017