Mickey Harte new Louth manager?

Started by Gael85, November 23, 2020, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 30, 2022, 07:12:05 PM

I think the fact that they won 2 promotions in a row kinda proves McConville right though.

A lot of people seem to think that because Louth is the smallest sized county it's got a small population.

However in the last census it was the county with the 18th biggest population (it was less than 2,000 behind Mayo in 17th and about 10,000 ahead of Clare in 19th)

It was the 6th most populous Leinster County.

I know soccer has a serious hold in the county but you'd have to think there is serious potential to develop the game in the county given those sort of numbers.

Surviving in Division 2 next year is going to be a serious ask (both for them and Limerick)

I'm not sure about their chances in terms of the Tailteann Cup if they do get relegated next year.

I can't help wonder if Mickey might be a manager who is a bit ambivalent about it.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the teams who do end up in the Tailteann Cup after getting relegated from Division 2 struggle in the year they get relegated.

Over the last decade the form of teams who get relegated in the league has tended to be pretty poor in that year's championship bar a handful of exceptions and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen with the Tailteann Cup over the next few years - out of the 4 relegated teams this year (Down, Offaly, Wicklow, Longford) the only one I wouldn't be surprised to see have any real impact are Offaly.

Louth county board more than McConville would be the ones that got it right to appoint Harte. Lets be honest it raised plenty of eyebrows when he was appointed. 

Down probably need more Kilcoo players to join up to turn things around and that probably won't happen this summer.  Other teams relegated from Div 2 will have prepared for the Tailteann cup against better opposition and if they take it serious/keep the majority of best players on board they should be there or thereabout to winning that 2nd tier competition.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 30, 2022, 08:29:36 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 29, 2022, 11:10:53 PM
Knowing Mickey he ll be convincing Louth that Dublin can be taken this year.
if ever there was a year to do it. What I could see happening is Kildare beating Dublin then a weaker county catching Kildare in the final. (Assuming Kildare meet the Dubs before the final.)

Louth have Carlow first, then Kildare. Should be tasty. Semis are open draw.

QUARTER FINALS:    
4.   Dublin   v   Offaly/Wexford   30.4.2021   6.30pm   Tullamore/Wexford   
5.   Meath   v   Laois/Wicklow   01.05.2022   TBC   Portlaoise/Navan   
6   Kildare   v   Louth/Carlow   01.05.2022   TBC   Navan/Portlaoise/Tullamore   
7.   Westmeath   v   Longford   01.05.2022   TBC   TEG Cusack Park

armaghniac

Kildare would be seriously pissed if they were beaten by Louth in a year when Dublin are vulnerable.
On thing about Harte being in charge of Louth, it would be inappropriate to have a Tyrone referee.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Blowitupref

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 29, 2022, 05:41:04 PM
Took on the Louth gig in November 2020 when they were just relegated to Division 4 losing 6 of their 7 games.

March 2022 Louth promoted to Division 2.

An update on this.  This year Louth when tipped for relegation finished 3rd in Div 2 and today has led Louth to their first Leinster final in 13 years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

square_ball

Maybe Mickey knows what he's doing after all.

clarshack

Quote from: square_ball on April 30, 2023, 04:25:03 PM

Nobody said he didn't know what he was doing, he just stayed in the Tyrone job far too long.

screenexile

Quote from: square_ball on April 30, 2023, 04:25:03 PM

Tyrone should give him a shout next time they're playing Offaly!

Cunny Funt

He's done some job with them when most myself including was left surprised by this appointment. Would Jim Gavin have done a better job with Louth?

Wildweasel74

Nope, Harte done a great job with them with a fairly small pick.

From the Bunker

Mickey knows his stuff! Also this caliber of Manager means that you will get a higher percentage of good players to commit to the county team. Players who would otherwise say why bother. Players will buy into a system, buy into a belief and will buy into strength and conditioning.

nrico2006

Louth had a handy draw this year, usually would at least have to face a Meath, Kildale or Dublin.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 30, 2023, 07:36:08 PM
Louth had a handy draw this year, usually would at least have to face a Meath, Kildale or Dublin.
The same Meath and Kildare that finished behind and lost to Louth in Division two this year?

square_ball

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 30, 2023, 07:51:12 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 30, 2023, 07:36:08 PM
The same Meath and Kildare that finished behind and lost to Louth in Division two this year?

Yeah I think Louth have confirmed their position as best of the rest in Leinster throughout league and championship.