Cecil the Lion

Started by omaghjoe, August 06, 2015, 07:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 06, 2015, 03:51:33 PM
It's all the media!
Nobody gave a shit about the confederate flag until the media told us to. Nobody gave a shit about Cecil the Lion until the Media told us to.

A child gets burned to death in Palestine.....crickets.....planned parenthood are selling the parts of aborted babies.....nothing to see here.....

The issue with the media is that they quickly move on to the next story, NOT that they hype up a single story per se. For something like the confederate flag, it was always going to take some tragedy to kickstart the movement.  Same with gun control. Or environmental legislation. Change always needs a poster child.

You could argue that these selectively edited Planned Parenthood videos are designed to do just that. (And it has been all over the news the last three weeks,  but the hype about what is supposedly in the videos has not panned out, hence it fading - I've yet to see anything to suggest they are selling body parts)
you have yet to see it because it isn't being reported.The judge who blocked the investigators from pursuing the investigation turned out to be the husband of a pro-abortion campaigner!
Since the videos were released (shocked you contest the content and what they point out) several states have scapped their funding -states like Florida have investigated Planned Parenthood and discovered they were performing illegal late term abortions and have fined them. They also have fined them for not keeping a log (no evidence) of how they have disposed od the body parts....

You downplay all these things as just another story but they arent  - 19 women executed by ISIS for not having sex with the soldiers - Christian executed every week - Zimbabwe people less in need than a Lion but we're more focused on what the media says is important this week - its rarely real news - we will be watering crops with Gatorade soon - electrolytes!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 06, 2015, 07:21:54 AM
Not sure what the big deal is with the killing of this lion? It was old, wandered outside of the National Park, and was taken out of its misery.

Could someone explain all the moral outrage?

That is not true, and is a stupid statement

Quote from: GJL on August 06, 2015, 08:00:54 AM
The same day Cecil was shot there was a Palestinian baby burned to death in his own house by Israelis. Hardly a word about it. Never under estimate the power of Jewish controlled media.....

It's all the media!
Nobody gave a shit about the confederate flag until the media told us to. Nobody gave a shit about Cecil the Lion until the Media told us to.

A child gets burned to death in Palestine.....crickets.....planned parenthood are selling the parts of aborted babies.....nothing to see here.....

First sentence, not true. Plenty of valid opinions on the death of this lion, the baby in palestine - and I note you aren't against perpetuating the planned parenthood "spin" story. Plenty of "media telling people how to feel" about that. They aren't even reporting the entire truth of the PP story.

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 02:26:54 PM
I think the internet mob pile - on is way over the top, as it always is with the "outrage" of the week. And I'm a little skeptical of the Zimbabwean government's outrage also. And no doubt this animal's "celebrity" status played a role.

At the same time, there is no excuse for what this dude, or all the other trophy hunters did and do. Even if he had killed the animal in a humane fashion,  which he didn't,  why are these arseholes permitted to kill endangered species.  It's not wild hogs or white-tailed deer they're "hunting". And their fees are not generally going into conservation efforts either. And even if they were,  there is far more money to be made in eco-tourism.

Finally a true statement. The response to the killing of the Lion has been some of the stupidest I've seen. People wanting to kill the Dentist, castrate the dentist. Not to mention the "1 Lion gets killed, no one mentions (insert Palestinian baby, aborted tissues for research etc.. etc...)

This Lion story has deflated what little hope I had for the general population of America. Dumb as a box of rocks.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 06, 2015, 07:09:57 PM
It's all the media!

The issue with the media is that they quickly move on to the next story, NOT that they hype up a single story per se. For something like the confederate flag, it was always going to take some tragedy to kickstart the movement.  Same with gun control. Or environmental legislation. Change always needs a poster child.

You could argue that these selectively edited Planned Parenthood videos are designed to do just that. (And it has been all over the news the last three weeks,  but the hype about what is supposedly in the videos has not panned out, hence it fading - I've yet to see anything to suggest they are selling body parts)
you have yet to see it because it isn't being reported.The judge who blocked the investigators from pursuing the investigation turned out to be the husband of a pro-abortion campaigner!
Since the videos were released (shocked you contest the content and what they point out) several states have scapped their funding -states like Florida have investigated Planned Parenthood and discovered they were performing illegal late term abortions and have fined them. They also have fined them for not keeping a log (no evidence) of how they have disposed od the body parts....

You downplay all these things as just another story but they arent  - 19 women executed by ISIS for not having sex with the soldiers - Christian executed every week - Zimbabwe people less in need than a Lion but we're more focused on what the media says is important this week - its rarely real news - we will be watering crops with Gatorade soon - electrolytes!

If they are being blocked, why have five videos been released, including one earlier this very week?? And I even heard on an NPR report the word "selling " used,  as if it were fact. Yet nothing in the five films so far supports that. All I can see/hear are discussions about covering costs, with no profit discussed anywhere. Until evidence of that turns up, this looks like nothing more than trumped up charges and a dishonest right wing capitalizing on it.

I wouldn't mind, but objecting to abortion and the use of foetal tissue for research is something that a fair minded person could make a strong, honest, argument for.  Why not do it on those terms, instead of the usual intellectually dishonest bullshit you get from the religious right?

And what does states pulling funding have to do with it? All it proves is that this issue is a political football,  which we already knew. As for Florida,  those centers got done for second term abortions without the proper license. Don't see ANYTHING about selling foetal remains.

