Top 8 teams in the country

Started by seafoid, May 11, 2017, 09:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

As was mentioned the GAA and Ireland is much more urban now and needs to compete more in these areas. The classic town clubs will always be there while ithers can't tap into things.
I know in and around Athlone a lad was telling me about organised street leagues he played in years ago. Is that a thing still?
They are something the paid coaches could be doing with local support. Then we all gave to be patient to see what happens Dublin, Kerry plus maybe another 2 while the others scrap it out.
Realistically the top 8 has really always been a top 4 with interchangeable teams that have great summers but can't get over the line.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

shark

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 13, 2017, 02:01:51 PM
As was mentioned the GAA and Ireland is much more urban now and needs to compete more in these areas. The classic town clubs will always be there while ithers can't tap into things.
I know in and around Athlone a lad was telling me about organised street leagues he played in years ago. Is that a thing still?
They are something the paid coaches could be doing with local support. Then we all gave to be patient to see what happens Dublin, Kerry plus maybe another 2 while the others scrap it out.
Realistically the top 8 has really always been a top 4 with interchangeable teams that have great summers but can't get over the line.

The street leagues were organised by Athlone GAA. But at the time they were setup they were the only club on the Westmeath side. Garrycastle were formed in the early 80's and the street leagues died. The towns are a huge battleground for players. You can have guys from the same estates playing with different clubs.