Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

away on at wit ye

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 02, 2008, 02:29:57 PM

You're on the wind up. Raph Gatt, is that a real name?

Raph Gatt fegs.

Gold

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 02, 2008, 02:29:57 PM
Quote from: Gold on December 02, 2008, 02:16:09 PM
Just read St John's yearbook produced by Raph Gatt for their AGM last weekend. Its well worth lookin at and the amount of club games(all levels) Raph attends and work he puts in is unreal--many people in many clubs do such work but in many clubs its too few people who carry this workload.

Its interesting that Raph talks about the apathy that has led to the club not being able to field a 2nd team despite the team being in Div 3--a few years ago the Johnnies reserves were at the top of Div 2 and pushing for promotion to Div 1

Johnnies juvenile teams seem to be going well but their senior team when i saw them this year had too many slabbers--boys moaning at each other and referees, hittin dirty slaps--its sad to think that at the start of the decade they had a proper hard but fair team and that now its the opposite

They were lucky to stay up but now might turn the corner and rise again

You're on the wind up. Raph Gatt, is that a real name?

yes
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Gold

Quote from: toiletroller on December 02, 2008, 02:19:12 PM
is there a guy Ciaran Anderson that still plays for st Johns? Would have been a minor in the late 90's?

na, Aldo hasnt played the last few years--would be 27 and has been on the county panel in past--shows the problems in St John's that players such as him arnt/dont want to play for them

bannside

Some interesting newcomers in Bakers squad. Great to see the return of Davy Mc Alernon, liked what I saw of Conor Creaney and Darragh Edwards the couple of times I saw them in action. Big Mc Glinch will go very close as well. Four good additions. Conor Mc Goldrick would be a better age to do himself justice now as well. A fit Paddy Carey would be a real option at full back, a position we have had trouble filling since Martin Mulholland.

Would expect to see all/most of these six to do themselves justice. Good to see their inclusion.

The important thing now is to create a proper competitive environment for a first fifteen jersey - where it becomes the most valued jersey that player will wear. No more going through the motions. Bradley will know this is his priority, and hopefully he will succeed.

Sean Kelly a very obvious absentee, whats the crack there? Niblock out injured and no doubt CJ back in after Sigerson. Also, has big Joe called it a day? No Tony Convery or Mark Dougan either - surely they are in best 34 in the county!

Personally I would have worked hard to include Brendan Herron, and Peadar Mc Keever another good enough for the step up. Did Conall Kelly attend trials?

All in all, a better type of player emerging in Antrim than has been the case for many years. Lets get behind them.

imtommygunn

Who's Kevin McQuillan from Portglenone?

Does he not play for Dunloy or has he moved?

Not familiar with Creaney,Maxwell or the two Ahoghill boys but I think McAlearnon is a good addition.

What position is Douglas? The name rings a bell.

Good spread of clubs there. Good to see.

milltown row

Sean Kelly not playing? I'd said that before the squad was announced, CJ wont be playing also I'd say, just a hunch Kevin ;)

fitzroyalty

dara edwards could do a job..only this time last year he was trying out for Armagh

sail_in

QuoteNot familiar with Creaney,Maxwell or the two Ahoghill boys but I think McAlearnon is a good addition.

I'll only comment on the 2 Ahoghill lads:

Donal Graham - certainly won't be out of his depth at this level.  The only thing that will go against him is the fact that he's a left-footed corner forward and you could argue that even with the county the state it is, that this is one area in which we're not lacking.  Still, it's another option.

Neil O'Connell - plays midfield for Ahoghill (was still under 21 in 2008) and he's a big, strong lad.  Great fielder of the ball - it'll be a big step up from Antim Division 3 to Inter-County though!

Also, I stand to be corrected on this, but I think Michael Magill has played his last game round these parts for a good while.  He's working in London now and Randalstown were flying him back for their last few games this year.  Ditto Aidan Savage.

bannside

Whats the word with big Joe, Convery and Dougan. Just not make it, or what?

Sean Kelly the obvious blot on the landscape!

imtommygunn

Bannside does Kevin McQuillan play for you boys?

Is he formerly of Dunloy around the 21 or so mark?

NAG

He isnt formerly of Dunloy, he is still playing for them.
Was out injured for most of last yeat, would need some serious physical conditioning if he is going to make the grade at this level, though a good footballer.

Mhic Easmuint

Convery retired from county football and Joe from football completely I think.

Gold

Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on December 02, 2008, 03:35:52 PM
Antrims 2009 Mc Kenna Cup Panel includes 12 players who came through the recent trials,34 players are currentyly in the panel, 4 of whom will be on duty with their respective universitys.

David Mc Alernon Aghagallon
Neil O Connell Ahoghill
Donal Graham Ahoghill
Tony Scullion Cargin
Kieron Close Cargin
Michael Mc Cann Cargin
Thomas Mc Cann Cargin
Kevin O Boyle Cargin
Conor Creaney Glenavey
Paul Conlon Gortnamona
John Finucane Lamh Dhearg
Paddy Cunningham Lamh Dhearg
Kevin Brady Moneyglass
Paddy Carey Portglenone
Kevin Mc Quillan Portglenone
Martin Mc Carry Portglenone
Gerard Mc Aleese Portglenone
Benny Hasson Rasharkin
Darragh Edwards St Brigids
Conor Maxwell St Endas
Damien Gault St Endas
Andy Mc Lean St Galls
Colin Brady St Galls
Adian Gallagher St Galls
Aaron Douglas St Johns
Kevin Mc Glinchey St Johns
Sean Mc Greevey St Pauls
Liam Carlin St Pauls
Conor Mc Goldrick St Teresas
Michael Mc Gill Tir Na Nog

James Loughrey Queens St Brigids
Justin Crozier Queens Cargin
Sean Burke Queens St Galls
Michael Pollock   St Marys Gort na Mona

where are the scores gonna come from?? id try edwards and Loughrey in full forward line with Tomas McCann flying off them

our problem the last few years is that our attck has had no target men, no focal point--no ball winners--my ma could stop CJ and Cunningham winning ball if they were the 2 man full forward line--football is simple enough when played right--win ball in midfield and drive it into a full forward line of pace and strength who can win ball, lay it off or get fouled--bang bang bang it in in front of them

our defence is never good so we need scores--to get scores we need strength, pace and power--Magill also an option in there--Baker knows about full forwards--its the winning of a game--we need to get it right

Our Nail Loney

Dara Edwards formerly of Eire Og in Craigavon??  :D Good luck

JimStynes

You and Dara Edwards as a 2 man full forward line would have done some damage for the ogs, pity they couldnt keep both of you at the club.