J70

And Iceman,  on your second point,  don't you think the media hype reflects what interests people? They're into ratings. The lion story arose out a viral internet story. Same as Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner. When ISIS kills another American, then the public will care. Same as this time next week, the average American won't give a shit about endangered wildlife, especially if charismatic species are not involved. And in a few weeks no one will give a shit about the Planned Parenthood "outrage" because the politicians and talk radio will have milked it dry and moved on.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Puckoon on August 06, 2015, 07:13:30 PM
Not sure what the big deal is with the killing of this lion? It was old, wandered outside of the National Park, and was taken out of its misery.

Eh? Whats not true about it?

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 06, 2015, 08:40:27 PM

Cecil, the departed feline, was more middle aged than old. As the prime lion of the pride he must have been in good shape. He was lured out of the park for the purposes of shooting him.

There is a lot of hype about this, to be sure. But the general point is that mutiple people like Gabriel Hurl will visit these places and photograph wildlife, bringing money into the country. Poachers endanger this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

finbar o tool

There is a lot of hype about this, to be sure. But the general point is that mutiple people like Gabriel Hurl will visit these places and photograph wildlife, bringing money into the country. Poachers endanger this.
[/quote]

Amen to that!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on August 06, 2015, 08:48:05 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 06, 2015, 08:40:27 PM

Cecil, the departed feline, was more middle aged than old. As the prime lion of the pride he must have been in good shape. He was lured out of the park for the purposes of shooting him.

He was 13, if he was unlucky enough he would have another year left in which he would likely starve or die from disease or fight wounds.

If he lured out that's fair enuff shouldnt have happened, but after initial reports that story seems to be on the wane, plus it will be impossible to prove.

What we know for sure is that he wandered outside of the park and was shot with a legal permit.

93-DY-SAM

The outrage over this esp on Facebook was completely out of proportion. Yes it was wrong to kill the lion and your man the dentist  should rightly be punished for it but people were trying to argue this lions life was equilivent to that of a human. Get real FFS.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 06, 2015, 09:07:11 PMIf he lured out that's fair enuff shouldnt have happened, but after initial reports that story seems to be on the wane, plus it will be impossible to prove.

What we know for sure is that he wandered outside of the park and was shot with a legal permit.

Lured or wandered? Make your mind up. Also why did the fellas try to destroy the GPS tracking device on him? 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 06, 2015, 09:48:16 PM

Lured or wandered? Make your mind up.

Definitely wandered, but also may have been lured, dont know for sure.

Also why did the fellas try to destroy the GPS tracking device on him?

Didn't even know that they did. I don't know, what's your opinion?

Gabriel_Hurl

My opinion is Lion bars are tasty

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 07:27:15 PM
It's all the media!

If they are being blocked, why have five videos been released, including one earlier this very week?? And I even heard on an NPR report the word "selling " used,  as if it were fact. Yet nothing in the five films so far supports that. All I can see/hear are discussions about covering costs, with no profit discussed anywhere. Until evidence of that turns up, this looks like nothing more than trumped up charges and a dishonest right wing capitalizing on it.

I wouldn't mind, but objecting to abortion and the use of foetal tissue for research is something that a fair minded person could make a strong, honest, argument for.  Why not do it on those terms, instead of the usual intellectually dishonest bullshit you get from the religious right?

And what does states pulling funding have to do with it? All it proves is that this issue is a political football,  which we already knew. As for Florida,  those centers got done for second term abortions without the proper license. Don't see ANYTHING about selling foetal remains.
An injunction of sorts was placed after 4 videos and the 5th one was released despite that.
I find it hard to understand your view and defense of Planned Parenthood in light of the videos. Its clear from the multiple conversations that Planned Parenthood are offering organs and $100 per specimen was mentioned multiple times. What more evidence do you need that some form of "selling: has and is occurring? Yes Planned Parenthood can dance around terms but it's a donate $10 and get a free car-wash deal.....

A fair minded person could make an argument for abortion and the "donation" of organs???? Have you seen an abortion happen? Do you know what tools are used? Can you begin to imagine what is going on when a baby is being held in position so as not to damage a heart, a liver or a kidney while it is being harvested? Can you imagine what it means to abort a baby "whole" ? The 5th video talks about it specifically!
"If we alter our process, and we are able to obtain intact fetal cadavers, we can make it part of the budget that any dissections are this, and splitting the specimens into different shipments is this. It's all just a matter of line items."
I'm not sure where you are going with this J70?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2015, 10:33:52 PM
Lions kill humans all the time, the b**tards.

But at least they generally then eat them, not take pictures and put them on Facebook.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on August 06, 2015, 10:28:57 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 06, 2015, 07:27:15 PM
It's all the media!

An injunction of sorts was placed after 4 videos and the 5th one was released despite that.
I find it hard to understand your view and defense of Planned Parenthood in light of the videos. Its clear from the multiple conversations that Planned Parenthood are offering organs and $100 per specimen was mentioned multiple times. What more evidence do you need that some form of "selling: has and is occurring? Yes Planned Parenthood can dance around terms but it's a donate $10 and get a free car-wash deal.....

A fair minded person could make an argument for abortion and the "donation" of organs???? Have you seen an abortion happen? Do you know what tools are used? Can you begin to imagine what is going on when a baby is being held in position so as not to damage a heart, a liver or a kidney while it is being harvested? Can you imagine what it means to abort a baby "whole" ? The 5th video talks about it specifically!
"If we alter our process, and we are able to obtain intact fetal cadavers, we can make it part of the budget that any dissections are this, and splitting the specimens into different shipments is this. It's all just a matter of line items."
I'm not sure where you are going with this J70?

1. I did not argue FOR abortion or use of foetal tissue for research.  Read it again.  I thought it was clear that I saying a legitimate argument can be made without the hype and misrepresentation.
2. Have you no clue about tissue preservation and shipping costs and so on when it comes to biological specimens?
3.You are the one who introduced the topic.