Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on December 27, 2020, 06:59:00 PM
To "improve the football championship" it needs to become competitive with a number of reasonable contenders.
Right now it's the equivalent of Liverpool playing in the Irish soccer league.
So you either curtail/divide the monster or create a few more monsters.
Over to you GAA .

No, its like Dundalk playing in the Irish league.

Rather than whinge and look to handicap them, other clubs knuckled down and figured out how to beat them on less of a budget.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 27, 2020, 07:25:28 PM
To "improve the football championship" it needs to become competitive with a number of reasonable contenders.
Over to you GAA .

Rather than whinge and look to handicap them, other clubs knuckled down and figured out how to beat them on less of a budget.

Why cant ye figure out how to win on less of a Budget?

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 27, 2020, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 06:27:44 PM
What I do see is that Mayo people know more about football than anyone else.

They don't care about improving the football championship. They're only interested in trying to weaken Dublin so they have a better chance to win the All Ireland. What every other county does is irrelevant

Sounds familiar, you might take a look mirror!

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 27, 2020, 06:27:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 27, 2020, 04:53:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 04:22:35 PM
While splitting Dublin the new name could be 'the couldn't beat Dublin cup'

A honest question, if and it's a big if, if Dublin was split, will that make it easier for the rest to win in the long term?

Or will Dublin, because of their growth, just continue to develop?

I would suggest reorganising things every century or so.

To be fair, I like most don't care anymore. Meath, Kildare and the Leinster crew don't care. All in Munster don't care bar Kerry, they never did bar the odd year Cork make a run. The 3 Connacht counties the last decade thought they were making progress. All have realised it is beyond them. Mayo were close but no cigar. Ulster have their own thing going on. But the main runners - Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan look to be caught in a loop.

Did you know that Clubs originally represented counties in the AI series?

Did you know the AI competition used to be knockout, No back door?

Did you know Ulster Finals used to be played in Croke Park?

Did you know Dublin used to play League games in Parnell Park?

Did you know Galway footballers used to play in Tuam?

Did you know goals once only counted in football and points were only counted in the event of a draw?

Did you know frees and sidelines used to be always taken from the ground?

Did you know Gaelic football came from Association football?

Did you know that Soccer and Rugby were once banned from Croke Park?

We have had changes in our games. Some we have never known about. Some we have forgotten about.

A fall off in interest which will see a drop in revenue will hasten change.

Most sports change the rules to make them more exciting. Now some people want the rules changed because one team is too good. It's a sad state of affairs.

Of course in the Hurling they put Antrim and Galway into Leinster, even Kerry can make an appearance there! Why? This is completely unnatural or does it make for a more exciting championship?

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 08:16:03 PM

They don't care about improving the football championship. They're only interested in trying to weaken Dublin so they have a better chance to win the All Ireland. What every other county does is irrelevant

I've no interest in weakening any county. I hope the 2nd tier competition is given a chance so counties like Carlow, Louth, Leitrim have a chance to win a major trophy. Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone etc don't need help.

Sure Mayo had bring in Ger Cafferkey to their back room team as the player's values and behaviour coach. I'd focus On why Mayo need to spend money on that

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 27, 2020, 09:05:55 PM

I've no interest in weakening any county. I hope the 2nd tier competition is given a chance so counties like Carlow, Louth, Leitrim have a chance to win a major trophy. Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone etc don't need help.

Sure Mayo had bring in Ger Cafferkey to their back room team as the player's values and behaviour coach. I'd focus On why Mayo need to spend money on that

They have to learn the values of playing for their county as an amateur. Stuff like sweeping out the Dressing room after a game. Being humble and recording this event and putting it up online. Maybe getting a TV presenter to tweet said video.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 08:21:07 PM

A honest question, if and it's a big if, if Dublin was split, will that make it easier for the rest to win in the long term?

To be fair, I like most don't care anymore. Meath, Kildare and the Leinster crew don't care. All in Munster don't care bar Kerry, they never did bar the odd year Cork make a run. The 3 Connacht counties the last decade thought they were making progress. All have realised it is beyond them. Mayo were close but no cigar. Ulster have their own thing going on. But the main runners - Donegal, Tyrone and Monaghan look to be caught in a loop.

Did you know goals once only counted in football and points were only counted in the event of a draw?

We have had changes in our games. Some we have never known about. Some we have forgotten about.

Most sports change the rules to make them more exciting. Now some people want the rules changed because one team is too good. It's a sad state of affairs.

Of course in the Hurling they put Antrim and Galway into Leinster, even Kerry can make an appearance there! Why? This is completely unnatural or does it make for a more exciting championship?

I'd much prefer Kerry playing in Munster, it's such a competitive championship.

The reason Antrim are trying to get back to the Leinster championship is that it's better that what Ulster was of late...

Dublin maybe should enter the Ulster championship 

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2020, 10:11:58 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 08:21:07 PM

I'd much prefer Kerry playing in Munster, it's such a competitive championship.

The reason Antrim are trying to get back to the Leinster championship is that it's better that what Ulster was of late...

Dublin maybe should enter the Ulster championship

Are they a bit too good for the Ulster Hurling Championship?

Milltown Row2

Football...

But we'll see next year  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Halfquarter

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 09:48:40 PM

They have to learn the values of playing for their county as an amateur. Stuff like sweeping out the Dressing room after a game. Being humble and recording this event and putting it up online. Maybe getting a TV presenter to tweet said video.

By all accounts when the football season is finished for the Dublin players they head to the slums of Calcutta where they help Mother Theresa feed the poor and hungry.

Rossfan

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 27, 2020, 08:12:28 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 27, 2020, 07:25:28 PM
Over to you GAA .

Why cant ye figure out how to win on less of a Budget?
Dundalk has a population of 30,000.
There are 8 bigger population centres with teams in the Irish Soccer league.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Why are we talking about Dundalk? Dundalk are a Professional Soccer Club. They have professional and semi-professional players who sign contracts. Their season consists of home and away fixtures. If they play a final it is in a neutral venue.

The FAI don't give them lorry loads of Money to help them improve their coaching. They don't hand them the use of a stadium on a plate. They are an independent football club. Who collect money from gate receipts, sponsorship and competition prize money.

Their set-up is 100% different to the set-up of an inter-county team.

dublin7

Good stuff. At least they think it's about improving themselves to compete with Dublin rather than weakening Dublin to make it easier for them

6th sam

Quote from: dublin7 on December 28, 2020, 10:02:53 AM

Good stuff. At least they think it's about improving themselves to compete with Dublin rather than weakening Dublin to make it easier for them

I can't understand how any genuine Dub would want the status quo to continue. A team with probably the best culture and best spread of talent in the history of the game, isn't getting the chance to prove themselves in a fair competition.
Put aside the success breeds success phenomenon which they have benefitted from by winning an unfair competition , their population bias , location bias, and media bias.
Here's an initial simple list of advantages.
Gaa providing them with unlimited access to one of the best stadiums in Europe .
All games at home.
Preferential funding from GAA
Preferential sponsorship opportunities collective
Preferential sponsorship /perks for players eg cars, equipment/kit, nutrition, career opportunities.
Provincial system bias

I could go on.

Before even considering splitting Dublin, there are a number of the above advantages that need to be rectified to improve fairness, and thereby improve credibility for Dublin's success .

Nobody with any intelligence, can possibly argue against this

manfromdelmonte

Maybe other counties need to get better at sweeping out the dressing rooms and washing the water bottles after training and games.
Or collecting the training cones more efficiently.